U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 PM

1,771 posts, read 4,280,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Sounds like May flies (aka: black flies) to me.
Val-

May flies are harmless and don't bite:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly

In fact they are a sign of clean water and trout LOVE them.

Black flies are completely different:
Black Flies | Biological Indicators of Watershed Health | US EPA

Black flies bother some folks but not others...cause irritation on some but not others, etc.

Many people call black flies (aka buffalo gnats) may flies because they are prevalent in May. This is incorrect as May Fly is an actually completely different insect we have in NH...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM

4,530 posts, read 11,501,193 times
I stand corrected! The Mayfly on the link that you provided is NOTHING like the black flies that is the bane of all gardeners who are trying to get soil ready for planting in a week or two! I've always used the term interchangeably, and now I know better

Last edited by Valerie C; 05-13-2012 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: BF, looks like our 'May Fly' posts hit at the same moment, 9:02 PM :)

Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 AM

137 posts, read 284,646 times
Thanks for all the info.
These are just slighter bigger than regular gnats so I'm thinking they might be some kind of gnat!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,979,464 times
No doubt about it. Black flies.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,894,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Sounds like May flies (aka: black flies) to me. They will SWARM your face and drive you crazy, and will sometimes draw blood when they bite (other times they just seem to swarm and not bite...) Anyway, the good news is that by the first week of June, they are for the most part gone.

The concern with mosquitoes isn't so much now, early in the season. It's later on, when they start carrying disease, like EEE and West Nile Virus. It's pretty important to wear your bug spray in from late August through the killing frost whenever you're outside in southern NH at dawn/dusk
Have you heard the rumors about mosquitoes now carring Lyme Disease? I hope it is just rumors.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Have you heard the rumors about mosquitoes now carring Lyme Disease? I hope it is just rumors.
Even if mosquitos were able to be a carrier of Lyme; the typical "bite" lasts for a very short period of time. A tick carrying lyme typically takes 36+ hours for the bacteria to be transferred to the host from the tick. Granted it can happen faster- but even in the fastest cases it's not even remotely close to the duration of a mosquito bite.

In short- it's not a huge worry. Even the majority of black-legged (Deer) tick bites don't result in lyme being transferred to the host because of the required duration of the bite.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,894,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Even if mosquitos were able to be a carrier of Lyme; the typical "bite" lasts for a very short period of time. A tick carrying lyme typically takes 36+ hours for the bacteria to be transferred to the host from the tick. Granted it can happen faster- but even in the fastest cases it's not even remotely close to the duration of a mosquito bite.

In short- it's not a huge worry. Even the majority of black-legged (Deer) tick bites don't result in lyme being transferred to the host because of the required duration of the bite.
Does that mean the tick has to be latched on for 36 hours ?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Does that mean the tick has to be latched on for 36 hours ?
Yes...in most cases a Lyme carrying tick needs to be latched on for 36 hours before the Lyme transfers to the human. I've seen other warnings that say "at least 24 hours" as well; but 36 is cited much more frequently now.

Basically it takes a good bit of time for the nasty to go from the tick to the human in sufficient quantity to actually be able to multiply & cause problems for the human.

I consider this a good thing...it means if I shower in the morning and am tick free...but return at night with a tick or two attached...while I still watch for symptoms- I most likely have nothing to worry about.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 PM

4,530 posts, read 11,501,193 times
Finding a full-size (adult) deer tick is relatively easy, right? But what about the much smaller nymph tick?

Can YOU find the deer tick on this enlarged picture of a bagel (hint: shrink it down till the poppy seeds are actual size THEN try to find the tick. Now imagine trying to find this on yourself.

A deer tick in the nymph stage--the one most commonly responsible for causing Lyme Disease (and other co-infections) is the size of a poppy seed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Yes...in most cases a Lyme carrying tick needs to be latched on for 36 hours before the Lyme transfers to the human. I've seen other warnings that say "at least 24 hours" as well; but 36 is cited much more frequently now.

Basically it takes a good bit of time for the nasty to go from the tick to the human in sufficient quantity to actually be able to multiply & cause problems for the human.

I consider this a good thing...it means if I shower in the morning and am tick free...but return at night with a tick or two attached...while I still watch for symptoms- I most likely have nothing to worry about.
And yet, the incidence of Lyme Disease continues to grow...

Last edited by Valerie C; 05-14-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 05:09 AM

41,507 posts, read 48,310,232 times
I am in a returned infection stage of Lyme disease. I had symptoms two years ago and they have returned. The major symptoms are pain in every joint and muscle as well as incredible fatigue that is not cured by sleeping. I am treating the infection with very strong antibiotics and they are no picnic either.

BTW – The little flying bugs are black flies or No-see-ums. They are really annoying when they get inside a helmet when you are riding a motorcycle. I have had them actually get inside sealed goggles through the air vents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire