Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times

Advertisements

I feel like I have had a change of latitude without having to move. I like it.

I have this feeling that next year by the snow in my back yard will be higher than the deck railing and the glacier between my front door and the pond will be there from late November to mid April. Like last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,937,963 times
Hopefully anyone who pre-paid for snow removal will have signed a contract that specifies when the removal will be done. Some drivers just ask for a seasonal total, others charge by how many times during the storm they come out to push back, others charge by the inch. For anyone that pre-paid for the season, I would definitely talk to the owner and see if you can get any sort of refund--they may work with you in hopes of retaining your business in future years. In any case, it's worth a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
actually, that makes me curious: what happens if you've paid up front for a service/plow guy for the winter and then you only get 1 snow (or none)? do they roll it over to the next winter, refund, or are you out the money and they've done well for not having to do the plowing?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,026,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Sugaring season looks like a complete bust
we stopped at Parkers Barn last Sat to do some gift shopping for the inlaws, and I got chatting with the woman there. Apparently they're going to start boiling probably this week or next. She said if you started tapping about 3 weeks ago, it was great! if you start now, not so much.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,522,354 times
Quote:
we stopped at Parkers Barn last Sat to do some gift shopping for the inlaws, and I got chatting with the woman there. Apparently they're going to start boiling probably this week or next. She said if you started tapping about 3 weeks ago, it was great! if you start now, not so much.
It really is unprecedented that they are tapping this early, period. Well, I was told that last years sugaring season was the best in 30-40 years. It will go down as one of the warmest NH winters since records have been kept. It will be interesting to see what happens with the weather pattern as we approach Spring and Summer.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM

491 posts, read 1,371,775 times
I've got about 5 gallons of sap so far from 4 taps. I tapped my trees a week ago. I wish I started sooner.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,063,121 times
A lot of folks & businesses I know are really suffering financially this winter. A power equipment dealership, a plow/roof clearing guy, ski instructor, and snow-mobile rental place are all doing poorly. There is snow up north- but not as many folks are heading up. This is not good from a NE economic standpoint as nice as some of may think the warm weather may be.

We should also expect a surge of invasive plants, diseases, and insects this spring/summer/fall- not good for the Hemlocks and the like.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,409,308 times
Quote:
actually, that makes me curious: what happens if you've paid up front for a service/plow guy for the winter and then you only get 1 snow (or none)? do they roll it over to the next winter, refund, or are you out the money and they've done well for not having to do the plowing?

I been pushing snow all my life & never heard of charging a seasonal rate. I and everyone I'v ever talked to charge per clearing with an increase beyond a certain depth. Winters simply fluctuate too much to do it that way, people might have made out that way this year, but last year would have killed them.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,658,839 times
Quote:
never heard of charging a seasonal rate.
It's common for large commercial accounts but rare for residential.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:02 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,598,591 times
Quote:
It really is unprecedented that they are tapping this early, period. Well, I was told that last years sugaring season was the best in 30-40 years. It will go down as one of the warmest NH winters since records have been kept. It will be interesting to see what happens with the weather pattern as we approach Spring and Summer.
Things are similar here in MI. I was driving by a sugarbush a week ago and they had the welcome sign out by the road. Sure enough, I went in and they were boiling off the sap. Not that I pay that close of attention every year, but I thought it was strange that it was happening so early. The good news is that it still tasted great.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,937,963 times
The good news is that southern NH, after a relatively snowless winter, is getting a 30-hour snowstorm, which should result in 9-14 inches of snow. Since I officially stop shoveling as of March 1 (figuring that the sun and radiant heating will do the job) I think I'm off the hook with this one.
Happy Leap Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire