Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:02 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,313,731 times

Advertisements

I've been in the Maine forum quite a bit recently...my husband and I are seriously considering relocating there. We have school-aged children so first and foremost safety and education are our concerns. In addition, of course, our other concerns are jobs, job growth, housing and how the communities themselves are. I've heard wonderful things about Maine and I have a friend who's been there for 4 years and loves it. Coming from NJ, this of course will be a big change....however, I've heard a few comments on here that have gotten me second guessing my decisions. I've been told to go for NH as opposed to ME also. Can anyone tell me why NH would be better and/or what's it like living in NH? I would want to be in the southern part of the state most likely, as we still want to be near Maine and have family to visit in NJ. We also like the idea of living between mountains and beach (we're between both now in Jersey). Any info. would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2006, 06:21 PM

28 posts, read 131,666 times
Maine is much more expensive in cost of living, continously ranked among the highest in taxes. NH much better for professional type jobs and cost of living, both have high real estate values. Only one condition if you move to NH, DON'T BRING THE LIBERAL MINDSET HERE AND DEMAND ALL THE SERVICES, BIG GOVERNMENT, SPENDING, TAXES.... and we would love you to come!

Old 04-03-2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info. and for someone finally responding! Liberal??? No way. My goal in life is to watch my kids grow up healthy, happy and prosperous while my husband and I entertain our friends and family with a barbecue and some beers on our deck along with some Led Zeppelin in the background.... Liberal???!!! Live Free or Die - isn't that your motto? My personal favorite.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:31 PM

28 posts, read 131,666 times
Ok, you are in kid. As my other response basically said, you will be much happier, wealthier, and culturally satisfied living in NH. It is just a short drive to the Maine coast from southern NH and the job opportunities are much better here, and if you need a city fix Boston is an hour’s drive on the weekend. Maine is a much larger state and getting to job/viable living area is much farther driving. I love Portland and have done weekends all over the coast and inland lakes and mountains of Maine. You just need to realize Maine is a very large state and rural, NH is more concentrated and offers better living standards in the southern part of state along with awesome beauty from seacoast, to White Mountains, to lakes, and all the beauty of the western part of the state along the Connecticut River valley and Vermont. I live in a very rural town and have moose, turkey, deer, bear, fishercats, owls…. going thru my property throughout the year. But the black flies in spring are brutal, deer flies and horseflies all summer, and mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds. Lots of tradeoffs living in the country, but I am farther out than what you are probably considering. Give me some specifics on what you are looking for and I will tailor a more relevant response....take care.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:12 AM

Hi NHMT,

I'm responding to this post AND the post about Stratham, NH (you responded in there and that was mine too)! I'm not sure where to start so I'll just jump from one thing to the next....if we did move to Maine, we were going to move to the greater portland area (gorham, falmouth, windham, yarmouth up to brunswick, probably no further). If we were to move to New Hampshire, I would prefer to stay near the seacoast. First because we'd be near I-95, we could go back to jersey to visit, to boston or up to maine, quite easily. Also, we've grown up with beaches and mountains but we've always lived a little closer to mountains/state forests, so I'd like to see what the "shore" would be like. Lastly, and probably most importantly, I would assume that this (and maybe Merrimack Valley region) would be the best choice as far as job opportunity/job growth. One more reason, although I don't want my children living the fast paced lives that we have here near NYC, I'd still like them to be sort of close to a city where there's plenty of opportunities for them regarding education, recreation, etc. So to reiterate, my first preference would be seacoast (from the little research I've done, maybe Portsmouth, Durham or Stratham areas?). Second choice would be a toss up between Merrimack Valley and Lake region as of right now, since they're the next closest to seacoast (I don't know anything about them other than Nashua and Manchester are in Merr. Valley) Lastly would probably be Monadnock region, which I know nothing about at all other than it's still southern NH. Have I completely confused you yet?
As for your recommendation about not moving until 2007, we actually are not planning on moving for about 2 years anyway, which is good I suppose. However, your idea of expensive and mine might vary a great deal. What is your definition of inflated real estate prices? Here, it's insane. Where I live right now and the surrounding area, you are lucky if you find a home for under $350,000 that doesn't need more than a paint job. $300,000 needs work, $250,000 needs TLC or a complete gutting. Two family homes used to be a good investment remember? Well, here they're starting no lower than about $425,000-$450,000...for two units!!!! Rent is no cheaper than $1100/mo. for a two bedroom and a home for rent is no less than $1800 but usually more like $2200-$2500. Property taxes are considered low or a mistake if you're paying $6,000-$7,000 year. Most people pay closer to 10k. I wouldn't buy a house here if the money was handed to me. Resale is horrible and you're lucky if you're making the mortgage even if you're collecting rent. And where I live is probably the perfect spot in NJ. We're smack dab between the Delaware Water Gap, so you have mountains, we're about an hour's drive to the shore points and about 10-15 miles from NYC. Anywhere else is either less desirable living, even higher taxes with less property (go figure), "down the shore" (aka beach) where it's all resorts and crowds or out in what we call "the boonies".
We're not afraid of the cold at all. I love summer but not the kind we have here, way too humid. Can't even go outside sometimes it's too hot.
So what can you tell me based on anything you may have captured from my babble???!!! Thanks.

Last edited by pixieshmoo; 04-07-2006 at 12:17 AM..

Old 04-21-2006, 07:02 AM

Default Finally Narrowed it Down

Okay, I've finally narrowed it down, I think. If we were to move to NH, we'd be interested in the Greater Portsmouth area (Portsmouth, Greenland, Newington, Rye, North Hampton). What opinions can I get about these places? What do these towns/cities look like (clean/dirty, rich/poor, built-up/boondocks)? What about the school systems? Job opportunities? Crime/safety? And so on.....thank you!!

Old 04-21-2006, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 33,513 times
Default Maine vs. New Hampshire

Your in the same boat we're in, we were intending to move to New Hampshire from California, but the property taxes are something to consider. Maine is looking better. MorganQuitno has an interesting state-by-state comparison survey available on their website. It may cost you $5.00, but it's well worth the investment. Check it out...

Old 04-26-2006, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 22,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
I've been in the Maine forum quite a bit recently...my husband and I are seriously considering relocating there. We have school-aged children so first and foremost safety and education are our concerns. In addition, of course, our other concerns are jobs, job growth, housing and how the communities themselves are. I've heard wonderful things about Maine and I have a friend who's been there for 4 years and loves it. Coming from NJ, this of course will be a big change....however, I've heard a few comments on here that have gotten me second guessing my decisions. I've been told to go for NH as opposed to ME also. Can anyone tell me why NH would be better and/or what's it like living in NH? I would want to be in the southern part of the state most likely, as we still want to be near Maine and have family to visit in NJ. We also like the idea of living between mountains and beach (we're between both now in Jersey). Any info. would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

I lived in Keene, NH for 22 years of my life before moving to Maine. I have been in Maine for 5 yrs and now am moving back to NH. I guess it all depends on where you move in Maine. The ocean is beautiful but you could still be close enough to all of that from NH. Here are the reasons I dislike Maine. In NH there is no state tax nor do you have to pay excise tax on your vehicles. Also, you pay the state money out of your paycheck. I worked for a town office here for 3 1/2 yrs. It's outrageous what you have to pay taxes on up here. Where I am in the Lewiston/ Auburn area the crime rate is attrocious. I don't feel comfortable walking down certain streets with my daughter, esp. downtown. The umemployment rate is also high in Maine. Unless you are close to a big city such as Portland for example where you can commute. As I said before I've been here for 5 years and I still feel like an outsider. When you tell people where you are from they automatically say that you from "away" and treat you as such. It is strange to say the least. This is just my view but after growing up in NH and living in MAine for 5 yrs. There is no place I'd rather be than Keene, NH. It is a great place to raise a family with great schools and good people.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:54 PM

What are the schools/school systems like in NH? Mainly interested in seacoast or merrimack region. Can anyone compare them to Maine (if you've ever lived in ME too) or even NJ? I've looked up statistics but I want opinions of first-hand experience. Also, I don't feel the websites for NH schools give as much info. as I'd like to know. Thanks!-

Old 05-02-2006, 10:07 PM

Default Response to FinnBoy

I must disagree with you about taxes...however, the reason I'm disagreeing is because I am coming from NJ, taxes don't get much higher than here. Our average property taxes alone are (on an average lot 50x100) $8,000 to $10,000. Anything lower, you're either in the pits of (hell) Newark or Camden or you just haven't had an updated tax assessment in 10 to 20 years (which means it's coming any day now). Anything higher than that is for the "rich" people here. And when I say rich, I'm not talking mansions and 15 room houses, I'm talking a 4bR, 2-3Bth, 2 car garage (that's rich???). Rent here isn't under $1100 and you're lucky if you get 2Br's out of that and heat included. So take someone like me, you could put me anywhere and it'd probably be a relief.

I've researched Maine a lot, and although I had my heart set on it (and my man Stephen King lives there), upon more research, statistically, I think NH is a better choice. However, I am still in here to find out actual opinions from people who live or have lived there...mainly seacoast and merrimack valley regions. Any and all input, good or bad, is welcome!!!!

ACE11 - when you say the crime rate is attrocious, what types of crimes are you speaking of and do you know the statistics (let's say compared to NH or even NJ)? Coming from NJ, that's hard to believe period, but I've also heard that Maine's one of the safest states to raise a family (I know NH and VT were ranked up high too). I'll be d*a*m*n*ed though if I move somewhere worse than what I'm leaving. Thx.

Last edited by pixieshmoo; 05-02-2006 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire