U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
 
64 posts, read 72,077 times
Reputation: 56

Advertisements

I've browsed through a lot of threads trying to find some answers to this but the results seem to be mixed. One thread said something like, "Don't expect a warm welcome or more than surface-level friendship" if you move there, which seems quite exaggerated.

Others say repeatedly how friendly people are, etc.

So what's the real deal? I'm 25 years old, single with no kids, love sports and the outdoors, and love meeting new people and hanging out.

So tell me, just how hard is it to make new friends in the Northern White Mountains area for someone like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
 
64 posts, read 72,077 times
Reputation: 56
And I'll add in another question to this thread so I don't have to start a whole new thread.

Right now I live in a city where there are multiple gyms, workout places and recreational facilities.

In other words, if you want to join a basketball or volleyball league, you don't have to look far.

How hard would it be to find a competitive basketball or volleyball league, for example, around like the Littleton area? I wouldn't mind driving 30 minutes or so, but if I had to guess it seems like YMCA-type places are more limited around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 9,868,583 times
Reputation: 3782
I find it very easy to make friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Madbury, New Hampshire
885 posts, read 2,331,939 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
So tell me, just how hard is it to make new friends in the Northern White Mountains area for someone like me?
Common question, common anxiety (and perfectly understandable). If you are currently living in Antarctica or on a desert island, then the answer is it will be EASIER. If you currently live in a city of 10 million people, then it will be HARDER. All other factors are roughly equal - the only variables are really your ability to speak the same language, and the number of opportunities you have - and that is driven by how many folks are around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 PM
 
64 posts, read 72,077 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Common question, common anxiety (and perfectly understandable). If you are currently living in Antarctica or on a desert island, then the answer is it will be EASIER. If you currently live in a city of 10 million people, then it will be HARDER. All other factors are roughly equal - the only variables are really your ability to speak the same language, and the number of opportunities you have - and that is driven by how many folks are around.
Well. Thanks for the response. I suppose I assumed it was obvious that much of making friends has to do with willingness to get out and meet them, haha. I know that much.

If you want me to be a little bit clearer, I suppose I was referring to how the spacing and scarcity of people in the area compares to that of a normal town/city (somewhere in the range of 30,000-100,000).

Obviously when you live in a normal city, there are going to be plenty of opportunities to go to the gym with friends, participate in groups and things like that. I figure it might not be as easy with the more spread out population, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Monadnock region
3,712 posts, read 9,338,535 times
Reputation: 2425
but there are still gyms that people go to, there are still grocery stores where people shop, there are still churches, and there are still outdoors groups. You might check on meetup to see if there's any hiking groups in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,582,235 times
Reputation: 24548
I would start by joining the Appalachian Mountain Club. They are the largest and most active hiking/outdoors group I know of. Lots of college student involvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
230 posts, read 413,777 times
Reputation: 352
I spent my formative years onward (until recently) in northern NH. It can be difficult to make friends if you appear different (especially if you're a "flatlander"), but my experience has been that even then you will be accepted if you just stick around long enough and make an effort to talk to people, especially wherever you're working. One thing that is not viewed kindly is people who make no effort to socialize with others; they're very quickly labelled as "full of themselves." At the same time, it's not really the type of place where you would really strike up a conversation at Wal-Mart while you're waiting to be checked out; that is, unless you see someone you know, in which case people are generally pretty loud in greeting one another.

Something else: don't think - not even for a second - of trying to gain friends by impressing people with who you know, what kind of car you drive, what clothes you wear, or where you've lived and what you've done. Folks there don't give a ****. You will be liked or disliked based on how you are as a person and how you treat others.

Finally, I would suggest, as GregW did, that you join the AMC. Meeting fellow hikers through the AMC is a great way of meeting people, and people can be more willing to befriend you if there's some commonality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 9,868,583 times
Reputation: 3782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
I spent my formative years onward (until recently) in northern NH. It can be difficult to make friends if you appear different (especially if you're a "flatlander"), but my experience has been that even then you will be accepted if you just stick around long enough and make an effort to talk to people, especially wherever you're working. One thing that is not viewed kindly is people who make no effort to socialize with others; they're very quickly labelled as "full of themselves." At the same time, it's not really the type of place where you would really strike up a conversation at Wal-Mart while you're waiting to be checked out; that is, unless you see someone you know, in which case people are generally pretty loud in greeting one another.

Something else: don't think - not even for a second - of trying to gain friends by impressing people with who you know, what kind of car you drive, what clothes you wear, or where you've lived and what you've done. Folks there don't give a ****. You will be liked or disliked based on how you are as a person and how you treat others.

Finally, I would suggest, as GregW did, that you join the AMC. Meeting fellow hikers through the AMC is a great way of meeting people, and people can be more willing to befriend you if there's some commonality.

I have to say I'm different and friendly but I seem to meet lots of people that enjoy me
volunteer and dog walking is an easy way and always wear your smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Central, NH
468 posts, read 722,121 times
Reputation: 484
If you are a friendly person, it is likely you will not have trouble making friends wherever you go, as long as you don't move in to an area then complain about the area and want to change it.

I have found that if people are always complaining that other people are unfriendly to them, it is likely not the other people that are at issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top