U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 AM

35 posts, read 77,042 times

Advertisements

People are friendly, but there are not a lot of young people. I moved(returned) to northern NH at age 33 and had a hard time meeting people my age. I eventually moved south, as most of my family had done.
NH is one of the oldest states, population wise. It also has the highest amount of student leaving for higher education out of state. The average is about 20%, NH is closer to 50%
There is a good thread about the youth exodus in the Vermont forum.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 AM

1,771 posts, read 4,358,738 times
With a name that includes "hiker"- I imagine you can find A LOT of people with similar interests. Checkout various organizations, clubs, meetup, etc...and go from there.

Nashua is doing a lot lately to draw young professionals to town...if you did want NH- but closer to Boston.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM

13 posts, read 18,017 times
I'm from NYC and I've been in NH for 6 years in the Monadnock Region and have decided to move to Littleton/Bethlehem area because I found it to be (believe it or not) more social. I went into Rosa Flamingos this past weekend and the bar area was packed, loved it. Plus the accessibility to hiking trails can't be beat. Check out North Conway too, cool town, touristy though.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 4,661 times
I currently live in Lebanon, considering moving to Claremont. I will say it is hard for me to make friends here, but I am also sort of shy and not the most outdoorsy person. So that's just me. If you are an outdoorsy person, I don't think you will have a problem making friends. It is true there are not a lot of young single people...the area is great to raise a family in, but not great to meet people. I think the Dartmouth Outing Club is open to the public and they have alot of groups around the outdoors: Dartmouth Outing Club
I don't know about Littleton, but there are Planet Fitnesses in many area. THere are lots of gyms near Dartmouth, both upscale (river valley club) and basic (off Lebanon square, can't remember the name)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM

20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times
Some areas of NH do not receive many transplants or outsiders, the rural Monadnock region being one. As others mentioned, if you are into outdoor recreation, join a group and you will meet plenty of like-minded people.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM

64 posts, read 71,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clkad View Post
I'm from NYC and I've been in NH for 6 years in the Monadnock Region and have decided to move to Littleton/Bethlehem area because I found it to be (believe it or not) more social. I went into Rosa Flamingos this past weekend and the bar area was packed, loved it. Plus the accessibility to hiking trails can't be beat. Check out North Conway too, cool town, touristy though.
Interesting. I was just about to go to Rosa Flamingos a couple of days ago. I don't live in the area yet, but I had a dinner meeting with a potential employer. He wanted to go to Rosa Flamingo's, and there was only one table open - right in front of the stage and the band, haha. So he decided it might not be the best place for an informational/conversational dinner. We ended up going to the Little Grille in Littleton. This was Wednesday night.

So you seem like a good source of information and you live in the same area I would live in if I moved there. What else can you tell me about social life, making friends and getting out and about and doing things in the Franconia, Bethlehem and Littleton areas?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,271,735 times
Hi NHHiker1 - My husband and I lived in Littleton for 3 years and enjoyed it immensely.

Just like anywhere, it takes time to build friendships. My husband plays guitar and a lot of our friends were musicians. We also made friends thru City-Data, which was nice, and a couple from where he worked. I work from home, so didn't have the "work contacts" a lot of people would have.

My best advice to you is to be open and friendly, as others have said, and don't try to change things to what you are used to. Most of the people we met in Littleton and Bethlehem and Monroe were "surface" friendly until they got to know us and then they were "real" friendly, if that makes any sense.

I don't know what Littleton is like at the current time, or what is there now. When we left they were redoing Main Street and there was talk of new stores that would be opening. I would suggest contacting the Chamber of Commerce. They may be able to steer you in the right direction regarding clubs/groups/etc. that may interest you. The library or book store also may be able to help you. There was a music store in town when we were there, and I'm assuming it's still there - that was where we found out about a lot of music events.

I don't know if you'll be renting or buying a house, but real estate agencies in Littleton have a lot of information regarding what to do, what's going on, etc.

Again, in our experience, we were friendly with those we came in contact and friendship evolved over time. One thing you don't want to do (at least by my experience) is be pushy. Tell people you're new to the area and answer any questions they have, ask them questions about the area and you shouldn't have much trouble making friends. Just take it slow and you'll be fine. Hope this helps!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 AM

64 posts, read 71,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Hi NHHiker1 - My husband and I lived in Littleton for 3 years and enjoyed it immensely.

Just like anywhere, it takes time to build friendships. My husband plays guitar and a lot of our friends were musicians. We also made friends thru City-Data, which was nice, and a couple from where he worked. I work from home, so didn't have the "work contacts" a lot of people would have.

My best advice to you is to be open and friendly, as others have said, and don't try to change things to what you are used to. Most of the people we met in Littleton and Bethlehem and Monroe were "surface" friendly until they got to know us and then they were "real" friendly, if that makes any sense.

I don't know what Littleton is like at the current time, or what is there now. When we left they were redoing Main Street and there was talk of new stores that would be opening. I would suggest contacting the Chamber of Commerce. They may be able to steer you in the right direction regarding clubs/groups/etc. that may interest you. The library or book store also may be able to help you. There was a music store in town when we were there, and I'm assuming it's still there - that was where we found out about a lot of music events.

I don't know if you'll be renting or buying a house, but real estate agencies in Littleton have a lot of information regarding what to do, what's going on, etc.

Again, in our experience, we were friendly with those we came in contact and friendship evolved over time. One thing you don't want to do (at least by my experience) is be pushy. Tell people you're new to the area and answer any questions they have, ask them questions about the area and you shouldn't have much trouble making friends. Just take it slow and you'll be fine. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the great information!

Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 AM

497 posts, read 805,593 times
As a general rule, anywhere, most folks will be as friendly as your approach. I you meet folks with an open and honset attitude, most will be friendly back.
Sort of the old tried and trusted "do unto others..." Gee, imagine that.
We came up here after living in Northern NJ, 4 miles from NYC. I swear they bred rude there. We could not take the whole bustling nonsence anymore, and after 40 some odd years living in the armpit of Ameica, came to NH to detoxify ourselves from it all.

We've made friends, and have found most folks are cordial, but reserved.

Not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or