Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:17 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LermFish View Post
I have to say, I'm curious as well. Much like the OP, I am black and libertarian-leaning. I've actually discouraged liberals/dems from moving because I like NH the way it is (sounds?), NOT for what it COULD be. So in all seriousness, do I have to worry about getting lit up by cops or am I good to go as long as I lean towards liberty, work hard, stay out of trouble and mind my own business? Thank in advance.
I can't answer about the police issue, because I have no experience with what being black here means, as far as law enforcement is concerned. I would like to think that it is all fair and rosy, but I really don't know. I can say that the couple of police encounters that I ("I" being a white, middle-aged woman) have had here has been very positive. Stopped a couple of times for out of date inspection stickers (oops) and each time the cop was nice and respectful. But I'm sure that doesn't help you much.

But, as I said earlier in the thread, I am encouraged by the increase of African Americans I see at work, in my local community, at the gym, at CrossFit, etc. In my observance, everyone seems to co-exist without issue. But again, consider my perspective. I can say that the African American families in my condo community seem very social with others here who all have children of similar ages.

Libertarian-leaning? You'll be just fine. Work hard, MYOB, have fun, follow your interests, whether that be community, political, sports, hobbies, all of the above and I think you'll be okay.

*Caveat: I live (obviously) in Nashua, so I can't speak for parts farther North.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
So in all seriousness, do I have to worry about getting lit up by cops or am I good to go as long as I lean towards liberty, work hard, stay out of trouble and mind my own business? Thank in advance.
Going by my white boyfriend's experiences, the local cops treat all vehicles alike, if you are speeding, have a loud exhaust, an expired inspection sticker, or doing anything else that you're not supposed to be doing, they will pull you over for the sake of generating income. No one is getting a pass for being white aka non-minority. The cops are looking at the vehicle, not the colour of the driver's skin.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:12 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
Quote:
I have to say, I'm curious as well. Much like the OP, I am black and libertarian-leaning. I've actually discouraged liberals/dems from moving because I like NH the way it is (sounds?), NOT for what it COULD be. So in all seriousness, do I have to worry about getting lit up by cops or am I good to go as long as I lean towards liberty, work hard, stay out of trouble and mind my own business? Thank in advance.
My faith and trust in the average LEO is pretty low. The handful of LEO friends that I have understand why. That being said if you're a straight shooter and don't break laws the cops are the last thing you'll need to worry about in NH. It will be the busy body day ladies in town always trying to figure out ways to increase the town's budget for "social, progressive" crap.

If you'd like specifics on the LEO stuff PM me.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:

Long hair bearded tatooed biker chiming in..in 30 years of riding I have only had one incident with a cop with an attitude here in NH although I have been pulled over a few times.. most times rode away with just a warning and the few times I have been ticketed I am man enough to say I deserved it.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 10,730 times
If what y'all are saying is true, I should be okay. I already have interviews scheduled so I'm hitting the ground running. Will work, keep the yard nice, and shut up. You know, simple stuff. Oh, and I won't vote democrat.

How are foreigners received in NH? I'm from the UK and an associate who is moving is Australian. We'll assimilate (not that there is much assimilation to do when the nations are all anglo), so no worry there. And like I said, I'm there to live the NH lifestyle, not change it. Just want to make it clear.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:25 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
If what y'all are saying is true, I should be okay. I already have interviews scheduled so I'm hitting the ground running. Will work, keep the yard nice, and shut up. You know, simple stuff. Oh, and I won't vote democrat.

How are foreigners received in NH? I'm from the UK and an associate who is moving is Australian. We'll assimilate (not that there is much assimilation to do when the nations are all anglo), so no worry there. And like I said, I'm there to live the NH lifestyle, not change it. Just want to make it clear.

Around here it wouldn't be a problem. We have a growing Indian community in Hillsborough County and I haven't seen assimilation problems, even though in most cases their culture is much different than the general US rural-ish culture. Of course, I am not living in their shoes, but I do have Indian colleagues and neighbors and they seem comfortable here. UK and Australian is closer to US culture, so it would probably be easy enough for you to settle in. I can't imagine you not being accepted here, regardless of where you come from. You seem to have the right attitude for NH.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:27 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Well, I think that our post is, if you ever get pulled over by a cop, it honestly won't be due to the colour of your skin. Or your foreign accent. As if you are polite and respectful to the officer, most likely (unless you have done something extremely horrible like excessive speeding) you will be let off with a warning.

So I hope you know that when you are pulled over in your car, pull your vehicle way over to the side of the road to park, so that the officer isn't going to be hit by a passing vehicle. Roll your window all of the way down and then shut off your engine. And place both of your hands on the steering wheel. If it is dark outside, then turn on your inside dome light so that the officer can see you better and that both of your hands are on the steering wheel.

Don't ever argue with the police officer. If you are in disagreement with the officer, just take the ticket and argue it later on in court.

^^^ I always do this, and I am an older (Asian) woman.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:21 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well, I think that our post is, if you ever get pulled over by a cop, it honestly won't be due to the colour of your skin. Or your foreign accent. As if you are polite and respectful to the officer, most likely (unless you have done something extremely horrible like excessive speeding) you will be let off with a warning.

So I hope you know that when you are pulled over in your car, pull your vehicle way over to the side of the road to park, so that the officer isn't going to be hit by a passing vehicle. Roll your window all of the way down and then shut off your engine. And place both of your hands on the steering wheel. If it is dark outside, then turn on your inside dome light so that the officer can see you better and that both of your hands are on the steering wheel.

Don't ever argue with the police officer. If you are in disagreement with the officer, just take the ticket and argue it later on in court.

^^^ I always do this, and I am an older (Asian) woman.
I might add that if you carry, let the officer know.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:19 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:

You will do fine here. NH really is laid-back, especially up north. There's no way you are going to be pulled over because of the color of your skin up here. There's no history of it that I'm aware of. New England folks, in general, can be stand-offish, but that's just a regional trait. Don't take it personally.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 PM

8 posts, read 10,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
You will do fine here. NH really is laid-back, especially up north. There's no way you are going to be pulled over because of the color of your skin up here. There's no history of it that I'm aware of. New England folks, in general, can be stand-offish, but that's just a regional trait. Don't take it personally.
I'm sorry. Stand-offish? Um, examples please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire