U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,440 times
Is there a good resource to find rental homes in Shelburne or Milan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,110 times
I'm thinking of moving to NH from Baltimore. So I guess the grittiness (?) of Berlin might appeal to me. I can hardly imagine its as bad as you guys are saying. But I'll check on the crime stats. You sure seem to have a beautiful riverfront and nice old buildings in a striking setting. I'm surprised you haven't opened up the waterfront for a promenade or something to take advantage. But I definitely come away with an overall dower outlook from the responses.

I was looking at Littleton as well. They seemed to be a bit more enthused over there. Problem with Littleton is it seems that it never went south like Berlin seems to have after the mills shut. Which, ironically, can be a negative since housing continued to be built in Littleton and new homes are eyesores to a one and can really distract from the old authentic look of a city. For this reason, I came to Baltimore: so depressed for so long its still pretty.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 AM

33,431 posts, read 28,074,368 times
Much of Main Street in Littleton has avoided uglyfication. Change has happened in the surrounding stretches along RT 10 with the building of many big box stores but they had to put them somewhere. I think the difference was caused by Littleton’s industry collapsed slowly and new industries moved into the industrial parks. As a result Littleton maintained a semi-functioning economy. Most of the rest of the riverside towns, Gorham, Groveton, Milan, Berlin, had become completely dependent on the old paper mills so when they closed, after being milked by a succession of ever more stingy owners, the town's economies completely collapsed.

I have noted a new type of economy developing in the North Country. In the tiny town my S-I-L lives in this week there were four people in the local Volunteer Fire Department off on business to four different countries on three different continents. These people live and spend much of their income in the North Country while travelling the world for business. Providing these people with services may become a substantial part of the future economies of the North Country in addition to accommodating the tourists.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 AM

Yeah, I think you guys are way selling yourselves short. I mean, I can understand coming from the recent history, but--really--an outsider can see tons to market in Berlin. That waterfront needs to be exploited and you guys need to get your minds off lost factories and your minds on tourism and retirees/telecommuter-types/etc. Just don't do it cheesy like most cities do with big developers who have three (lousy) designs to choose from using fake bricks and aluminum sticking out of things. Make it look authentic. If the NYC design community poo-poos it, stuff 'em.

I even checked on your crime statistics on this site and found that not only is your crime rate way below the national average per capita but its even low by New Hampshire standards, itself a low-crime state. 2011 saw a jump but was still way lower than most places. And in a small community, a jump or drop over a single year is usually just an aberration.

Looking at Berlin from the outside, it appears anything but scary. Uh, other than that prison coming in. Is that in-town or off in the mountains somewhere? If its anywhere near town, that could truely give people the creeps.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 AM

BTW, how in the world does this site figure out how many times your post has been read?

Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 PM

1,756 posts, read 1,464,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracoid View Post
BTW, how in the world does this site figure out how many times your post has been read?
It's easy. Anytime a browser requests or views a page from a web server the server can and usually does record various information.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM

That assumes that the person requesting the page read all the Replies that appear on that page, right?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM

29 posts, read 33,192 times
It's been many years since I've been to Berlin (1996 to be exact). I spent a year living in Groveton, not far from Berlin. Not the easiest place to live. As GregW mentioned, the area has suffered from a stagnant economy. However, I recently saw a news clip on the beautification being done in Berlin. If you go to WMUR and search for "Heart of Your City: Berlin", you'll see a short video featuring Sylvia Poulin who is working on rejuvinating the downtown area. I found it inspiring. A big part in building a community comes from each individual working towards making a difference.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 477 times
Sister in Law just bought house in Berlin and I am considering making offer on one too. Have been a few times, stayed over a couple days each time, and met prospective neighbors and toured town a lot. I think it is beautiful with some well kept housing (although some not), spectacular mountain views, the people are the salt of the earth and those that have lived there all their lives are very proud and devoted citizens. There is new investment in town indicated by rehabbed buildings and some interesting and artsy new shops and restaurants. The state is committed to investing there in facilities under construction, there is decent public transportation and it is a short drive to mountain attractions in all seasons. What's not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire