U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 2,491 times
Default Food: prices, quality, availability

Is it easy to come by quality food?

Prices: are the prices outrageous? what can you expect to pay for chicken breasts, apples, milk, eggs, cheese, coffee, etc?

Quality: can you get access to fresh, local, (real) food fairly easily? Farmers markets, or do you go to the farmer themselves? Do lots of people participate in CSAs and are they affordable for what you get?

Availaibility: Here in the South we have an extremely long growing season; I'm guessing it's quite short in NE. Is produce available after August? What kinds? Does it go waaaaay up in price? Do people grow their own, or is it worth the effort?

Context:
I'm a foodie and love to cook, as does the hubs.
Also recently started to switch over to more organic, local type foods.
I am gluten intolerant and would benefit from a bit more variety of foods that I can eat.
We are quite content to grow our own food if we have to, but I would love to be able to go to a farmers market and actually buy more than zucchini and tomatoes (that's about all we have at ours here, and a few bell peppers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 AM

441 posts, read 466,102 times
The answers to your questions will vary depending on where in the state you go and your questions are also subjective (ie: quality, outrageous prices). The simple rules of thumb: the more populated the area= the more food choices you'll have. The more $$ you spend the higher the quality of food.

I live in southern NH and can pretty much find everything on your list quite easily. Within a 20minute drive.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 AM

68 posts, read 45,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsducky625 View Post
Is it easy to come by quality food?

Prices: are the prices outrageous? what can you expect to pay for chicken breasts, apples, milk, eggs, cheese, coffee, etc?

Quality: can you get access to fresh, local, (real) food fairly easily? Farmers markets, or do you go to the farmer themselves? Do lots of people participate in CSAs and are they affordable for what you get?

Availaibility: Here in the South we have an extremely long growing season; I'm guessing it's quite short in NE. Is produce available after August? What kinds? Does it go waaaaay up in price? Do people grow their own, or is it worth the effort?

Context:
I'm a foodie and love to cook, as does the hubs.
Also recently started to switch over to more organic, local type foods.
I am gluten intolerant and would benefit from a bit more variety of foods that I can eat.
We are quite content to grow our own food if we have to, but I would love to be able to go to a farmers market and actually buy more than zucchini and tomatoes (that's about all we have at ours here, and a few bell peppers).
I spent all my life in New England (Ma), until recently ,we now live in NC. We are finding the produce here is terrible compared to up north,groceries are no cheaper here,and the grocery stores are terrible,what I wouldn`t give for a Stop&Shop or Big Y,or to be back up north!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 2,491 times
Ok, more context/comparison:

On sale (but the sale prices are frequent) here in MS:
1 dozen eggs, 1.50 or can even get for $1
gallon milk, $3
store-brand cheese can get for $2/8oz block
12 oz starbucks coffee, $10ish
whole fryer chickens you can often get for $1/#

These are all store-brand prices.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,027,646 times
1 dozen eggs - $2 at the farmer's market or $1.69 - $2 at grocery store
gallon milk - $2.39 1%
pound coffee $7.99

whole rotisserie cooked chicken - $3.99
lobster - $3.95 lb

Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,553,420 times
This sure has been a great summer if you like to eat lobster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire