U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 PM

809 posts, read 1,071,074 times
Default Where can I buy a prime rib?

Do most of the grocery stores have it available at Easter time? Or is there somewhere better I should check?

I was told that it's hard to find the same cuts that restaurants get, so a standing rib roast will do, if it's a good quality. I found a recipe that's supposed to taste just like restaurant prime rib, so I'd like to try cooking it at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 PM

708 posts, read 678,550 times
Try Blood Farm in Groton, MA

They are a family run slaughter house and wholesale meat market. They do a lot of special orders.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Thanks, Morris. They're a little out of the way for me. Should've mentioned that I'm a little north of Concord. I have to go to the airport next week though, so somewhere in Manchester would be doable too.

I did come up with The Meat House in Pembroke in my search. They don't show prime rib on their website, but I'll call and ask about it.

As an aside, while I was searching, I came across healthybuffalo.com in Chichester. They sell all sorts of exotic meats, even wild boar and kangaroo. I've been by there numerous times and never knew!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM

426 posts, read 392,925 times
There is a Meat House in Concord, on the corner of 106 and Route 3. I would try there first.

If you find yourself up near Meredith, try The Wine'ing Butcher.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,846,235 times
Geez, you can get it at Market Basket/Demoulas (and it is top-notch)
They will ask you if you know what you are buying (I usually get ribs one through seven, and it is big)....
If you want to go to a more 'exclusive' you can go to Butcher Boy in North Andover, but you will pay more for the same thing.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 PM

4,029 posts, read 7,649,454 times
Closest to you would be Bull Run in Hooksett, just north of Exit 9 off Rte 93 (I've never bought from them, just know it's there from driving past). Mr. Steer in Londonderry, McKinnon's in Salem or Portsmouth, or Prime Butcher in Hampstead. Market Basket has semi-boneless rib roast this week for 4.99/pound, and it was very good. Perhaps not as flavorful as a full rib roast, but pretty darn close and a GREAT price

Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 AM

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to check out most of those places. But I'll see what Market Basket has to offer first. $4.99 is a great price if it's at least choice or select grade. The Meat House is close to my storage unit, so I'll be going by there this weekend and will see what they have. They claim their beef is properly aged, like in the old days. I'd like to try a steak and see if it really tastes better. I don't mind paying extra if the quality is noticeably better. We don't eat steaks or prime rib that often.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 AM

998 posts, read 1,354,475 times
I agree with SuperSparkle928. Check Market Basket. Their store here in Warner has great cuts of meat.
We raise all our own meat, except beef, so I'm pretty picky. With so much lamb, pork and goat in our freezer, we rarely eat beef. It's a special treat for us and Market Basket has not let us down. They too will custom cut you any size or shape.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 AM

33,394 posts, read 28,032,504 times
Mr. Steer in Londondery is my butcher of choice. I will try the Meat House in Concord. I have not had an aged steak in years. Cook out season is almost here.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:05 AM

998 posts, read 1,354,475 times
I've got gift certificates to the Meat House the last 2 Christmases. I was disappointed with their overpriced meat. I wouldn't spend my own money there. Just my opinion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire