U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 8,583 times

Advertisements

Geeeezzzz, I'm nice... I don't eat pupies.... and I'm liberal! You better get used to democracy and you will find your spot
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,744,137 times
I haven't been on this forum in forever! But I was just going through old stuff because my interest in moving has been sparked again. I'm curious about something though. A few people on here have vehemently knocked NH and ME because of juvenile crime and kids having "nothing better to do than drink" or kids being drug dealers. How bad is this? I mean what are you comparing it to? Because I come from NJ and there are plenty of drugs and crime and gangs, believe me when I say plenty. We have kids dealing out of high school, etc. However, with that said, we have just as many, if not more, straight up honest good children/teens here as well. The good towns have crime too, it's not just the "bad" towns, although some are worse of course. So again, I'm curious to know just "how bad" this crime and drug issue is up there compared to here (or anywhere for that matter).

Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 AM

885 posts, read 2,309,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I haven't been on this forum in forever! But I was just going through old stuff because my interest in moving has been sparked again. I'm curious about something though. A few people on here have vehemently knocked NH and ME because of juvenile crime and kids having "nothing better to do than drink" or kids being drug dealers. How bad is this? I mean what are you comparing it to? Because I come from NJ and there are plenty of drugs and crime and gangs, believe me when I say plenty. We have kids dealing out of high school, etc. However, with that said, we have just as many, if not more, straight up honest good children/teens here as well. The good towns have crime too, it's not just the "bad" towns, although some are worse of course. So again, I'm curious to know just "how bad" this crime and drug issue is up there compared to here (or anywhere for that matter).
They must be comparing to Amish communities !!!!
It's NOTHING compared to any big state or city you care to mention. It's ridiculous to say kids have nothing to do here. Mountains, woods, rivers, parks make for healthy, active, well-rounded kids. Believe it or not, but schools also have sports teams and other extra-curricular activities too. There are the usual host of camps and activities in the summer. And yes, you might have to go a bit further to find it but that's no different to most western cities where everything is spread out miles apart.

And if all else fails - you know what? We've got electricity - so TV (color), Nintendo and cell phones work pretty well.

Of course, like you say - it's not exactly unheard of for kids in big cities to get into drugs, alcohol, crime and gangs.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:53 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,930,368 times
I agree w/rmcewan. Comparatively speaking, crime here is NOTHING. (my comparison is with LI, NY & LA, CA) NH has an abundance of vibrant towns offering an **excellent quality of life for families**. Many offer a plethora of activities right within the town. Oh, and modern amenities, too As a rule of thumb, wherever you choose to live in the world, if you want to avoid crime, steer clear of cities.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:11 AM

3,712 posts, read 9,224,621 times
I think the latest post that mentioned the cops' dealing with 'gang activity'... they were painting out graffiti. If that's the worst problems... yes, I'm not fooling myself: there are drugs in the high schools, has been for decades. But somehow, it's also easy to completely be oblivious to it and not even notice it! So compared to many bigger urban areas, NH really has very little gang trouble - mostly mischief (not entirely, but mostly).

Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,930,368 times
Yes, Wanna, I posted about the gang tags being painted over in Nashua. But remember that however suburban a lot of it is, Nashua is still a city compared to surrounding towns that really don't have gang issues (with the exception of Milford).

Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Thanks for everyone responding so quickly! I really was thinking "oh my god, how BAD is it" lol!! Ya know, I knock it here, but it's hard to leave too, but I do see that quality can be better elsewhere and opportunity too. Everything is so expensive here and so competitive that I can't see the quality getting better in the future. But I've also been on this forum for so long and have heard so many opinions and facts that my head spins sometimes. But it's good to know that in the past 2 years since I've joined, people still have nice things to say about interesting places

Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM

3,712 posts, read 9,224,621 times
That's ok, Pixie! Actually it's funny that you are saying how much NH gets knocked for being 'bad' - when earlier we were being accused of being all pollyanna about it! Nah, NH isn't bad at all - depending on what you're comparing it to.

Now you want bad, and expensive and stupid and rude.... try living in the Baltimore-DC-Northern VA area. ick.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:03 PM

Btw, where do you guys go to see a concert in NH? Just curious if you have an arena there say if Motley Crue or Bon Jovi come around lol. Do you have to go to Boston? Because one thing about NJ is we've got arenas!!!!! Just curious! Thanks

Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,939 times
i used to live in NJ and grew up Maine, but now live in southern NH. I have to say that of the three NH has been my favorite place. NJ was too busy and faced-paced but had a much stronger job market, Maine really offers more quality of life, but aside from Portland and a few other up and coming areas, the job market is fairly light.

New Hampshire seems to offer a happy medium of both a healthy job market and quality lifestyle. And you save on state taxes, which coming from NJ is a huge bonus! You will also find that insurance and other expenses will cost much less in NH.

I would definitely recommend checking out areas like Portsmouth or Manchester where you are within a reasonable distance from both the beaches and the mountains. Towns like Dover, Durham and Stratham are good places to find decent rentals or less expensive housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire