Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,839,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
They are a bunch of Realtors and Retires. They have about as much connection with reality as the Union Leader newspaper. They are the largest legislature and longest running jokes in politics.
I have met several NH reps and none of the ones I have met are realtors or retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,212,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
i have met several nh reps and none of the ones i have met are realtors or retirees.
+1

Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,120,155 times
I've met a few - Packy Campbell was a republican state rep. He owns RSA realty in Rochester and is a land developer in that area.

Or Hutchinson, a retired 2nd grade teacher from Derry, a ditzy blond that votes on lots of stuff she knows nothing about. When you talk to her for just a minute, that much is very apparent.

Or Elliot, you can catch her views on youtube - do we have any more mouthy bigots??? surely we do.

Being a state rep should require some kind of intelligence test, but it doesn't. Unfortunately, most state reps run unopposed and slide into position with an easy win.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 PM

6,548 posts, read 6,705,022 times
It's not perfect......the NH legislature, but it's better than most. Look at Massachusetts if you want to see venality. Or most any other state for that matter.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,474,114 times
At least we have an executive council. Something exclusive to this state and another chance to say no to spending.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,153,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The NH Legislature spent an entire day debating whether to change the time zone for New Hampshire. From Eastern Time Zone to Atlantic Time Zone.
Really? I'd heard of Maine debating this issue, but never NH. I doubt there would be much debate when every surrounding state is in the Eastern Time Zone.

The really remarkable thing about the state legislature is that it's the fourth-largest legislative body in the entire English speaking world (behind the UK Parliament, Indian Parliament, and US Congress). There's about one representative per 3,000 citizens, which is a better level of representation than you can find in any other state by far. Whether the representatives truly speak for the interests of their constituents is another issue, but that issue exists everywhere.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:27 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,474,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Whether the representatives truly speak for the interests of their constituents is another issue, but that issue exists everywhere.

Thats were our part as citizens comes in. The average voter has never contacted their rep , or any rep for that matter.
When leg comes up that is important to you , it is your right and responsability to contact them,.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 PM

6,548 posts, read 6,705,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Really? I'd heard of Maine debating this issue, but never NH. I doubt there would be much debate when every surrounding state is in the Eastern Time Zone.

The really remarkable thing about the state legislature is that it's the fourth-largest legislative body in the entire English speaking world (behind the UK Parliament, Indian Parliament, and US Congress). There's about one representative per 3,000 citizens, which is a better level of representation than you can find in any other state by far. Whether the representatives truly speak for the interests of their constituents is another issue, but that issue exists everywhere.
The "unit" has a hair across his you-know-what for NH. Every post of his is turning into a RANT about how unfit NH is in every way. It's getting old.....

For example: I post a lot in the Massachusetts forum & I have all kinds of issues with the politics of MA & how it's run, but I don't make every post over there about what a rotten state it is. It has its good & bad. I think it's bad form to do nothing but make EVERY single post about RUSH this, or NH is bad because. It's not productive. Every information post he starts to answer ends with political nonsense that has nothing to do with the questions asked. Get a grip dude.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 12-06-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire