Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times

Advertisements

I don't know which part of Western NY you've lived in, but I lived an hour southeast of Buffalo and most of New Hampshire gets less snow than we got there. And none of that lake effect stuff, though the October storm bore a close resemblance to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I wish I had been by earlier in the day. It sounds like you and NH could be prefect for each other I know you mentioned that you're more of a visual person, so here's a simple map for you: the area inside the blue box will tend to get less snow than the areas outside the box. Of course rules are meant to be broken and there will be storms that skirt right up the coast and ONLY the area in blue will get hit. But generally speaking, north and/or western areas of NH can figure on getting jackpot snow totals.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Since we're talking about snow, and we're getting early storms this year, I thought I'd share a couple of local snow expectation maps.

This top one is for from WMUR about the storm that is making it's way toward us for tomorrow...

And this one is from NECN (New England Cable News) from the
October Surprise storm that left so much of NH without power for days...

Note that both of them have that angle that Wanna mentioned.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
see what I mean about weather going through on an angle?!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
That angle realy represents elevation more then anything . Most of our weather originates in the Ohio river vally. Wanna know what the weather will be tommorow. Check the ORV today.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM

73 posts, read 154,941 times
Thanks again everybody!

I'm grateful that the lot of you have chimed in and been able to help me form a clearer picture of the way snow hits the state and where the heavier snows are likely to be. It's no where near as bad as I was expecting (ok, can I admit that I was expecting to hear more about 8-12 foot snowfalls?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
Ah... the taste of foot...

Let me be the first to welcome you home and if you choose to settle in the Monadnock area be sure to say hello !

+ reps inbound.
Yea, we all make mistakes. Not finding out the full situation is one of those (which is of course why I'm plaguing the board with questions! LOL!) But thanks for the welcome and hell, even if we don't settle in the Monadnock area we can still swing by to say hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
Hi Erica-
if you've driven through MD.. you did the right thing: drive THROUGH! can't wait to get out of this state! <sigh>
You have my sincerest apologies that you're stuck there for now! Keep your chin up and keep your eyes on the future! You'll escape from MD! *even if you have to play the original mission impossible theme in your head!*

Quote:
in my experience growing up in southern NH (granted, that was a while ago) and watching weather maps, much of the snow goes through on an angle - well, the east coast IS on an angle. so from around Greenville/New Ipswich west is snowbelt, concord tends to be the top margin of less snow. so anything east of Greenville and south of Concord tends to have somewhat less snow than the rest of the state. but ti's that angular movement for why VT is always clobbered, and most of NH.. but that 'corner' of south-central/east is usually less so. mind you odd things can and do happen.
Weather always has the ability to be odd (like people) so it's a given it can play outside the box we make for it...but it's really good to know about the way it likes to angle in the state. When I lived in Albany & Schoharie NY I always assumed it was just bad luck (and the green mountains that made Vermont get clobbered (now I know better! Thanks!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Since we're talking about snow, and we're getting early storms this year, I thought I'd share a couple of local snow expectation maps.
Thanks Valerie--those are fantastic and exactly the kind of thing I can use to help me piece it all together.

Quote:
see what I mean about weather going through on an angle?!
Yea that's pretty clear now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
That angle realy represents elevation more then anything . Most of our weather originates in the Ohio river vally. Wanna know what the weather will be tommorow. Check the ORV today.
Thanks for that info. I didn't realize that either. My sum knowledge of how meteorolgy affects where I live was usually limited to knowing what the jetstream was doing (and I don't even know if they still blame the jetstream for the weather anymore! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I don't know which part of Western NY you've lived in, but I lived an hour southeast of Buffalo and most of New Hampshire gets less snow than we got there. And none of that lake effect stuff, though the October storm bore a close resemblance to it.
I was in Syracuse (and rochester for a little bit) as well as Schoharie (which isn't really central, but it did get the snow!). I honestly don't mind much snow as long as I know it's coming (as in I know I'm living in an area where in the course of a given storm I can expect 6 inches to 3 or 4 feet. Or more.)
I'd just hate the idea of moving someplace and thinking it's in the lighter snowbelt and getting clobbered all the time (due to my poor research).

Again, I really want to thank everyone. I know it can't be lots of fun to answer these kind of elementary questions--but you are the folk in the know!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 PM

155 posts, read 304,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyerica View Post
I'd just hate the idea of moving someplace and thinking it's in the lighter snowbelt and getting clobbered all the time (due to my poor research).
I know what you mean. It has taken me some research time and weather info has been among the tougher parts, but this forum has helped a lot. Some of the information Valerie C posted looks very good. While there is the lighter snowbelt, keep in mind that if that belt gets hit hard, other areas will get hit harder.

For me, the researching is primarily done and now for the interesting part: flying in to Manchester. Will visit my daughter, do some serious looking around Manchester and some neighboring areas in winter conditions, and, while I'm at it, have a promising job interview. Now trying to find a real estate agent to show me some interesting prospects while I'm there.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
OP - If or when you do move here I suggest you take a snow driving course at Tim O’Neil’s Driving school near Littleton. He has excellent instructors in winter driving and is worth the cost if you have not grown up driving on the slippery roads.

I have a few decades of driving ion snow and every winter I take both my cars to the local big parking lot and practice driving (mostly cornering, avoidance maneuvers and stopping) on the first weekend snowfall. Driving on snow is about the only thing I enjoy doing with the stuff.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM

73 posts, read 154,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - If or when you do move here I suggest you take a snow driving course at Tim O’Neil’s Driving school near Littleton. He has excellent instructors in winter driving and is worth the cost if you have not grown up driving on the slippery roads.

I have a few decades of driving ion snow and every winter I take both my cars to the local big parking lot and practice driving (mostly cornering, avoidance maneuvers and stopping) on the first weekend snowfall. Driving on snow is about the only thing I enjoy doing with the stuff.
Thanks Greg! I've looked them up online and it looks like it'd be well worth the money and the time. Thanks a bunch for that info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire