Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,947,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMorn View Post
Immigration is conspicuously altering Manchester and Nashua for the worse, like the rest of the country, like most of Europe.
I agree. This country should never have been built on immigration! Much like the first British destroyed Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 AM

62 posts, read 141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMorn View Post
Immigration is conspicuously altering Manchester and Nashua for the worse, like the rest of the country, like most of Europe.
Hmm... where to start.... First of Europe is not a country and a very diverse, so saying "like most of Europe" is just useless talk. It would be kind of like saying North America... I bet that most reads would agree that there's quite a difference between northern part of Canada and Southern Mexico in terms of culture, immigration, etc. etc.

Immigration is not bad and as already pointed out, this country was built by immigrants (or at least altered...). As to what I think about your comment...

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,561,453 times
Most of these curmudgeons are pining for a past that never was in a place that never existed. You can safely ignore most of them.

Come on up and look around. There is a lot to see and do in our little state. Check out the rest of the “moving to NH” threads for a lot more information. OH, buy a Delorme Road Atlas for great maps and lots of tourist information.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 AM

686 posts, read 1,760,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most of these curmudgeons are pining for a past that never was in a place that never existed. You can safely ignore most of them.

Come on up and look around. There is a lot to see and do in our little state. Check out the rest of the “moving to NH” threads for a lot more information. OH, buy a Delorme Road Atlas for great maps and lots of tourist information.
+100 and +100 on both counts.

If you plan on driving around NH, no matter how fancy a smartphone you have, you should carry either a decently-responsive GPS or a paper road atlas, because cell coverage is poor/none in quite a few parts of NH (and that is fine with me). A $20 DeLorme Atlas turned out to be a pretty good investment when my wife and I drove around NH.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 PM

73 posts, read 118,399 times
Quote:
Seriously. It's really weird, and not representative of the NH I've lived in my whole life.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,947,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I agree. This country should never have been built on immigration! Much like the first British destroyed Australia
I hope people realize I was reacting with sarcasm with my response above.
This is a nation of immigrants, people who say immigration destroyed it forget their family immigrated here at some point.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I hope people realize I was reacting with sarcasm with my response above.
This is a nation of immigrants, people who say immigration destroyed it forget their family immigrated here at some point.
That was pretty clear! And agree x1000!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Excellent GregW!!! Completely agree on both count. It still amazes me to read all those negative comments about NH, especially about cities, people moving here (either from other countries, or other states), etc. If you've ever been to other states and other cities, you understand exactly what I mean... this is a pretty darn nice place to live!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 9,408 times
Sorry the late response to the OP's question. I moved to NH for work. I had wanted to leave NYC, yearning for a bit more space and a bit less population density. So between two jobs (and two locations), I chose NH after visiting. Keeping in mind that I reside in Portsmouth, which is different from most of NH, this was exactly what I was looking for in terms of accessibility to outdoors with a large-enough town/city feel, and activities.

Hardest part of moving up here early on has been befriending new folk. As one of my neighbors calls it, New Englanders can be 'crusty'. Once you break that crust though, I think you will find good people with an appreciation for letting others live as they see fit (as long as it doesn't bugger others).

The other hardest part - persuading me to drive back to NYC (once I hit the I-91 in CT, the NYC road rage starts)

Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 PM

147 posts, read 212,892 times
Hello, hello . All responses here are duly noted. The difference in opinions give me insight to the many ways people think, and I realize, anywhere you go, people will be different.

2 weeks from now we will be driving up to NH (excited!!). The plan so far:

- since we will we dependent on job availability and rentals in the beginning, we will spend some time in the SE corner of the state. See the bigger cities (Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth) and also the quieter towns in between. It's a pretty vague plan at the moment, we plan to sit down and talk about specifics. We cannot cover SE NH in 5 days.

- stop by Bob's Clam Hut for lunch; we get to see a little bit of Maine as a bonus.

GregW and SMUR - We have a decent GPS, I think, and no smart phones. We will definitely get a map before we go.

baysideben - thanks for the response. What really attacts us to NH is the low density pop, space, the outdoors/nature, four seasons, non-big city life. We understand that it won't be easy and it will take time (years) to adjust. I have a bit of experience in this, moving to the US from SE Asia almost 10 years ago. The culture shock-language, pace of life, and apparent difference in beliefs and values- was too real. Plus, I was in my early 20s and left all my friends behind, it was a big deal at the time.

Anyway, since I mentioned that I am from SE Asia, I would also say that my husband is of eastern European background who has been in the country since he was very little. I didn't think that race would be an issue moving to NH, based on what I read in the forum so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire