Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 20,195 times

Advertisements

I've seen some previous posts asking the same question, but I was hoping I'd get some responses that better address my preferences.

I am most likely going to be working at Dartmouth for 2 years starting in August. I'm single, in my late 20s, female, and liberal. Unfortunately, I've only experienced living in very large, crowded cities, so NH is going to be a culture shock. I do like the outdoors, so I'm hoping to make the best of it.

I would like to live somewhere that's reasonably densely populated (with a chance of meeting people who are around my age), and a short commute to Dartmouth. Good food options are a plus. I also want the option to bike to campus at least a few days a week or when the weather's good. I'll be renting, and don't have a preference for either independent houses or apartment buildings.

Last edited by aegithina; 02-23-2012 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
New Hampshire is mostly a Republican state with small bastions of Democrats near mostly colleges and universities.

Hanover is a small town. Lebanon is a small town. Nothing else around the area other then more small towns.

Get yourself a map of Hanover. Determine how far from Dartmouth you are willing to travel. Then look for rentals.

You can try the newspaper the Valley News.
You can try the housing department at Dartmouth College.
You can try Cragslist - but about half the stuff on Craigslist is false or worse.

This part of New Hampshire (and Vermont) is quite rural. There is not much social activities other then those related to the college.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,293 times
If you plan on biking to campus in good weather, then you are really restricted to looking for housing in Hanover. Outside of town, it is dangerous to try and bike on the roadways. Hanover is the best choice for a young person, but it is still, as the other poster mentioned, a small town in a very rural area.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Hanover is really the only town that matches your criteria (maybe Lebanon...). This is a very rural area.

As for politics, unit's "small bastions" comment is not accurate.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegithina View Post
I've seen some previous posts asking the same question, but I was hoping I'd get some responses that better address my preferences.

I am most likely going to be working at Dartmouth for 2 years starting in August. I'm single, in my late 20s, female, and liberal. Unfortunately, I've only experienced living in very large, crowded cities, so NH is going to be a culture shock. I do like the outdoors, so I'm hoping to make the best of it.

I would like to live somewhere that's reasonably densely populated (with a chance of meeting people who are around my age), and a short commute to Dartmouth. Good food options are a plus. I also want the option to bike to campus at least a few days a week or when the weather's good. I'll be renting, and don't have a preference for either independent houses or apartment buildings.
Nowhere is "reasonably densely populated," or anywhere close. Your best option for all your other criteria is, unsurprisingly, Hanover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire