Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:22 PM

25 posts, read 83,263 times

Advertisements

So I am considering moving to Portsmouth NH. It looks like a beautiful area, right on the ocean and all. It has things I'm looking for including: a hospital (I'm an RN and need to have somewhere to work); its beautiful (already said that ); it has a lot of downtown charm (very walkable!); its not in or anywhere near Utah; its not a big city; it has tons of outdoor stuff to do; and it has all four seasons with lots of snow! So my biggest concern is how fun is it to live there? The most important thing when picking somewhere to move is probably the night life. Being 23 and living in a tiny crap hole town in Utah has REALLY deprived me of enjoying my 20's. I want to move somewhere that it will be easy to make friends my own age and has a really fun nightlife. I do NOT want to move to a big city and I am over the whole hot desert thing (please do not suggest Texas, I know it is THE place for the 20-somethings but I just don't want to live there) I have also considered Portland Maine but the job market for RN's there doesn't seem all that open. I've also considered Burlington VT and suggestions about there are welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Look into Plattsburgh NY, which is a more affordable alternative to Burlington, but provides many things that are similar. Here's hospital information: CVPH Medical Center : Providing a comprehensive array of medical services to meet the needs of our community.

and more information: Go Adirondack -Home Page - The Adirondack Coast - Lake Champlain - New York

Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
u can make the best of any city or it could absolutely suck. As a warning, a lot of people have their social circles already formed especially in smaller cities. You would need to join activities to meet people.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
Protsmouth is a great place, and certainly fits most of what you are saying you'd like to have (as you yourself note). When it comes to fun, it depends what you mean. There are some good bars and restaurants, some good coffee shops, too, and there are nearby recreational options. But if you are looking for more than a handful of such places, or if you are looking for more of a night club type atmosphere, Portsmouth is too small. There are, by the way, lots of other small cities throughout the Northeast that would fit most of what you've described.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 PM

88 posts, read 205,533 times
I actually really like Portsmouth, NH. It's a great little city, beautiful in the summer and an escape from the summer humidity & heat. Its got the charm of the maritime provinces, yet the amenities of being in the US. There's a huge, gorgeous Whole Foods there ... which does give you an indication of the locals. (seriously, Whole Foods here rivals the ones in OC).

The downtown is very walkable and there's a nice, friendly feel to it. It's not overwhelming, but there are lots of little shops. It's probably not that exciting for tourists for long vacations, but so are most of the towns that are some of the best to actually live in. There are a ton of outdoor amenities too - and it's a safe place!

I don't know much about Burlington, but I don't think I'd want to live there. It's kinda remote, there isn't much nearby and I personally would be very bored.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebePaddy View Post
I actually really like Portsmouth, NH. It's a great little city, beautiful in the summer and an escape from the summer humidity & heat. Its got the charm of the maritime provinces, yet the amenities of being in the US. There's a huge, gorgeous Whole Foods there ... which does give you an indication of the locals. (seriously, Whole Foods here rivals the ones in OC).

The downtown is very walkable and there's a nice, friendly feel to it. It's not overwhelming, but there are lots of little shops. It's probably not that exciting for tourists for long vacations, but so are most of the towns that are some of the best to actually live in. There are a ton of outdoor amenities too - and it's a safe place!

I don't know much about Burlington, but I don't think I'd want to live there. It's kinda remote, there isn't much nearby and I personally would be very bored.
Burlington isn't too far from Montreal and if you like the outdoors, then it is in a great location.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Portsmouth is great. It's got a good bit going on and it isn't too far from Boston, Portland, the lakes or the mountains if you like the outdoors or want to go to a "bigger" city. I think you'd be very happy there, one of my friends spent her mid 20s there not long ago and cites it as one of the best times of her life.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,252 times
Portsmouth NH is an enviable and absolutely lovely, place to live..
Have you seen images of it online?? Oh heck YES, live there.. you will love it.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebePaddy View Post

There is NO whole foods in Portsmouth.
Wish there was one!

Portsmouth isnt that large population wise, but Boston and Portland make good day trips. Im lucky i can park at Harvard so i go to Cambridge a lot when i need a city fix.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Portsmouth is perfect for you. Guaranteed to be better nightlife than Utah (I lived there for 3 years and was not impressed by their 'private clubs for members').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire