Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:56 AM

369 posts, read 962,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamien View Post
I suppose the "liberal" viewpoint is that "liberal" means caring and supporting those who need help, while "conservative" means turning your back on them.
"Liberal" = Raising taxes to spend on entitlement programs so they can feel better about thenselves, Everyone's a "victim" who needs government services to provide support.

"Conservative" = Reducing taxes and runaway government spending. We teach the concept of taking personal responsibility for our actions and work to make our lives better without government intervention.

There's plenty of private charities providing heating assistance, donated clothing and food banks and they are open to all. My wife volunteers her services at the local schools, my son and I work with one of the local food banks. We take both individual and collective action to assist the truly needy.

The only people I turn my back on are those who would restrict my liberty, take my money (through theft or taxes) and dictate what I should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,112,244 times
I believe you would be very happy in Peterborough. It's very child friendly. It's a small town with small town features. There is an annual children's art festival in the spring where they can display their creations. It's also the day they town has a 'rubber duck' race similar to the one held in Auburn, NH.

The play "Our Town" by Thornton Wilder is really about Peterborough.

In the summer, it seems that every other car has a kayak on top - but that's no real surprise as Eastern Mountain Sports is based there.

Episode 14 Peterborough NH - YouTube
^here is a great youtube that will introduce you to the town

Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 AM

193 posts, read 532,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
"Liberal" = Raising taxes to spend on entitlement programs so they can feel better about thenselves, Everyone's a "victim" who needs government services to provide support.

"Conservative" = Reducing taxes and runaway government spending. We teach the concept of taking personal responsibility for our actions and work to make our lives better without government intervention.

There's plenty of private charities providing heating assistance, donated clothing and food banks and they are open to all. My wife volunteers her services at the local schools, my son and I work with one of the local food banks. We take both individual and collective action to assist the truly needy.

The only people I turn my back on are those who would restrict my liberty, take my money (through theft or taxes) and dictate what I should do.

I'm with you, Mrtwigg. I wasn't suggesting that the "liberal" viewpoint was my own, or justified in any way, but certainly they don't see themselves as out-of-control and conservatives as the responsible lot. It's worthwhile trying to imagine their positions, at least, since by and large they're not bad people. How many of us actually see ourselves as bad people? I tend to think they're misguided and mistaken, but I also realize that they think I'm the one who is misguided and mistaken (or worse, if they really just think I'm a selfish uncaring person).

Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
Peterborough is a nice old town, lovely downtown area. It's actually a bit on the liberal side (for NH) as it has the McDowell art colony there so it attracts more artsy sorts of folks - who often are a little more liberal (for NH).

Definitely worth checking out. and no, you will not be the odd one out for not being Evangelical! NH folk don't really get into a lot of religion discussion, it tends to be a more personal thing.

Theres actualy a pretty cool hippy gypsie bar there. Can be a fun stop .

http://chamberinfo.peterboroughchamb...terborough.htm

Last edited by waterboy7375; 11-18-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 11:09 PM

56 posts, read 180,470 times
Peterborough is an amazing town! It may take a little time to get used to things being so much smaller than in Texas but people are wonderful and it is truly an amazing little town with a wonderful downtown. I would live in peterborough, dublin, or hancock. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 PM

7 posts, read 17,796 times
Thanks for all the replies. I'm feeling very hopeful about NH in general. Thanks too for the clarification on the NH nterputation of "liberal and conservative". I'm going to choose those words much carefully in the future

Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 AM

369 posts, read 962,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanabean View Post
Thanks too for the clarification on the NH nterputation of "liberal and conservative". I'm going to choose those words much carefully in the future
No harm, no foul.

Just runnin' pest control.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Well we could give ya a quick liberal test.
Are you pro union?
Do you think right to work is a bad idea?
Do you drive a vehicle made by a non union shop?
built in a right to work state?

If you answered yes to all the questions , you are a liberal.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 PM

18 posts, read 45,060 times
How is the weather in Peterborough? Long gray cold winters? I grew up in Chicago and the long gray icy winters were horrible! I couldnt' go back to that, but am interested in moving to Peterborough.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 AM

7,264 posts, read 4,179,925 times
I lived in Peterborough for a number of years. Winters are not as bad as in Chicago but it is New England none the less. Very nice town, nice people. One drawback is that you have to go over, or around, Pack Monadnock to get to Nashua area/ Mass. Can be an adventure in the winter. If you have a job that will allow you to live there I would do it. Many nice towns in the area. Sharon next to Peterborough has lower taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire