U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 AM

425 posts, read 658,556 times

Advertisements

well here is my story,my family has had a place in hampton for 4 generations, it is a big family affair,,,
I am sorta looking for the american dream ,does it exsist anymore?
I am looking for an eldery couple or person that loves the beach as much as I do and that when there time comes that they would be willing to sell us a small place, 2 bed, 2 bath within walking distance to the beach, for a nominal amount,I am not asking for a hand-out, my husband and I have worked very hard all our lives,have taken care of sick family members,both have had our shares of ups and downs.Sometimes it doesnt pay to be nice, to do your part because you get kicked in the butt at the end

I want a piece of paradise,I grew up every summer going to the beach for a week or two and they were very happy times.But just looking at the prices is just staggering
neither my husband or I will be falling into any inheritence from either side of the family, the rest of the family has sucked it up..
I want to be able to walk the beach every day in the summer,I want to be able to walk my dog and smell the ocean air, feel the sand between my feet..I guess I have my head in the clouds but it is just a wish of mine.
If anyone knows of a place that I can find my piece of paradise please let me know~~ and thanks for listening
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 AM

33,807 posts, read 29,265,714 times
Most places like that rent for two weeks at a time. Most families are like yours. The more you give the more they take until they have it all and you have none. BTDT

Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,286,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmallie View Post
well here is my story,my family has had a place in hampton for 4 generations, it is a big family affair,,,
I am sorta looking for the american dream ,does it exsist anymore?
I am looking for an eldery couple or person that loves the beach as much as I do and that when there time comes that they would be willing to sell us a small place, 2 bed, 2 bath within walking distance to the beach, for a nominal amount,I am not asking for a hand-out, my husband and I have worked very hard all our lives,have taken care of sick family members,both have had our shares of ups and downs.Sometimes it doesnt pay to be nice, to do your part because you get kicked in the butt at the end
I want a piece of paradise,I grew up every summer going to the beach for a week or two and they were very happy times.But just looking at the prices is just staggering
neither my husband or I will be falling into any inheritence from either side of the family, the rest of the family has sucked it up..
I want to be able to walk the beach every day in the summer,I want to be able to walk my dog and smell the ocean air, feel the sand between my feet..I guess I have my head in the clouds but it is just a wish of mine.
If anyone knows of a place that I can find my piece of paradise please let me know~~ and thanks for listening
I don't know of anyplace in CT that is affordable down by the shore for most folks. My husband and I talk about living by the shore in our Senior years but it is just talk right now. We go down there off season because I am not nutz about fighting the summer crowds on the beaches. I was there on Mother's Day and didn't want to leave that is for sure. We have talked about living in Rhode Island at the beach maybe Westerly or Watch Hill area and then...that is some super serious cash.
Right now, we have a lovely home in the suburbs with an inground pool, great neighbors and we are close to all shopping and medical needs we have. Our neighbor behind us is 93 years old, the one across from her in his 80's, the one across the street 87..all quiet, all friendly..sigh..I do like it here a lot but the shore is calling us as well.
Good Luck with your search and perhaps you can find a small cottage that could house you and your husband comfortably year round and not put you in the poor house financially!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,307,649 times
small cottage on a few feet of land = 1/2 million in an isolated location - more than a million in CT. Save your pennies....

for every elderly couple, there are usually children, and grandchildren to pass the property on to

they sometimes keep it, but find property taxes unaffordable, and will sell it for millions to split amongst family members

so, yes it's fantasy.....

if you want to be more realistic, buy a year round home a mile from the beach area - the price will still be high, but possibly more affordable

Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 AM

450 posts, read 521,679 times
While owning a home on the coast is a nice dream, I imagine it could turn into a nightmare when a hurricane/tropical storm passes through. The beach is also very dreary, depressing, during days-long rain storms. Summer traffic is a nuisance, loud parties, loud cars, etc. I'd rather rent a place for a week or two and let someone else worry about it the rest of the year.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM

33,807 posts, read 29,265,714 times
Sea shore development is our first defense against the tsunami. Destroying all that property takes much of the energy out of the wave. That is a good thing for all of us that do not live there.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM

369 posts, read 546,993 times
You'll be surprised at how many "friends" you have once you have waterfront property.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Default thanks for the feedback:}

I know I know, it is a pipe dream isnt it?
i really cant complain just day-dreaming I guess, we do own a home in a 55 park in southwest florida, but I am looking down the line at selling the home we live here in Ct. and finding something to summer in ,on the n.h. shorline, or near the lakes in N.H. or N.Y. ,even a 55 park would be nice, but would love to be near the water.. I could dream about a place on the cape too
thanks for coming along for the ride

Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Default thank you all

I see I am dreaming!!! Oh Well it's always nice to do we do own a nice home that is just the right size, even when we retire,it is all one floor except for the basement and that is where the washer and dryer are, but for now it works just fine... I will not be able to retire for at least another13-18 yrs so ,hopefully with some careful planning we can find something and sell this home. Ct taxes and prices are killing us..

Old 10-12-2012, 08:10 AM

4,325 posts, read 4,401,046 times
You want an elderly stranger to sell you waterfront property for a nominal amount?

Um, me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire