Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
response by Firearms Academy Instructor when notified of this story:
Whats a firearms academy?
Quote:
Mistakes made by the home owner in my humble opinion were:

- "He took it upon himself to try and locate the suspect,"
-- Unless a person is a sworn officer of the law, citizens should never hunt down a suspect and especially confront them
Ahh obviously its a police academy, not in any way an authority on how a private citizen should act & having a vested interest in us not taking responsibility for ourselves will always say we should have called them first.
Quote:
- "When he came across the arrestee, he discharged his weapon and held the male at bay,"
-- He should never have discharged his weapon unless he was at that instant in time in fear for his life.
--- There was never mention that the suspect was armed, disparity of force or a threat that justified discharging of his firearm.
While I agree he should not have fired a warning shot, doing so caused no trouble & gained compliance from the bad guy. Despite hysteria induced stupidness it is not attempted murder to discharge a gun away from a person nor does it constitute the use of deadly force.

Quote:
Situations such as described in this article are reasons why armed citizens should be trained in the legal use of firearms for personal protection.
Nah, the events laid out in that article are a great example of how being proactive can help the authorities. He made IMO a single innocent mistake, discharging his gun. You should stop trying to justify berating the man. The charges have been dropped because they found he acted within his rights, period, end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I checked on this forum after I heard of this case. Guess I have another good reason to stay out of NH.
And..who said we wanted you anyway?

Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
To read some of these posts, it sounds like a couple of our regulars were actually there and present when all of this went down. I've been reading comments from many of Mr. Fleming's neighbors, and haven't found one who isn't completely thankful for confronting the thief and detaining him...

Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
To read some of these posts, it sounds like a couple of our regulars were actually there and present when all of this went down. I've been reading comments from many of Mr. Fleming's neighbors, and haven't found one who isn't completely thankful for confronting the thief and detaining him...

One would think eh?

Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
To read some of these posts, it sounds like a couple of our regulars were actually there and present when all of this went down.
I've been wondering if there were other news bits! I read the original story and it said that Mr Fleming shot into the ground, not somewhere off to the left where he could have hit someone. He did say he regretting firing the gun, I guess because a group of people had gathered to see what was going to happen and I guess someone might have gotten hurt? Also the story never said that he fired a pistol, so how did that get claimed? the story said some of his collection were antique firearms, not that all were.

So, either there were other news bits that us from afar haven't seen, or some of you were actually there? or, some of you are claiming things that weren't accurate. I have no idea which. Heck, one parcel of land we considered buying, I spoke with the neighbor who would be across the street about places to target shoot and he said, heck: he just shoots off his back porch!

I'm just glad that the charges against Mr Fleming were dropped.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
‘I approached him with a gun, told him to stop, fired a warning shot,’ he said, adding that it was to the left of him and into the woods.

as reported to WMUR-TV and carried on various networks. Grandfather facing jail for firing shot into the GROUND to stop a robber « Investment Watch Blog – 2012

He fired a .38 caliber handgun - this translates to "pistol". “I hadn't fired it in 20 years. It was all greasy and dusty up on the shelf,” Fleming said Man said he fired to stop burglar, now faces felony charges | New Hampshire NEWS03

Yes - Mr. Hebert is a thief and got caught. Yay! He had a vicadin pill in his pocket so was charged with possession of a controlled drug in addition to B&E. That charge was dropped as he had a prescription.

The police were enroute before Fleming fired his shot. I respect Mr. Fleming, but running around outside for a 1/2 hour with a loaded gun because "he was pissed" wasn't smart. Rummaging through the backpack wasn't bright either. That's called "tampering with the evidence" and those charges may also be dropped.

Even the police are not "allowed" to shoot warning shots.

I am also glad the charges against Mr. Fleming were dropped. He was on an adrenaline rush and not thinking clearly. He's learned his lesson the hard way.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
you are totally wrong - the thief never approached Mr. Fleming. Mr. Fleming heard him jumping out of the 2nd floor window of a nearby house. The kid broke his foot when he landed.

I have no problem with anyone defending their home and their safety. Mr. Fleming was doing neither. He was not defending his home. He was not in any danger.

Mr. Fleming, OTOH, was very scary running around waving a loaded pistol for a 1/2 hour before he noticed the guy jumping out the window. Secondly, he DID NOT fire his weapon into the ground. He fired it to the left of the burglar and into the woods where it ended up in the ground. It's not like he pointed at the ground and fired a warning shot.

Thankfully all ended well and Mr. Fleming should get his guns back soon.

unlike you - I do not know any convicted felons.
Don't worry, you call the PoPo when bad people are doing bad things. When the police finally arrive you'll tell them what was taken, your neighbor can do the same and the bad guy will continue to steal from others in the future.

If I had watched someone jump out of my neighbors 2nd story window with a back pack after my house was hit again you can bet your a.. I would have reacted the same way sans the warning shot.

"Scary guy with a gun" are you even serious?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
thank you, Buck, I figured there must have been other reports because so much description was not in that original link.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Buck Naked said "Even the police are not "allowed" to shoot warning shots"
Not quite true. Police are NOT REQUIRED to fire a warning shot. There is not always time to fire a warning shot in SOME situations.
GL2

Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am please to read that charges were dropped against Mr. Fleming. IMHO he was doing his duty as a citizen to stop and hold the burglar until the police arrived. I am appalled that they did not simply say thank you and haul the burglar away. It is the duty of all of us to protect each other and our property. That is far more effective a deterrent than hiring more police to figure out what happened.

I suggest the town provide the citizens with a low cost gun training session for anyone interested. This should not be mandatory as many of us already know how to use firearms safely but recommended when a citizen applies for a concealed carry permit. When a major fraction of law abiding society is armed the entire society is far safer.

There is, or at least should be, a difference in a criminal’s mind between getting caught for committing a burglary and getting shot for frightening an armed homeowner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire