Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times

Advertisements

Many home inspectors charge extra for radon tests as they have to obtain the proper container/tester and then take it to a lab.

If radon is your concern just don't purchase any home with radon. There are plenty of homes for sale everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,011 times
We just bought a house in Bow this past summer, It had extremely high levels of radon in the well water and borderline passing levels of radon in the basement air. The seller gave us money towards the water issues (which were not limited to radon) The bubble up system we had to have installed was 4k$ alone

($9K for all the water systems we had to have installed) but the seller did give us money at closing for these repairs and our water is now cleaner then Poland springs. I wouldnt, not buy the house of your dreams because of radon, but i would make sure you have the proper systems installed if your worried about it. Our home inspector (Private message me if you want his info) tested the air for radon (35$-ish) and did a complete well water test (150$ ish (if i remember correctly)) in our situation this was money well spent.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Many home inspectors charge extra for radon tests as they have to obtain the proper container/tester and then take it to a lab.

If radon is your concern just don't purchase any home with radon. There are plenty of homes for sale everywhere.
If the tester used the wrong container would it contaminate the results and show very high levels ? How long does the water have to run before taking a sample ?
Very good info.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Personally I would be more concerned with water leaking into my basement than Radon. Water can lead to molds and mildew that can damage anything stored in the basement where as Radon, unless it is at a uranium mine level, is not a problem because the time of exposure is limited unless you live down there.

I believe the Radon scare is an offshoot of the anti nuclear power plant frenzy created by the fossil fuel industry thirty years ago to protect their sales.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Personally I would be more concerned with water leaking into my basement than Radon. Water can lead to molds and mildew that can damage anything stored in the basement where as Radon, unless it is at a uranium mine level, is not a problem because the time of exposure is limited unless you live down there.

I believe the Radon scare is an offshoot of the anti nuclear power plant frenzy created by the fossil fuel industry thirty years ago to protect their sales.
I agree

Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
I agree
GregW and Sgthoskins agreeing. That's something you don't see very often!

Radon test kits are cheap and easy to do. Cheap piece of mind.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
If the tester used the wrong container would it contaminate the results and show very high levels ? How long does the water have to run before taking a sample ?
Very good info.

The water test is a different test.

The standard radon test is a sealed container from a lab and placed in basement. Checking for radon gas. The lab would know quite early if the seal had been tampered with. And any home inspector can provide a list of labs and you can choose which lab you want if that concerns you.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:22 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,112 times
Quote:

Im with ya. Mitigation systems were kinda the y2k of their time. Just as toxic mold is the scary money maker nowadays.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The water test is a different test.

The standard radon test is a sealed container from a lab and placed in basement. Checking for radon gas. The lab would know quite early if the seal had been tampered with. And any home inspector can provide a list of labs and you can choose which lab you want if that concerns you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, nothing stops the homeowner from placing the sample vial outside for most of the average 3-day test.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that thinking about radon.
Radon is a simple alpha-emitting gas. It can't even penetrate your skin. Of course, in your lungs, that is a different story.
A house is an excellent chimney, given that it tends to be warmer than the ground under your basement floor slab, and that chimney effect tends to draw up underground gases into your house. It is not necessarily just in your basement. Through ground cracks, it can seep out. You could have no radon in your house, and your neighbor's house could be off the charts.
You don't need to be anywhere near a uranium mine.... Granite (and we are in the granite state) is one of the mediums for small amounts of uranium.
One of the best articles I saw was that a plant worker at Seabrook NH power plant set off the radiation detectors as he walked into the power plant. The radon levels in his basement were something like 22K pCU/L (don't remember exactly).

But I like your thinking about radon, and I also recommend to take up smoking, as there is an excellent compound effect. This thought process will help us save the Social Security programs, and will drum up business for the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire