U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
 
3,252 posts, read 5,919,132 times
Reputation: 1577

Advertisements

If you want to go a little larger-scale, this is what we used to do: (not from this retailer, but this will sort of give you an idea, and mine came from a place near this). You can get it for a somewhat less elsewhere:

Side of Beef (http://www.wilsonbeeffarms.com/index_files/Page3854.htm - broken link)

We had a 26ft^3 freezer that would hold this, and will keep you swimming in beef for a while.
Most of these farms will get you anything you want.

(If you want corn, I can recommend a few places in upstate NY that will sell it for $0.20/ear, but be good at cutting it off the cob and freezing it, as it comes in lots of 100 ears).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: IN
19,917 posts, read 33,762,496 times
Reputation: 12233
I would recommend the Nature's Place line from Hannaford, but don't know if they sell prime rib that way. I don't particularly care for Market Basket meats at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM
 
3,252 posts, read 5,919,132 times
Reputation: 1577
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would recommend the Nature's Place line from Hannaford, but don't know if they sell prime rib that way. I don't particularly care for Market Basket meats at all.

Though it will cost you 50% more.... (I shop both places)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 PM
 
Location: IN
19,917 posts, read 33,762,496 times
Reputation: 12233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Though it will cost you 50% more.... (I shop both places)
A good reason for that... Nature's place doesn't have preservatives and fillers, and is organic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
 
3,252 posts, read 5,919,132 times
Reputation: 1577
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A good reason for that... Nature's place doesn't have preservatives and fillers, and is organic.

As does MB... documented evidence to prove otherwise, please....

(personally, I only buy grass-fed beef from upstate NY now, but Telemachus Demoulas, who lived only a few houses down, got us the best beef in the world )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
 
Location: IN
19,917 posts, read 33,762,496 times
Reputation: 12233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
As does MB... documented evidence to prove otherwise, please....

(personally, I only buy grass-fed beef from upstate NY now, but Telemachus Demoulas, who lived only a few houses down, got us the best beef in the world )
At the local level, I have bought grass fed beef from Miles Smith farm in Loudon and it was excellent. They charge a little under $7 a pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 AM
 
3,252 posts, read 5,919,132 times
Reputation: 1577
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
At the local level, I have bought grass fed beef from Miles Smith farm in Loudon and it was excellent. They charge a little under $7 a pound.

Ouch. Almost twice the price. Well, pay whatever suits you. (the relatives are farmers in upstate NY, with over 200 head of grass-fed steer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 03:43 PM
 
Location: IN
19,917 posts, read 33,762,496 times
Reputation: 12233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Ouch. Almost twice the price. Well, pay whatever suits you. (the relatives are farmers in upstate NY, with over 200 head of grass-fed steer).
Well, I don't eat beef very often so the price doesn't bother me much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM
 
Location: N.H Gods Country
2,359 posts, read 4,264,769 times
Reputation: 1964
What is the reasoning with grass fed beef. I always thoughe corn fed beef tasts better. All the beef raised in Florida i believe is grass fed and really didnt have much taste to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 05:55 PM
 
Location: IN
19,917 posts, read 33,762,496 times
Reputation: 12233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
What is the reasoning with grass fed beef. I always thoughe corn fed beef tasts better. All the beef raised in Florida i believe is grass fed and really didnt have much taste to it.
The corn fed beef is force-fed through the feedlot model which means that cows are confined in a small area. This is not the case with grass fed beef. I prefer the flavor of grass fed beef and you can find many local farms that sell it in NH! Obviously the price is higher, but I wager that would only be important if you eat beef all the time and no other types of meat...

I am not a vegetarian because I have severe food allergies so I don't eat wheat, dairy, soy, and eggs. So, I mainly eat lots of vegetables, fruits, potatoes, rice, and lean meats...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top