U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,840 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am wondering what Berlin NH is like... was thinking of moving there with my toddler.
What are the schools like, playgrounds, library,what activities are there....
I will not be looking for work...

Any and all information is appreciated!

Thank You!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,054,342 times
if you do a search, there are a lot of threads about Berlin - unfortunately few of them very favorable. they may answer your question (never having been there, I can't speak to it).

Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,483,976 times
I remember just DRIVING through Berlin and smelling the odor from the paper mills.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 AM

22 posts, read 10,416 times
The odor is no longer there but not sure that the river isn"t still polluted.Berlin is a poor area-used to be mainly populated by French loggers and at one time was the biggest shopping area around the North Country.The people there always kept their homes up and still are trying to in some areas other areas look like a slum.The state is putting a prison up there but jobs are only available if your I think 37 or younger'don"t have debt and of course no criminal record.Not sure how that is going to help the area unless bringing in all these younger people from out of state will create a need for other business.Also it could bring in the families of the prisoners who might be expecting financial aid that isn"t there.Homes are cheap.There is a super Walmart in Gorham and that is about it.There is a hospital.Possible plans to open another type mill but cleaner then the past ones.I just kinda think the state should have come up with something better for Berlin then a prison.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 AM

33,629 posts, read 28,904,943 times
Given the State politics in NH a prison was more than could be expected. Our Legislature is infested with the most selfish people on the planet.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 PM

3,033 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I remember just DRIVING through Berlin and smelling the odor from the paper mills.

no more odor or stained laundry from hanging outdoors because the paper mills are gone.

Berlin is a beautiful small town. It sits in a valley surrounded by mountains.

Home - Berlin, New Hampshire - YouTube

Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM

22 posts, read 10,416 times
Wow= really enjoyed the films from Berlin.I don't know why I thought it was mainly populated by French loggers except that a good friend of mine had relatives from that area and they were French and even now when I on occasion go there most of the people I have spoken to from the area are of French extraction. I would love to see Berlin make it again even though I am not from that area. It was an era where you worked hard for your money but the people were decent.They didn't know how the chemicals used at that time could affect them.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:47 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,483,976 times
When did they close down the paper mills? I was last up there 10+ years ago.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 PM

15,342 posts, read 21,273,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
When did they close down the paper mills? I was last up there 10+ years ago.
4-5 years ago if I recall, perhaps longer.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:33 AM

10 posts, read 16,039 times
I have been looking for info on Berlin myself due to a possible work transfer. Much of the info I've found on this site is biased in the negative, outdated, or just not helpful. Any info along what Jodie is looking for would be awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire