U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM

46 posts, read 26,009 times
Default moving to new hampshire. recommendations on towns please

I live in north carolina currently for military but my husband and I would love to move to new hampshire next year since I fell in love with the state during our vacation. I'm not too familiar with the towns so I need some advice. My husband is security forces and he would like to persue a career as a cop or border patrol..and I am going to school to be a registered nurse so I would need to be fairly close to a hospital for employment (preferably a cancer hospital). We like the country setting but would like to be within reasonable distance to a city. I have heard of the "north country" towns in new hampshire but I'm not sure what exact towns are in there? Can a resident please give me a listing of some towns within the north country that's comfortable for middle class living and would accomidate our employment? I would also like to see some coastal towns as well.. thank you for all the help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,794,721 times
hmmm... well, for border patrol you'd have to be up near Canada I should think (unless we can institute a Border control to keep the Ma$$holes out?? ) no idea what the hospital situation is up there. I hope you've lived in colder climes that NC, since that could be a serious climate shock.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 AM

835 posts, read 747,394 times
Pease AFB is over in Portsmouth for military purposes.

I would think law enforcement job would be easier to find in the bigger towns like Nashua, Manchester, Salem. Nashua seems to have recruiting drives every other year or so...at least that I've noticed. There are also guarded work places around like the FAA and BAE that he could work at as a guard...no idea how they pay.

Hospitals: Dartmouth, Nashua, Manchester, Concord all have big hospitals. There is a cancer center in Nashua and one in Dartmouth that I know of.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM

92 posts, read 68,980 times
As far as border patrol, you would most likely need to live north of the White Mountains, in the northern section of the state - which has absolutely nothing. There are several openings for police officers in cities and small towns in the Concord/Manchester/Nashua area that I see posted online from time to time, shouldn't be too hard to get.

It's funny, I was actually looking at moving from NH down to NC in the near future.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 AM

46 posts, read 26,009 times
Thanks for all the help! My husbands grandparents have a house on Lake winnipesaukee and we absolutely loved it. we also liked maine too. I have lived in a much colder climate than in nc, being as we both are from nothern new jersey originally. No snow down here in the carolinas

Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM

701 posts, read 779,839 times
The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery ME might be a decent place for Security-type jobs. It's probably a contractor providing the services like almost everything else in the DoD these days.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 PM

1,209 posts, read 740,413 times
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute also has a satellite location in Londonderry: Dana-FarberNew Hampshire Oncology-Hematology - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

Old 01-17-2012, 03:49 PM

968 posts, read 1,111,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcwifex View Post
Thanks for all the help! My husbands grandparents have a house on Lake winnipesaukee and we absolutely loved it. we also liked maine too. I have lived in a much colder climate than in nc, being as we both are from nothern new jersey originally. No snow down here in the carolinas

All of NH is not like Lake Winnespaukee.

As far as police goes as stated above the cities may be easier to obtain employment. There is also the state police. Get the application in if they accept such at this time. Very few border patrol jobs if any. One can obtain a job at the state prisions but those are low paying with lousy hours.

There is TSA at the Manchester airport. One could try that.

Has he ever thought of taking one of those private contractor security jobs in Afghanistan? Good experience in security and high paying.

Semper Fidelis.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 PM

124 posts, read 133,568 times
Coast Guard?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 AM

64 posts, read 62,883 times
In the North Woods/White Mountains region, the hospital situation is not very good. Colebrook has a "band-aid" station. No ICU, will not even support BiPap, and they ship just about everything out of their ER to other hospitals. We have my hospital in Lancaster, the one in Berlin, and the one in St. Johnsbury, VT. I am not sure about the other two hospitals, but Weeks Medical Center here has an outpatient oncology unit through Dartmouth (DHMC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire