U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 22,741 times

Advertisements

Hello Pixieshmoo,

You seem to be looking for opinions of the NH seacoast area w/respect to general quality of life for your children and for yourselves. I'm a 26 year-old who grew up in Rye, NH, and I now live in Boulder, CO.

Any way you slice it, Rye is a fantastic place to live! There is so much to do between the beaches, rocky coastal areas of NH and ME (ME is such a short drive, just over the bridge!), and the mountains. My family consists of avid boaters, skiiers, hikers, etc, and New Hampshire is literally a big playground. I'm not sure I ever realized how lucky I was that my parents raised me there until I moved to other parts of the country. I love Colorado for all it's beauty, etc, but I miss the charms and nuances of more quaint towns like those found in coastal New England.

The school systems in Rye are also REALLY good. The one thing I would point out though is that many families in Rye are quite wealthy, and the students in my class could be quite snooty at times. My family was never quite as well off as many of my classmates', and I remember at times being picked on for things like not shopping at the Gap. Other than that minor point though, the education is really good for lower and middle schools. As for high school, Rye students attend Portsmouth HS, which I understand is also a great place to go. I commuted to a private HS in Berwick, ME, so I may not be the best opinion on that one.

I'd definately highly recommend Rye or Portsmouth. My parents still never lock their doors, and I never feel safer than when I'm in NH. Trust me, your kids will love it! For those of us lucky enough to have our parents raise us in the area, all we can say is thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 06:39 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,779,317 times
Default To Kljackso

Thank you very much for your response (it was actually very moving ) Yes, Rye is definitely one of the places we've been considering and although things were temporarily put on hold, I had begun to research that town as well. In fact, it is one of the towns that I have in my narrowed-down list and is a "finalist". Thx again!

Old 08-24-2006, 02:17 PM

104 posts, read 416,857 times
Reading this thread has been very informative, as we are moving to the Seacoast area from the Monadnock area soon due to job commute. I've been wondering if I will like it and hope I do. We can't afford to be less than 1/2 hour of Portsmouth area because of high home prices, so had to settle for Milton. I wonder if anyone knows about this town... Pixieshmoo you must be doing pretty well to be able to consider Rye! The NH beaches are nice, but I think as beaches go, you'll prefer the Maine coast. NH coastline is very limited compared to Maine, and very built up. Of course all the NE coast is built up unless you go way north. But Maine does have nicer beaches. The water temp between southern ME and NH is about the same. For living in though, we considered Maine but had to go with NH! We love the political climate and the laws here and just can't change to a new state. After what I've read, I'm glad we decided to stay in NH!

Old 08-25-2006, 08:45 AM

639 posts, read 3,186,501 times
Smile Life on Seacoast

Kljackso described living on the seacoast to a "T". That's exactly how it is living here. My nieces grew up going to private schools on the seacoast as well. One of the only reasons why they went to private schools here is because my sister remembers quite well the regional high school in Hampton from when she went there back in the late 70's when our parents first moved here and she didn't like it one bit. BUT things change and the school recently built an addition and from what I understand it's quite nice now. More room to breath and learn for the kids. The quality of life living in the Portsmouth area (seacoast living as most of us call it around here) is very very good for kids. I see a big difference in the way my nieces were raised and the way we grew up in the city of Boston WAY back when. I can relate to Kljackso's story about the snobs in school, trust me, I've heard plenty of stories from my younger sisters about it. There's a lot of different income levels all under one roof and it's a learning experience for some of the kids. I remember my younger sister came home quite a lot from school and she'd say to my mother now why can't we have an indoor pool? Why can't we fly down to the islands for a few weeks in OUR private plane? On and on with these type of questions. My mother went crazy trying to get it through her head that we were raised in a different income level that's WHY. She'd always have to try to stress it to her as calmly as she could! I don't think it was easy dealing with that stuff for my mother, although years later she said at least it wasn't because of or over alcohol or drugs, which was true it wasn't! They since grew up and have kids of their own and you know what? My nieces now are older and they all grew up with many types of friends from many different income levels and it's working out fine. Many of them are going to different colleges, all around New England and the country and they still keep in touch, they're a very close knit group of kids and it's so nice to see. We watched all of them since they were in kindergarden grow up and their lives on the seacoast paid off, let me tell you with every one of them, they're great kids. It's basically life in a nutshell for all of them these days around here! You're going to love living on the seacoast in one of the many towns surrounding Portsmouth as well, yes it's expensive and yes the property taxes are high as every one is aware of around here, but you know? The quality of life surpasses these issues like you wouldn't believe and every one's lives around here are quite content with seacoast living and that's the most important issue of all. One thing that you're going to find when you move here, it might take you a good year, may be two years, but you definitely will experience it, you realize that the stress all over your face is gone! I'm not kidding you, it's this lifestyle around here, you will be amazed and when you're stuck in a little traffic up around Portsmouth or on I-95? You learn the short cuts, no big deal, you will too! No stress around here! I never thought I'd say this about living here, but there's a lot to do around here year round too! It's convenient to get right down to the North End of Boston for dinner to meet old friends, or go to dinner in Portsmouth or Ronaldo's in No. Hampton which is one of our favorite Italian restaurants! It's convenient to hop on a plane right out of Manchester airport to SC, or hop on the bus to get to Logan for a pond jump over to Ireland (a few months ago in no time!) All of us that live here manage to get together with our neighbors and our friends around the seacoast and usually it's up in Portsmouth at one of their many bistros, cafes, bars or restaurants! The beaches are lined up along the NH coast if you feel like baking in the sun all summer long. If you want to take a nice power walk? Plenty of sidewalks to take those brisk walks along the seacoast. If you want to explore the cool boutiques in Portsmouth for an afternoon? There's plenty of parking spots in town to choose from. One municipal parking garage is only 50 cents an hour to park your car. It's safe, convenient and all of us use it whenever we want to shop or go to lunch with friends. There's a good list of real estate agents on the whole seacoast or up in Portsmouth or else there's plenty of surrounding towns around the seacoast region to choose from. Good luck in your search for just the right town around here and you know? I'll bet you end up narrowing it down good right on NH's seacoast when you visit in a few weeks!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 08-25-2006 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: grammar issues!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 22,741 times
mmmm....I love Ronaldo's too (see CityGilr52's post) and ask her to recommend more restaurants if you're going to the seacoast to visit. The girl *obviously* has good taste!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 AM

409 posts, read 1,561,603 times
I am so glad I found this forum. You all contribute a big part to our research. Thanks. I went to the Maine forum for relocation advice and no one responded to my post. Not one person. That helped me make my decision for NH over Maine just because people on this forum were more helpful...which is also very welcoming.

Last edited by sevdie; 08-31-2006 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 AM

15,051 posts, read 19,688,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
I went to the Maine forum for relocation advice and no one responded to my post. Not one person.
The Maine forum here on city data or another Maine forum?

Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 AM

The one here on the city data forum It is titled "relocation advice"

Old 08-31-2006, 12:02 PM

15,051 posts, read 19,688,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
The one here on the city data forum It is titled "relocation advice"
I saw that. I have no idea why your query went unanswered.

I posted some questions on the Maine forum and received some very good answers, but I asked some questions about specific areas. I'm wondering if your query was too broad? I don't know. I don't want to change your mind if your heart is set on NH.

You said you'd run into bigotry in the Midwest. Really? Whereabouts if you don't mind my asking? We recently did some travelling throughout Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the U.P. of Michigan and found people very friendly and accepting. There was really only one town that I thought was a bit scary. We stopped there for food and I felt like I'd walked into Night of the Living Rednecks. Rude people, crazy drivers, obnoxious teens causing trouble in the streets. (That was Detroit Lakes, MN by the way.)

Anyway, best of luck on your move! Keep us posted on how you like your new locale.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:10 PM

That's a good suggestion and I would post about some specific towns in ME, but I have no idea which towns to ask about. I know absolutely nothing about any place in Maine. But you may have a point. That may be why no one responded.
I am glad to hear that you had a good experience traveling through the midwest though, I am sure the entire midwest is not the same. I lived in the lower penn. of michigan for a while. I live in Kansas right now and I haven't heard the "N" word used so may times in my life. A lot of skinheads live in my town too.
I will keep you posted and let you know where I end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire