Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 PM

111 posts, read 243,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman1 View Post
my family just had a wonderful vacation in conway new hampshire and are considering moving there in 2014,also on our list is ruidoso new mexico but our research on that is complete. we have 2 kids ages of 8 and 6 and i am retired and in my late 40's (actually i will be 49 in 2014). can anyone advise how it is there in terms of quality of life?
You will find some of the friendliest people in New Mexico. The down side is - it's semi arid and you'll need to bring plenty of money with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM

396 posts, read 603,786 times
From ny, live in Maine, but I,m in nh at least 10 times a month. I love it and would say, welcome home. I would look at some of vt, but if you move to Conway, all the bst is within, what, 2 hours?

By the best, I mean, mountains, coast,villages, bigger cities.

I think youll be real happy in conway.

I travel the east coast a fair amount, and while Conway is very nice, I'm not sure it would be my first choice.

You will be very happy there, but man there are some great places in vt, blue ridge mountain area, nc, he'll Maine has some amzing places to live.

Enjoy,

Skip

Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 AM

30 posts, read 42,637 times
thanks for the tips-they are greatly appreciated. i have spent the last 8 years studying where to go and it is a very difficult decision. so many options and places. my gut feeling is conway however. plus i have had a burning desire since child hood to move out of nyc. i have never been happy in a crowded enviroment. i need space and breathing room.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 AM

Well, should you, decide to move to the Conway area, I'm sure you will be glad you did. It and the surrounding areas are wonderful.

Skip

Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM

497 posts, read 952,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman1 View Post
thanks for the tips-they are greatly appreciated. i have spent the last 8 years studying where to go and it is a very difficult decision. so many options and places. my gut feeling is conway however. plus i have had a burning desire since child hood to move out of nyc. i have never been happy in a crowded enviroment. i need space and breathing room.
Been there, felt that.
We lived just over the GWB in Jersey for 44 years. We grew more and more tired of the crowded conjested house upon house area. It took us 6 years to narrow down an area[cause we liked them all] and then 9 months to find the perfect house. Bought in Dec. of '08, and never looked back. Only thing I ever miss is REAL NJ/NYC pizza. [and taylor ham]

If and when you need a realtor for the Conway area, IM me. I can recommend a fantastic one!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM

Well a pretty good (thick Crust) pizza can be had in Conway at Elvio's Pizza. Great no, but pretty damn good for Northern New England Pizza. I'm a thick crust guy (yeah, some of us made it out of NY liking thick crust).

I eat pizza WAY to much, and in all my travels up and down the East Coast, there is a place in Maine with a THICK crust pizza that is simply the best I have ever had … hands down the BEST! Micucci Italian Market in Downtown Portland Maine.

EVERY day, folks stand in line to get a pieces (some 10 minutes, some folks 30 minutes). It's 1" - 1.5" thick, BIG, Saucy, and 1 slice is all you can get in a 10" pizza box. I'm telling you, It is worth the drive from Conway, just for this pizza. But while your in-town spend a morning, afternoon, day on the water front of Portland. It is well worth the trip!

Now as for thin crust, one of my favorites in Portland is from Angelo's.

Taylor ham escapes me, what's that like? I love both sweet and hot capicola ham.

So what part of Conway did you end up in? I'm in Conway no less then 5-8 times a month (just cuz). I make my stops at The Penguin Shop, The Cupcakery, and of Course Zeps. Although I do like the Candy Store in Littleton a bunch more.

For lunch it's either Hooligans or Maestro's Italian Cuisine. And yes there are many more nice places to eat, but these are 2 of my favorites.

Skip

Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Well a pretty good (thick Crust) pizza can be had in Conway at Elvio's Pizza. Great no, but pretty damn good for Northern New England Pizza. I'm a thick crust guy (yeah, some of us made it out of NY liking thick crust).

I eat pizza WAY to much, and in all my travels up and down the East Coast, there is a place in Maine with a THICK crust pizza that is simply the best I have ever had … hands down the BEST! Micucci Italian Market in Downtown Portland Maine.

EVERY day, folks stand in line to get a pieces (some 10 minutes, some folks 30 minutes). It's 1" - 1.5" thick, BIG, Saucy, and 1 slice is all you can get in a 10" pizza box. I'm telling you, It is worth the drive from Conway, just for this pizza. But while your in-town spend a morning, afternoon, day on the water front of Portland. It is well worth the trip!

Taylor ham escapes me, what's that like? I love both sweet and hot capicola ham.

So what part of Conway did you end up in? I'm in Conway no less then 5-8 times a month (just cuz). I make my stops at The Penguin Shop, The Cupcakery, and of Course Zeps. Although I do like the Candy Store in Littleton a bunch more.

For lunch it's either Hooligans or Maestro's Italian Cuisine. And yes there are many more nice places to eat, but these are 2 of my favorites.

Skip
What the heck do you do? and it's Zeb's not Zep's. All these oplaces you attend to sell food one way or another except the Penguin Shop.

If you went there over years of time you know a gal who no longer works there, but I know... a Kathy M.

It seems like you are hinting at meeting locals too. if so i am game... I am male married and 60. Somewhat rough around the edges like lots of old locals are here.

You can buy me a crumpet and i will buy the coffee..... LOL

I see the internet more like a very big library....

Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 PM

497 posts, read 952,752 times

Yea, it's good, but not NY

Taylor ham or taylor pork roll is a mid-east state thing.....

Pork roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a word....awesome...Purely healthy in every sense....

I'm in Madison, just south of Conway

Skip

Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,323,302 times
NewNHguy. If you are ever in the Lakes region, Heath's supermarket in Center Harbor carries Taylor Pork Roll.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM

My company: designs by skip is a promotional products company. We sell to many companies across America and in Conway we sell to Mount Washington and a few smaller car repair shops.

my web site: designsbyskip.com gives a pretty good idea as to what we do, sell and offer.

I also go to the Conway area a lot to relax and take photo's. Some I've taken in the area can be seen here:

- Flickr: vonstringcaldinkal's Photostream

and here

- Flickr: slalemand01's Photostream - many of the ones on this site are from the conway area (within a 30 mile radius)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire