Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:32 AM

19 posts, read 66,764 times

Advertisements

Sevdie, I was concerned this summer when my lil' one broke out in hives this summer, but it was allergic reaction to rasberries. The doctor said no lyme disease up this far in NH because of the cold weather. Call the hospital, our doctor is at Littleton Regional. They will set you at ease. It is found everwhere in say, MA and RI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 07:34 AM

409 posts, read 1,748,485 times
What a great idea. i think I will call the hospital on Monday. That does make me feel much better. Thanks. I am glad to osee we relocators are getting more info on NH now.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:32 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Sevdie,

When we lived in the Mid-Hudson Valley region of NY, the area was rife with Lyme disease and deer ticks. The best prevention for Lyme disease or any other disease, for that matter is to educate yourself about the disease so you know ways to prevent them, the signs, symptoms and treatments for them. In the case of Lyme disease, it will not always show up with the bull's eye rash that a lot of doctors, even now, swear has to be there . Long sleeves, long pants, light colored clothing (so you can see the little suckers) and a thorough inspection of your body after being out in the woods, tall grassy areas, etc. will help to see any ticks before they have been there long enough to cause Lyme disease. Lyme disease often presents with flu-like symptoms and if you experience that type of thing (especially when it's not flu season), it's reason to go to the doctor, have a Lyme titer and a Western blot test for it - a lot of doctors will start the treatment based on symptoms and if the tests are negative, will then stop the antibiotics when the results are in. Here's a website for the American Lyme Disease Foundation, which will help answer some of your questions and hopefully allay some of your concerns . (and hopefully the link won't get pulled by the moderator! <g>)

http://www.aldf.com/index.shtml

Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,014 times
I am from Maine and just happened to come accross this thread- I am offended by the responces... haha. I think New Hampshire and Maine are basically the same, Maine is even more rural than new hampshire but they are pretty comparable. Maine has much more ties to the ocean than NH. i think you should just visit both and decide for yourself which you like more.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:15 PM

11 posts, read 79,652 times
Default NH/Maine Jobs

Okay, I have lived in both states and love both (although I prefer VT) in reply to the post where it was said getting jobs in NH in six weeks was not a problem, he was a programmer and she was an admin.

Practically speaking, this won't happen to you because admin assistants make $10-12/hr in NH and Maine, and if you are a programmer than you would pick another city, or there would be another reason for coming to Northern New England, such as the weather and beautiful scenery. The people are incredibly friendly but don't be lulled into a false sense of security, there are NO jobs, you have to make your own work because each job has about 50 applicants that pays over $10/hr, most of your neighbours are pumping gas, driving trucks, or self employed, unless they are retired, or moved from NJ/NYC for a second home. You must choose which you are, second home buyer, truck driver/self employed, or retiree. There is no diversity in jobs.

Less people with good jobs, mean a lower standard of living. Nobody wants employers to raise wages because there are so many small employers who can't afford it, and they are afraid taxes and inflatation will go up. So wages will always be small in these states.

For anyone to say don't worry about getting a job, that's very foolish, get a job before you move and if you can't find a guaranteed offer in writing, don't move.

Also I do not see many single women posting?
So they must be relying on their husband's income.
You forget there are no second jobs and very few admin jobs (I met a woman who went to an admin job with the city in Portland Maine and the pay was $14/hour and there were 32 young interviewees), it will be his income alone.
No jobs for the kids either as paper routes are being filled by 50 year olds.
No landscaping or grass cutting, or babysitting or day care jobs. Absolutely nothing except drug dealing which seems to be the new teenage job of choice in places such as Portsmouth and Portland Maine. There are kids standing all over the place at night selling drugs and Portland has a dangerous reputation now. What makes me sad are all the kids with nothing to do, what were their parents thinking when they dragged them up there? Young children will tell you they have absolutely nothing to do, many schools aren't so hot and realtors will never tell you that.

Also the "arts scene" consists of a few overpriced art galleries and not very good pubs/breweries. The main activity is drinking a lot of beer and wine and developing a drinking problem unless of course you have a boat. Then there is drinking on the boat. If all this sounds like a retiree lifestyle, well it is! Even your friends and neighbours will tell you they want to spend most of their time in Boston/NYC and spend time at home relaxing with family. How do you propose to live, what is your lifestyle? These are the questions to ask yourself. Do own or expect to own a boat?

I don't know how many people I met who lost their jobs and had to sell their homes and move out.

Just a realistic tip.

Italylover

Old 09-25-2006, 01:13 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,216 times
Default Wow!

Wow, that was harsh!! Is there any hope left for those of us that want to move to New England??

DH and I adore nature, and we really hate the Long Island lifestyle.

NYSinger

Old 09-25-2006, 02:42 PM

55 posts, read 286,034 times
Default I second that wow!

Hi, I'm also holding out hope for New England!

NYSinger, I've sent you a private message, so be sure to check your inbox.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:07 PM

409 posts, read 1,748,485 times
Italylover,

I apprecate your candid and realistic response and I rated your post positively for that very reason. I suspected that my husband and I would have to have our business up and running before we could settle up there. I know of several people on this very forum who have emailed me telling me that they are having a very hard time finding a job. Thanks again for your post.

Last edited by sevdie; 09-25-2006 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: I believe you, Italylover

Old 11-20-2006, 06:37 PM

48 posts, read 111,393 times
i too came from n.j. to maine (summered here since infancy) and it's deffinitely cheaper than n.j.!!! i lived in biddeford for a while (not recomended, lots of juvenile crime), also lived in so. portland-very nice sections near the cape elizabeth area, good schools easy commute to 95, lived in gorham and by far that was the nicest with the better schools. close enough to so. portland and shopping, university has a small campus in the town, about 45 min to 1 hr from the n.h. border (lakes region).

Old 11-21-2006, 07:24 AM

4 posts, read 18,754 times
We hope to find a nice area, nice property, nice people (they are everywhere in NH) and a place that is NOT LIBERAL !!!!

Suggestions are most welcome. Hoping for Western NH. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire