Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:05 AM

693 posts, read 1,132,437 times

Advertisements

Okay, Okay, I get it ... Londonderry schools are very good, possible the flagship of Southern New Hampshire, but its a story of extremes. The only two comments I seem to see is New Hampshire schools are terrible and Londonderry schools are amazing. I am including Londonderry for my home searches but thats a limited field, are there any other schools in Southern New Hampshire that are acheiving stellar results en masse?

- Delvek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 05:17 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,000,728 times
An education is what the child and parent make it. Be involved, take honors classes, etc.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 AM

The question was regarding school systems, town v. town. Not how to raise a child.

I am compiling a list of schools that are known to be quality schools with excellent recources so that I can be sure my child doesnt attend. This tactic coupled with parental uninvolvement and poor nutrition will prepare my unfortunate leech for the same crappy life they bestowed unto me. You get?

Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 AM

299 posts, read 254,582 times
I live in Londonderry and am thrilled with the school system. I'm guessing that Windham, Pelham, Bedford, Amherst and Merrimack would also have good systems.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Thanks, will help me expand my home search in towns that will have schools with proven track records and resources that provide many options.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,987,490 times
Excuse me? You forgot... Hollis!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,000,728 times
Okay, no need to get snarky. Sure, the rich towns like Amherst and Hollis have a great rep. The cities like Manchester and Nashua get a bad rap. But that doesn't mean all their schools/teachers are bad. I live in Nashua. Some elementary schools are great, some not so much. Do the high schools have issues? Sure. But the kids who apply themselves academically go on to excellent colleges/careers. I'm sending my kids to private school. I live in a great neighborhood served by one of the best elementary schools in the city. But my hubby and I have decided to go the Catholic school route. If we couldn't afford private, I would have no issues about sending my boys to the Nashua public schools.

IMO, there is more to picking a city to live in than just the school system. Yes, it's a factor, but there is so much more to a community.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,897,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Okay, Okay, I get it ... Londonderry schools are very good, possible the flagship of Southern New Hampshire, but its a story of extremes. The only two comments I seem to see is New Hampshire schools are terrible and Londonderry schools are amazing. I am including Londonderry for my home searches but thats a limited field, are there any other schools in Southern New Hampshire that are acheiving stellar results en masse?

- Delvek

I'm in Londonderry, and 2 of my 3 kids have been educated here. The schools are the main reason I chose this town. Is it the BEST? The flagship of NH? That's doubtful--we've been deemed a district in need of improvement more than once in the last couple of years. We've become a magnet district for many with special needs BECAUSE of the strong schools. Well guess what... if you concentrate on providing the best services possible for special needs, something else needs to slip. Would I chose Londonderry again? Maybe... probably... the music program IS amazing, one of the best in the state. It's a nice community, and we enjoy living here. A very high percentage of LHS graduates do go on to 4-year university, some to the ivies, but you'd likely have to look in a higher income per capita to get a higher percentage that continues on to Harvard, etc.

Other towns/schools systems I'd consider: Hollis (Hollis-Brookline HS), Bedford, Windham, Amherst (Souhegan HS), Hampstead (and also Chester/Auburn) Pinkerton HS. Away from Rte 93, SAU 16 (the Exeter district) and Lee/Durham/Madbury (Oyster River). OR and Sau 16 towns are closer to the seacoast, but all the towns (except Exeter) are pretty rural in nature (no pun intended )

Are you looking for performance of ALL grades, or are you mainly concerned with HS results?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:56 PM

22 posts, read 81,481 times
Default Portsmouth?

Is there a reason Portsmouth High is not mentioned? It seems that the ratings have been high as well as parental satisfaction. Also community schools such as Rye have high ratings.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,105,070 times
Chester and Auburn don't have a high school. They send their kids to Manchester or Derry. The most recent ruling is all of Auburn goes to Derry's Pinkerton Academy now. They used to go to Manchester Memorial (east side). Candia doesn't have a HS either and their students go to Manchester Central.

Alverne HS, Hudson and High Mowing School, Wilton rec. good reports.

Timberlane in Plaistow has some outstanding sports teams.

NH football is currently undergoing some divisional changes. There will be 3 divisions based on enrollment. Each of the three divisions will also be split into four conferences. Division I will have an East, West, North (where Concord will play) and South conference, Division II will have a North, South (John Stark), West (Kearsarge) and Central (Pembroke and Merrimack Valley) conference, and Division III will have a South (Bow), Lakes (Winnisquam, Franklin), West (Bishop Brady) and East conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire