Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:47 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,793 times

Advertisements

looking to install a home security system. can anyone recommend a company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,459 times
Admittedly, I didn't look into any companies because I've heard of so many scams (namely ADT). I did mine myself and was surprised how easy it was. I started researching DIY home security after the home invasion in Mt Vernon.

I decided I wanted an alarm to alert me if an intruder entered my yard and approached my house (mostly at night). This would give me enough time to react BEFORE they entered the house or even attempted to enter. Most conventional security systems trigger an alarm upon entry through a window/door or sense motion AFTER an intruder is already inside. To me, that's too late. Especially at 3am waking from a dead sleep.

Switches on windows won't work for me because we open our windows at night in the summer. Sometimes I'll open/close them in the middle of the night. If I have to disarm the system at night to open windows, the system is useless. Same goes for indoor motion sensors. Sometimes my kids get up and wander downstairs or we'll get up for something. Too many false alarms will cause you to never arm the system.

I needed outdoor motion detectors. They would detect someone and trigger the alarm as they approach the house. I wouldn't have false alarms no matter what happens inside. I went to homesecuritystore.com and browsed around. Visonic makes a very good outdoor WIRELESS motion detector to go with their alarm systems. I was skeptical about the wireless technology because every wireless device I have eats batteries. I haven't replaced a battery yet. There are many accessories including flood sensors and cameras.

The system I got has a GSM module (an internal cell phone that dials out even if the land-line phone is cut). I can check status and arm/disarm via the internet and SMS text. I self monitor. That means I don't pay a company to monitor the system and call police when the alarm goes off. I'm less concerned about unoccupied burglary then home invasion. When the system triggers: the built-in siren alarm goes off (yeah, its LOUD enough), a strobe light visible from the street flashes, text messages get sent to multiple phone numbers, voice mails get sent to multiple numbers. If it goes off when the house is unoccupied, I'll log in and check the cameras to try to see why it got triggered and then decide whether to call police (or a neighbor) to check it out.

One nice feature we use is voice chimes. Even with the system disarmed, if a sensor is tripped, the unit's speaker tells us. For example "front door opened", "front yard", etc. So when a visitor comes, we first hear "front yard" before they even get to the doorbell. More importantly, if a kid decides to go outside on their own, we hear "garage door" before they make their escape.

If you can hang a picture, you can install a wireless system yourself. PM me if you want more info.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
I'd be afraid deer and other critters would set it off, at least in the rural area I'll be living in.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:02 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Deer & bear will trigger outdoor motion sensors. That said you can usually configure certain sensors to only sound a chime (rather than trip the entire system) and position the sensors so they aren't covering places animals usually are- but where a person would be to get into the house.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 AM

I have not had a single false alarm due to an animal passing through the yard. Deer and bear sightings are very rare in my neighborhood. Presidential visits are more common than big game. Also helps to carefully position the sensors as you mentioned.

The sensors I have don't trigger unless the animal is over 40lbs so cats and squirrels aren't a problem.

Self monitoring is a good idea too since you don't want the police showing up at your house every time Bambi walks through your yard.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 AM

95 posts, read 290,059 times
Avlis thank you very good information as I'm thinking about this also

Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Admittedly, I didn't look into any companies because I've heard of so many scams (namely ADT).
What is the scam that ADT has?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 AM

I honestly don't remember, but if you do a search for "ADT scam", like I just did, you'll get some reading material. I just remember hearing bad stuff over the years and never looked into them. I'm a hardcore DIYer so I really didn't research providers. I just starting looking for something I could install myself and already had an idea of what I needed to accomplish the goal of alerting me of a property intruder in the middle of the night.

I have seen ADT mail ads where they offer security systems for cheap. But they only include some basic indoor sensors and make their money on subscriptions for monitoring. I believe a basic indoor system like that will either false alarm so much that the user never arms it, or nothing will ever trigger it because there are so few sensors. Then the user is paying $xx.xx/mo and the company has to do nothing.

BTW: The Cates family had a security system when the tragedy happened. It wasn't armed. Possibly due to a malfunction that went unfixed.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 PM

We had ADT give us a quote years ago and the guy was such a jerk.

Thanks for all the info...hubby wants to try and do it himself so I'll be referring him to this page to read and ask questions.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM

avlis - dh purchased items from the site you recommended and is installing it right now. that's so much for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire