Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 41,509 times

Advertisements

I've just discovered this great site and read through lots of postings - all very interesting. Sounds like a lot of people are in the same position as us - considering a move from NJ to NH. I'm wondering if there is someone who has actually already made the move that can tell me ~ Do you like it? Do you find that the people are similar? Are you freezing to death?

My husband and I are so torn - we are from Hunterdon County - one of the most beautiful areas in the state, some of the best schools in the country, awesome people, but VERY expensive. Many areas of Southern NH seem to be very similar to where we are from, but much more affordable. The problem with NJ is that once you drive 30 minutes outside your beautiful place, there are some seriously undesirable areas. The population is also rapidly growing and changing - serious concerns for our kids' future. We feel that NH might be a better long term plan for them.

I was recently told by someone that moved from NH to NJ that they are experiencing the same problems - population growing, developments going in, more traffic, etc. as more and more people are heading there to commute to Boston, but live in the country. Can anyone comment on this? I find it hard to believe....

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Hi TSPP,

I moved from NJ to NH in 1999. Since I moved to NH, I have seen a lot of changes to NH, most not for the better. Increased crime, illegal aliens, big box stores and developments popping up all over. NH was always a very conservative live free or die state, that is changing because people move here for cheaper housing not to keep NH the way it is. They move in and want to change it and to me that is just wrong.

I don't know if you were born and raised in NJ but I was. I grew up at the Jersey shore and I saw how NJ became overrun, unaffordable and in my opinion ruined. In my opinion, parts of NH remind me of my youth of NJ as far as open space, politics, etc. I would hate to see NH become ruined as well.

The people up here are different to me. Not bad- just different from growing up at the Jersey shore. It is nice up here-just different- but I moved here knowing that and have no desire to change it. I don't like when people move anywhere and think they know better and set out to change it when it has worked fine for many years.

Am I totally comfortable here? No . Some days I am so comfortable here and some days I feel out of place.

I don't want to keep babbling-feel free to DM me with any questions about anything and I will be glad to answer them.

Good Luck,

Nicole

Old 09-20-2007, 07:29 PM

Thanks for your reply Nicole. Yes, I'm born and raised in Hunterdon County, although I have lived all over the country in my adult life. I'm definitely an east coaster (although many people from the west coast always seem to think I belong in Oregon?, I won't go that far from home now that I have children of my own and am very close to my family), and after spending several years in the south, have realized that I'm a NORTH east coaster. For many reasons, would never raise kids in the south, so we are back North to stay. Just have to figure out how far north....

NH seems to have everything we are looking for (on paper). But you never know till you get somewhere what it's really like. We have been spending a lot of time there over the past few years and have loved the people we've interacted with. Yet, I'm continually warned that we will always be outsiders if we move there. I will say, though, that I was also told that about another area of the country we lived in for two years, and we had no problems.

One thing I don't like about the idea of raising my kids back home is that there is sooo much money there - I don't think that's good for kids. I was thinking that NH would be a simplier life - kids not getting BMW's for their 17th birthdays, trips to Europe for graduation presents, etc. We are certainly not going to raise our kids that way. But some of the posts I've read make Southern NH sound like it's the same thing.

It's all very interesting. Anyone else who has input to compare the two places would be appreciated. Thanks....

Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Hi TSPP
I can't compare the two, but I can speak as a southern NH resident, taxpayer and parent. I live in Londonderry, and work all over the southern part of the state. Growth is evident everywhere, but many towns have been able to restrict the major growth (box stores, chain restaurants, etc) to one or two major roads that run through town. Londonderry for instance has quite a mix along busy Route 102 (Home Depot, Sears, TJ Maxx, Homegoods, Marshalls, McDs's, Dunkin D's, and various stores in mini-malls. It's not "rural" by any stretch, but at least the businesses don't extend into residential areas, as I've seen in so many Massachusetts towns. Smaller towns seem to take new residents longer to feel accepted, or at least that's been my experience. If I can help with gathering you some info on SNH towns, please feel free to send a direct message.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,969 times
We just moved this past July from Bridgewater, NJ to Bedford and we love it here. We have found the people to be very warm and welcoming. Many people we meet are not originally from NH so they experienced the transition themselves at some point.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:59 PM

223 posts, read 796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPP View Post
Thanks for your reply Nicole. Yes, I'm born and raised in Hunterdon County, although I have lived all over the country in my adult life. I'm definitely an east coaster (although many people from the west coast always seem to think I belong in Oregon?, I won't go that far from home now that I have children of my own and am very close to my family), and after spending several years in the south, have realized that I'm a NORTH east coaster. For many reasons, would never raise kids in the south, so we are back North to stay. Just have to figure out how far north....

NH seems to have everything we are looking for (on paper). But you never know till you get somewhere what it's really like. We have been spending a lot of time there over the past few years and have loved the people we've interacted with. Yet, I'm continually warned that we will always be outsiders if we move there. I will say, though, that I was also told that about another area of the country we lived in for two years, and we had no problems.

One thing I don't like about the idea of raising my kids back home is that there is sooo much money there - I don't think that's good for kids. I was thinking that NH would be a simplier life - kids not getting BMW's for their 17th birthdays, trips to Europe for graduation presents, etc. We are certainly not going to raise our kids that way. But some of the posts I've read make Southern NH sound like it's the same thing.

It's all very interesting. Anyone else who has input to compare the two places would be appreciated. Thanks....
I've lived in NJ all my life and am moving next month for the reasons you cited. I was a public school teacher here and I think you would do your children a service by moving now so that by the time they're of high school age they'd be fully integrated in the community and can make a life for themselves there. I think the right spot in NH would be a wonderful move. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. Bridgewater is 20 min from where I'm originally from, so that is a good comparison. KKCSMOM - how have you found the areas to be simliar and how are they different?

JimmyLane - where have you taught in NJ? (I just mean area/district, you don't have to tell me the specific school) Please keep me posted on how the move and transition goes. I"m a speech path in the schools, and I would intend to work in the schools if I eventually go to NH.

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:45 AM

835 posts, read 2,877,464 times
I live in Londonderry in a quiet neighborhood that feels like you're in the country but it's close to the highway and shopping. Incidently I am originally from NJ. Grew up in Pemberton which is on the way to the Jersey shore. We have lived here in NH for 10 years but recently my husband took a job in NC so we are moving, but this is a great place to raise children. The schools are in the top 10 in the nation which is one of the reasons why we chose Londonderry. I have our home posted for sale in the classified section. If I can answer any questions, please contact me.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
dinalkulp, I recognize your house
(I represented the Buyer for #24 up the street at the end of July.)

If someone is considering Londonderry, that neighborhood is one of the nicest. No cut-thru traffic, very well kept. People walk, bike ride & push strollers safely. Please let me know if you'd consider working with a buyer agent--I keep a list of agent-friendly FSBO homes in nearby towns that I let my buyers know about...

Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM

835 posts, read 2,877,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
dinalkulp, I recognize your house
(I represented the Buyer for #24 up the street at the end of July.)

If someone is considering Londonderry, that neighborhood is one of the nicest. No cut-thru traffic, very well kept. People walk, bike ride & push strollers safely. Please let me know if you'd consider working with a buyer agent--I keep a list of agent-friendly FSBO homes in nearby towns that I let my buyers know about...
Hi Valerie,
We would consider working with a buyer agent and will pay up to 2% buyer agent fee. Bring your buyers over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire