Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 PM

35 posts, read 87,482 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Family and I are looking to move to the northeast for a better quality of life. We really like what we see with NH and were wondering what cities you might recommend for people in the medical/IT fields.

Portsmouth looks really nice, but is there work there?

What about Manchester or Concord and why...

Thanks in advance for all your help. We are looking to move in the spring/summer next year. We are also considering Portland, Maine. Any reason why we would choose NH over ME? Pros/cons?

Last edited by co95; 12-04-2011 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,364,008 times
Medical? Have a look at the Hanover area, it's near Dartmouth Hitchcock. Also there are some spin off companies in the region that might need IT people.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,002,490 times
Medical/IT...I'd look near Nashua, Manchester, and Lebanon. Lebanon has the huge facility mentioned above. Manchester and Nashua both have numerous medical facilities since they are the largest cities in the state. What is your budget? What are your hobbies?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,908,474 times
Lebanon, NH and Hanover, NH have the Dartmouth Hitchcock medical facility somewhat related to Dartmouth College. In the news lately though were layoffs from the hospital.

IT jobs are few and far between in New Hampshire. With Boston/Waltham/128 area more likely. Which means southern New Hampshire.

You both had best have skill sets that are in demand to even think about moving to New Hampshire. New Hampshire does have lower unemployment numbers but those numbers are skewed with mostly low paying jobs. Other then those who are employed in Massachusetts. And Massachusetts has an income tax.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,470,801 times
AQctualy its the I-495 belt in Mass that is pretty much the silicon vally of the east coast. Hollis , Nashua , Hudson. Amhesrst are all doable drives to that area.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the info, guys!

We like to do alot of things. We enjoy hiking, fishing, hunting, and snow. We are more city-oriented people, but enjoy having the outdoors on demand.

I have lived in coastal cities before, but never in New England.

What are some of the differences between the larger cities in NH as far as the general attitudes, major job focus, stuff like that? What about the general political leanings of these cities?

We would rather work and live in the same state. Neither of us likes commuting as we have both done way too much of that in the recent past and would like to avoid it. One of the reasons we are looking to move to the NE is because everything is much closer together. My last job was a 20 mile commute that took about an hour in traffic. I'm hoping to avoid that even if it means making a little less.

I'm open to the possibility of re-inventing myself in terms of careers. My experience is largely only IT. What other careers in NH are available to someone who does not wish to retrain in another degree. I simply cannot afford to go back to college at today's ridiculous prices.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,470,801 times
Politicly NH is probably the puplest state in the nation with a plentiful helping of libertarism thrown in . Cites lean a little left . Cheshire county tends to lean left. Fyrther north ya get further right it gets.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,145,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Fyrther north ya get further right it gets.
Well, not exactly. A lot of the rural towns in Coos County and the interior of Grafton County do lean Republican, but they are balanced out by places like Berlin, the Upper Valley, and most of the towns in the White Mountains, which lean Democratic.

By contrast, some of the most heavily Republican towns in the state are the large suburban towns in southern NH near the MA border. If anything, the political division is more east-west than north-south. Here's a fantastic map showing the Partisan Voting Index for NH towns, averaged for the 2004 and 2008 presidential elections: http://maperitif.files.wordpress.com...i-2008-map.pdf

You'll see a little bit more dark blue than dark red on those maps simply due to the general political atmosphere of the past two elections, but it's true that NH is very "purple." Much more so than a lot of states, which are either politically homogeneous or have really dramatic contrasts between urban/rural, etc.

Among NH's three largest cities: Manchester is in the middle of the spectrum, Nashua leans slightly Democratic, and Concord is pretty solidly Democratic. However, the suburbs of Manchester are some of the most Republican towns in the state. Most of the Nashua suburbs also lean Republican, while the Concord suburbs are more evenly divided.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Cool info, guys. Thanks...

We are really torn on where to live. We know we want to live in either New Hampshire, Maine, or Vermont. We are looking for what most people are looking for: easily affordable rent, available work, and a beautiful landscape with plenty of fishing and hunting opportunities. I like some aspects of all three states, so it's difficult to pick.

We are city-oriented (smaller cities) but like access to the country for outdoor stuff. We get along with anyone politically. Is politics a devisive thing in NH more than most places or do people pretty much keep it to themselves. What about Vermont or Maine?

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,145,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by co95 View Post
Cool info, guys. Thanks...

We are really torn on where to live. We know we want to live in either New Hampshire, Maine, or Vermont. We are looking for what most people are looking for: easily affordable rent, available work, and a beautiful landscape with plenty of fishing and hunting opportunities. I like some aspects of all three states, so it's difficult to pick.

We are city-oriented (smaller cities) but like access to the country for outdoor stuff. We get along with anyone politically. Is politics a devisive thing in NH more than most places or do people pretty much keep it to themselves. What about Vermont or Maine?

Thanks.
I think you will find that in New England (particularly northern New England), politics is something that people usually keep to themselves. People here are known for being more private and reserved than in other parts of the country. Anonymous Internet forums are one thing, but I've never seen strangers (or even friends, now that I think about it) get into a real argument about politics.

The only annoying thing is that we get absolutely bombarded with political ads during election seasons (NH being a key primary and swing state). I can't stand the ads (which are usually "factually challenged"), so I try to avoid watching the local TV channels altogether.

Right now, southern NH has the most work, although a large chunk of the population commutes to jobs in Massachusetts. Of the three states, I think NH is the "safest" bet in the current economy. Unfortunately, southern NH also has the most expensive housing prices, and some towns have very high property tax rates (as there is no state income or sales tax). For the average person, however, your overall tax burden is going to be lower in NH than in ME and especially VT.

Vermont is an overwhelmingly rural state, so high-paying jobs are difficult to find. It sounds like Burlington would be a great fit for you (and this is where most of the jobs are), but it might not be affordable, depending on your salary. Maine is generally more affordable than VT and NH, but it also suffers from being primarily rural and isolated. Most of the work is in the Portland area, which again sounds like it would be a great fit, if you can find a job there and feel comfortable with the job security.

In terms of having access to natural amenities, none of the cities in northern New England will disappoint. I do think that Burlington and Portland are in some ways more "vibrant" and "fun" than the largest cities in NH, although Portsmouth is similar on a slightly smaller scale.

If you can get a good job that pays well according to the CoL in that city, then go for it. I don't think it should matter much which part of northern New England you're in, although southern NH offers the best chances of finding work if things fall through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire