U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2012, 01:10 AM

71 posts, read 75,419 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd ask and see what everyone's got to say about Claremont & Lebanon as potential places to live (near)? I figured I'd ask just in case they've got bad reputations like Berlin

We're going to be driving up to NH sometime at the end of June and tooling around most of July seeing what places are like--but I'd really appreciate any input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 04:38 AM

971 posts, read 1,245,413 times
You don't provide much information with question. New job? Have children? Have pets? Retirement? Renting? Purchasing? Long term? Short term?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
You don't provide much information with question. New job? Have children? Have pets? Retirement? Renting? Purchasing? Long term? Short term?
No, I didn't actually post much info, did I?

Married - yes.
Pets - yes.
Children - nope. Don't have the patience req'd!
Retirement - eh, not exactly, but sort of. We'll have the house paid off in one-go so the jobs will be for mad money and food.
Purchasing - yep. somewhere in NH.

Ideally I'm just looking for the feel of some of the places/towns. Up until now most of the places I've been researching have been on the other side of the state.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 AM

530 posts, read 654,423 times
Lebanon, Plainfield, Cornish are all very nice, but Claremont not so much. The area is called the Upper Valley and is home to Dartmouth and a great medical center, DHMC. Hanover is a college town and very pricey. I've always like Lebanon the best.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,816,946 times
Claremont has always been a little "gritty" but unlike a lot of towns that lost their economic base when the big machine shops left, is working hard to make a comeback. Claremont is in the process of building a new community center with over 50,000 sq ft.

There are a lot of small contract machine shops and OEMs that offer good jobs, a fair amount of retail, two large grocery stores, and in addition to the usual fast food chains, several nicer places to eat including a Japanese restaurant, a Common Man and a couple of hole-in-the-wall takeout places offering Greek and BBQ. There is a market on the green every Thursday when the weather is nice.

If you want semi-serious shopping or chi-chi groceries, you have to drive to West Lebanon, and if you want SERIOUS shopping then you would have to drive to Concord or Mass anyway.

I don't think Claremont can compete with Lebanon when it come to the benefits of being near a major university, and certainly there are parts of Claremont I wouldn't want to live in. But I think Claremont is underrated in some respects and is actually better than its reputation.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Do you want rural living in wooded areas with homes far apart of city living with sidewalks?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Lebanon, Plainfield, Cornish are all very nice, but Claremont not so much. The area is called the Upper Valley and is home to Dartmouth and a great medical center, DHMC. Hanover is a college town and very pricey. I've always like Lebanon the best.
Thanks Jenny, I appreciate your take on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Claremont has always been a little "gritty" but unlike a lot of towns that lost their economic base when the big machine shops left, is working hard to make a comeback. Claremont is in the process of building a new community center with over 50,000 sq ft.

There are a lot of small contract machine shops and OEMs that offer good jobs, a fair amount of retail, two large grocery stores, and in addition to the usual fast food chains, several nicer places to eat including a Japanese restaurant, a Common Man and a couple of hole-in-the-wall takeout places offering Greek and BBQ. There is a market on the green every Thursday when the weather is nice.

If you want semi-serious shopping or chi-chi groceries, you have to drive to West Lebanon, and if you want SERIOUS shopping then you would have to drive to Concord or Mass anyway.

I don't think Claremont can compete with Lebanon when it come to the benefits of being near a major university, and certainly there are parts of Claremont I wouldn't want to live in. But I think Claremont is underrated in some respects and is actually better than its reputation.
FrugalYankee thanks for that information-that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm trying to find out/ wanting to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Do you want rural living in wooded areas with homes far apart of city living with sidewalks?
unit731 we're looking more rural than not. Ideally we find a place w/some space between us and any neighbors. Not interested in sidewalks/suburbs etc. Pretty much we want privacy and space to keep some chickens, bees and guns

Old 05-20-2012, 06:03 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,816,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyerica View Post
unit731 we're looking more rural than not. Ideally we find a place w/some space between us and any neighbors. Not interested in sidewalks/suburbs etc. Pretty much we want privacy and space to keep some chickens, bees and guns
In that case Cornish comes to mind. Lots of land and you're inbetween Claremont and Lebanon so you don't have to choose.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:43 AM

530 posts, read 654,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
In that case Cornish comes to mind. Lots of land and you're inbetween Claremont and Lebanon so you don't have to choose.
Yep, Cornish and Plainfield both are beautiful, rural areas with easy access to Upper Valley amenities.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:01 PM

All of the towns mentioned can be quite nice.
A lot depends on property taxes. Closeness to any highways. If any children are planned or unplanned then schools and distance to such should be considered.

Some towns have more rules and regulations. Building codes, animal control, licensing fees, sign ordinances, etc. There can be laws or rules for the use of firearms for target practice. Best to join a local gun club that has a shooting range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire