U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 PM

15,317 posts, read 21,153,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander 76 View Post
All these accolades given to the state, fail to mention the general lack of good jobs, the high underemployment rate. The main reason the unemployment rate is 5% is because it does not count people who are barely making it but make enough that they are unable to collect unemployment. I don't see how it's a great state for people if cost of living is nearly has high as Eastern Massachusetts, but there are no decent jobs for young college grads. People are leaving the state in droves to find work elsewhere. Yeah it's might be a great for families with older children, and semi-retired people.It's best to have a career elsewhere then move back to retire. I wanted to move back to the state, i lived in NH during my early teen years, but in the long run it did not make economical sense.
Like many states that are more rural in character, NH generally does well in the more traditional career fields like medicine, law, finance, education, engineering, manufacturing, etc. For those that have very specialized degrees it will have fewer options in terms of employers if one doesn't have the means to be self-employed. I am actually looking at taking a good position out of state and I have a Geographic Information Systems background. I've worked many jobs in other arenas, but would prefer to enhance my skillset in what I specialize in.

In terms of new job growth, NH certainly has fared better than some other states during the past decade, but has never had a booming job market or fast overall growth. I wouldn't consider a 2-3% growth in new employment between 2000-2009 to be stellar, even given the demographic structuring of the state.

The biggest issue that NH has going forward is the rising cost of living due to property tax increases on homeowners and business owners and rent increases on rentals. This impacts the ability of businesses to attract a larger pool of talent that doesn't already come in from very expensive locales.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 PM

2,141 posts, read 2,916,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander 76 View Post
I don't see how it's a great state for people if cost of living is nearly has high as Eastern Massachusetts, but there are no decent jobs for young college grads. People are leaving the state in droves to find work elsewhere.
Ridiculous. I grew up in Boston, lived in the suburbs for many years and moved to NH 17 years ago. Just about everything is more expensive in MA: housing, car insurance, income taxes, sales taxes...

Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,978,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
*Correction*
NH is no longer the fastest growing state in New England based on the current Census Bureau population change data in percentage terms. NH grew 0.1% between 2010-2011 while MA grew 0.6% during the same time period. MA is now the fastest growing state in New England.

New Hampshire QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Massachusetts QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Other states change in population in percentage terms for the same time period:
Connecticut: 0.2%
Vermont: 0.1%
Maine: 0.0%
Rhode Island -0.1%
Great.....Mass population is growing faster than NH in one year of the last 40 or so.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 PM

17 posts, read 16,037 times
Actually it isn't the highest. it is one of the highest but not the highest. Conn still has the highest per capital income.

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Ya left out the fact that it has the highest per capita income in the country.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Ridiculous. I grew up in Boston, lived in the suburbs for many years and moved to NH 17 years ago. Just about everything is more expensive in MA: housing, car insurance, income taxes, sales taxes...

Compared to Western Mass it is high like Boston. Actually it's pretty close to Mass cost of living

Cost of Living in New Hampshire
Cost of Living in Massachusetts
Cost of Living in Boston-Cambridge-Quincy Metro Area, Massachusetts

Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 AM

Actually young people are leaving NH and most of New England. Boston is the only place in NE that has a net growth of young people. The rest of the state is losing population. NH has an aging demographic which is fast making a retirement state for wealthy Bostonians.

New England Issues Sales Pitch for Young Graduates - WSJ.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
First: the cost of living is in NH is not any where near as high as eastern Massachusetts. Second: you make the classic mistake of taking your personal situation & try and make universal statements about NH. Third: people are not leaving NH in droves. NH is still the fastest growing state on the upper east coast like it has been for over 40 years. And on a final note: It does not make a lot of sense to compare Mass & NH. NH is a small, semi-rural state. In general you can make more money in Mass, but as difficult as it may be for you to believe......for a lot of people money is not the end all or be all in their existence. Some folks go for "quality of life" first. And that may mean they will live in a place like NH & side-step the rat race

Last edited by New Englander 76; 08-03-2012 at 12:29 AM..

Old 08-03-2012, 06:09 AM

15,317 posts, read 21,153,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Great.....Mass population is growing faster than NH in one year of the last 40 or so.
Well, it's a complete reversal compared to the prior decade given the fact that NH population growth was double that of MA. We'll see how the next several years play out and if it ends up being a developing trend.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 AM

369 posts, read 534,988 times
As far as the under-employment goes; Yeah it can be tough to earn enough to afford decent housing in the urban areas and the Seacoast / Merrimack area but once you get out in the hills of the west and up north the cost of living drops off quickly.

One needs to be flexible to live in the "real" New Hampshire. This can mean working two part time jobs, living in a smaller home or even in a mobile home and being 45 minutes from the closest supermarket but the payoff is a quiet, peacfull neighborhood, low crime, lower taxes and much less stress in your life.

Living on a lower income in NH is very do-able.
Learn to adapt, live within (or better yet under) your means and you'll be just fine.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:11 AM

4,551 posts, read 6,306,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
As far as the under-employment goes; Yeah it can be tough to earn enough to afford decent housing in the urban areas and the Seacoast / Merrimack area but once you get out in the hills of the west and up north the cost of living drops off quickly.

One needs to be flexible to live in the "real" New Hampshire. This can mean working two part time jobs, living in a smaller home or even in a mobile home and being 45 minutes from the closest supermarket but the payoff is a quiet, peacfull neighborhood, low crime, lower taxes and much less stress in your life.

Living on a lower income in NH is very do-able.
Learn to adapt, live within (or better yet under) your means and you'll be just fine.

Im underemployed and love it! I gave pony rides last summee ans what hard work but how fun. Inow work in a GAP vest syore.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,978,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, it's a complete reversal compared to the prior decade given the fact that NH population growth was double that of MA. We'll see how the next several years play out and if it ends up being a developing trend.
I doubt it will be a trend, but we shall see. Most of the Mass population growth is from overseas immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire