U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,292 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to move from Southern California to New England for my job. I will be owrking in North Andover. Both my wife and I from Mass so we know what we are getting into. We don't have kids but want to start soon. Also, my wife is a teacher, but I make the income.

We would like to go to a town with an actual little downtown. Some shops a few places to eat, that sort of thing. Something akin to Brunswick Maine. We have lived for the last 20 years with people around us constantly so are looking for a little distance between houses (1/2 acre or better) but not out in the middle of nowhere). Good schools, etc.

Also, niether of us have ever had tanked gas, well water, or a septic system. It seems that 90 persent of the house include these three.

Areas we are looking in include:
Atkinson
Pelham
Derry
Hampstead
Windham
Merrimack
Bedford
Amherst
Hudson
Exeter
Rye

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 09:16 AM

369 posts, read 549,246 times
Boxford and Georgetown would suit you much better, especially if your wife plans on working. Teachers earn much more in Massachusetts. Besides think of all the money you'd save in gas with a shorter commute. Rt 93 sucks big time during rush hour.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 PM

1,771 posts, read 3,042,255 times
I'd add Hollis.

Friend of ours lives in Atkinson and is very happy there...stay to that side of the river for the shortest commute; but it wouldn't be "bad" from most of those towns.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 PM

I'm curious why you'd want to live in NH and work in MA. It simply combines the worst of the two states. You'll have the high real estate taxes of NH and the income tax of Ma.

Not to mention the commute down 93 - adding Hollis takes to down 3 or down 122 on the side roads of Pepperell / Dunstable. which is worse IMHO.

Makes no sense to me.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 AM

Having lived with people right on top of me for 20 years I would rather be in a less populated area that is not an hour from my work. I was looking at Haverhill but there is a drug and gang problem. I don't know enough about Merrimac Mass. Salem NH seems pretty close to work as does Atkinson.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 AM

You're looking al at least a 1.5 hr commute during rush hours. Toss in a fender bender or snow and all bets are off.

I get sent over there often enough to be glad I don't have to drive there all the time.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:55 AM

450 posts, read 524,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
I'm curious why you'd want to live in NH and work in MA. It simply combines the worst of the two states. You'll have the high real estate taxes of NH and the income tax of Ma.
Makes no sense to me.
If my house in Nashua were picked up and moved over the border to MA, the market value would be about $100,000 more. So that extra ~$1000/yr in NH property tax and ~$2000 in MA income tax affords me the ability to have an attached 2-car garage, a yard, a solid efficient house, and more space. I commute 25 easy miles each way. I've seriously considered moving closer to work in MA, but we'd have to seriously downgrade house quality or combine households.

I have relatives purchasing a home in Tewksbury, MA and the market values over the border make no sense to me.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 AM

4,070 posts, read 7,932,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6440 View Post
Having lived with people right on top of me for 20 years I would rather be in a less populated area that is not an hour from my work. I was looking at Haverhill but there is a drug and gang problem. I don't know enough about Merrimac Mass. Salem NH seems pretty close to work as does Atkinson.
Merrimac MA is a nice town, sandwiched between Haverhill and Amesbury. Haverhill's inner core does have a fair amount of drugs, but once you're away from these particular neighborhoods, you'll find a nice medium-size city. I would recommend it to a childless family, or someone who is downsizing, but Haverhill's schools have been cut to bare-bones. Lots of locally owned restaurants, shops in the historic downtown area makes it a nice place to visit for dinner, maybe see a blues band.

Since you're specifically looking for a downtown, take a closer look at Amesbury and Newburyport. NBPT is decidedly more upscale and artsy than Amesbury, with the price tag on homes to match. There are festivals nearly monthly both at the waterfront area, downtown, and even in Maudslay State Park along the banks of the Merrimack River.

FYI, your commute to N. Andover wouldn't be anywhere close to 1.5 hours from ANY of the towns that you mentioned in your first post to this thread. If you were driving to Woburn, Boston area, then yes. North Andover? Nope..

Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 AM

My work location was originally supposed to be at our Billerica facility, but now it makes more sense if I am located in our North Andover facility. As such, most of the previous locations are out. We are now looking in Atkinson, Salem, Plaistow, Hampsted, and Derry. I mapped the drive to Derry and google says it should be about 20 minutes. I am only on the 495 for about 2 exits. Is traffic on the 121/125 that heavy?

We are also looking in Amesbury and Newbury.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM

4,070 posts, read 7,932,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6440 View Post
I mapped the drive to Derry and google says it should be about 20 minutes. I am only on the 495 for about 2 exits. Is traffic on the 121/125 that heavy?

We are also looking in Amesbury and Newbury.
Derry property taxes are obscene, but everyone I know who lives in Derry loves it, loves the schools and most of all, sending their high schoolers to Pinkerton Academy (though 3 other towns also tuition their HS students to Pinkerton--Hamstead, Chester & as of 2013, Auburn).

Your question about 121/125--Rte 121 is a rural & winding road, lots of little hills and dips. Beautiful to drive along with meandering stone walls, beautiful 1800s/1900s properties. Well-maintained even in winter, being a state road. [You'll eventually lose the habit of referring to local numbered roads as "The ____" and simply call it by it's number, as in "Take 121 south, then hop on 111 west till you get to 125. Take a left at the lights and watch for Goody Coles on your left." (there, I've just given you directions to the best BBQ joint in NH, in many of our opinions]

Amesbury is a good fit, IMO better than most of the towns you're considering in NH. While Newbury is lacks the downtown that you originally requested, some areas of Newbury are easier to get to downtown Newburyport than properties IN Newburyport. Schools will require on-board parents, Newbury is part of the Triton district (Newbury, Salisbury & Rowley) and middle/HS students are bused to Byfield. Just another consideration for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire