U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:29 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,773,717 times

Advertisements

I use craigslist and AutoTrader when I look for used cars. Some of the craigslist ads are also on Autotrader, but not all Autotrader ads are on craigslist - most aren't. One of the really good things about Autotrader is that occasionally they will have a free Carfax report on the car they are selling. Most of the listings are from dealers though.

I don't know if this link will work, but I plugged in some info into Autotrader on a Toyota RAV4 since you mentioned them, with years of 1998 through 2007 and a radius from Manchester of 50 miles. You can see the "Show Me The Carfax" to the right of each ad: Find Your Car: Used Toyota RAV4 Listings Near Manchester, NH 03101 - AutoTrader.com This is a really handy tool, since buying a Carfax report costs $39.99 currently for one report (they also charge $49.99 for 5 reports and $54.99 for unlimited reports). You might want to read this info about how to read a Carfax report: How To Read a CarFax Report

For what it's worth, the three cars that I contacted the "owner" about from craigslist ads were all dealers posting in the "By Owner" section and making it sound like they weren't dealers. Either way, I personally really wouldn't even consider buying a used car without a Carfax check first.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 PM

686 posts, read 1,446,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
But being in a hurry puts the buyer at a disadvantage. But with that some things can be done.
Potential buyer must get a "carfax" or similiear report.
Avoid multiple owner cars.
Avoid all cars in accidents. "Minor" paint work equals an accident.
Take the car to an independent repair place and pay for an inspection.
Diver the car and avoid all cars with strange noises or any car with any vibrations.
On the money.

My wife and I have indeed run Carfax reports on promising cars. We have found that just asking for the VIN upfront (that and then asking if the car has been in major or minor accidents) has been quite helpful in "weeding out the weirdos" (if you will). We have thus far limited our inquiry only to cars with one or two owners.

We have driven a few cars and had to discard most of them for two key reasons: sound and vibration.

All of these gates we are using, combined with the general slowness of sellers' responses (which seems unrelated to do the long weekend) has meant we still don't own a car, but we understand we can't have it both ways.

As of now, we are hopeful about two CR-Vs. We have the VIN for one and the Carfax report shows the car is clean. But we haven't been able to test drive the car because the owner hasn't responded (but has indicated he is available any day). We don't have the VIN for the second one, because the seller put the car on sale and promptly went on a 2-week vacation.

Quote:
Stay away from all European used cars.
Stay away from all used cars made in Korea.
Stay away from all cars made in Mexico.

Stick with Japanese cars and cars made in USA or Canada.
About staying away from cars made in Mexico: What are some of the make/models? I would love to hear the rationale behind this suggestion.

No surprise, Japanese cars rule our candidates list. Some American cars are on the list, but consumer reviews don't seem to be kind to American cars.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I don't know if this link will work, but I plugged in some info into Autotrader on a Toyota RAV4 since you mentioned them, with years of 1998 through 2007 and a radius from Manchester of 50 miles. You can see the "Show Me The Carfax" to the right of each ad: Find Your Car: Used Toyota RAV4 Listings Near Manchester, NH 03101 - AutoTrader.com This is a really handy tool, since buying a Carfax report costs $39.99 currently for one report (they also charge $49.99 for 5 reports and $54.99 for unlimited reports). You might want to read this info about how to read a Carfax report: How To Read a CarFax Report
Thanks for the pointer to Autotrader and for the link to reading Carfax reports.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 AM

5,364 posts, read 5,640,041 times
There is a sticker inside the driver door. That sticker should state where car was manufactured/assembled.

The US/Canada vehicles now have the same quality of the Japanese cars.

Many of the Japanese and European cars are manufactured in the US now. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Hyundai, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche all have manufacturing plants in USA.

Cr*igslist can be a fine asset. But also a pain. Too many dealers are attempting to sell cars as private owners. If seller lies at the listing then what else do they lie about.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Ford or Chevrolet today. Top notch quality today.

I'd still avoid any Chrysler products including the Jeep. The Germans owned Chrysler and screwed it all up. Cerebus (an asset management company) owned Chrysler and screwed it all up. Now Italian Fiat owns Chrysler and time will tell if they can turn the company around and manufacture quality products.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:21 AM

I'd stick with a one owner vehicle.

Former lease/rental.

If you have every rented a car from a major airport you would see cars with all sorts of scratces and such. Who wants a car that has had a potential of 365 different drivers per year (an exageration of course).

Former lease cars.

One story.
I had a friend lease a Toyota for 2 years. He never did any routine maintenance. He never changed the oil. Except a few weeks before he turned this Toyota in at end of two years. He did change the oil as the dip stick was down two quarts and oil was black.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I had a friend lease a Toyota for 2 years. He never did any routine maintenance. He never changed the oil. Except a few weeks before he turned this Toyota in at end of two years. He did change the oil as the dip stick was down two quarts and oil was black.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post

I believe New Hampshire's Lemon Law (RSA 357-D) applies only to new vehicles. I understand from dealers in MA and NH that MA's lemon law covers used cars as well, but I have not researched that.

The Lemon Law in NH is basically a joke. So don't go by that.
Read the law.
Read what is required by the buyer.

Certainly if one buys a new car and the transmission falls on the ground the buyer might be covered. Buyer would still have to prove that this was a manufacturing defect and not caused by actions of buyer. And I think that the transmission would have to fall out 3 times or more before this Lemon Law kicks in.

Who writes the Lemon Laws?
The new car dealership association or lobbyists for such group.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 933 times
Exclamation Windham Auto Sales in Windham, NH are total CROOKS

About 4 months ago I purchased a used Infiniti I30 from Windham Auto sales in windham, NH. The salesman JIM, told me this Infiniti comes with all new brakes "soup to nuts" and "overall a great car". Now less than 3 months later and $1100 lighter in my pockets, I needed new back brakes and rotors, entire new exhaust system. On top of that the CV joint had to be replaced also. When i went back to see if something can be done about some of these issues, they dont want anything to do with you. I was told by my personal mechanic the reason Windham Auto sales puts inspection stickers on their cars is that because more than 80% of their cars wont pass otherwise. On top of my car, my son bought a Honda civic from them and had 1 major problem, the AC Compressor was seized. Also they sold him the Civic with the timing belt problem. Now everyone who has ever had a Civic knows that this is not a cheap job. Timing belt had to be replaced and that totaled a whopping $700. They took my sons 2001 Monte Carlo SS for his trade in when he got that Civic. They gave him a $1000 for that trade in towards the Civic. Said the Monte Carlo was a hunk of junk and their doing me a favor giving me the $1000. Next day on the lot, God as my witness he had it listed for $4800. I should have known better. My advice to you all in the market for a used car STAY CLEAR OF WINDHAM AUTO SALES.

Last edited by bosari; 09-10-2012 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 07:00 AM

491 posts, read 1,154,304 times
I have no knowledge of Windham Auto Sales and I'm not defending them but, here's how *not* to be a victim next time:

1. Don't believe what sales people tell you. If he said the brakes are new, ask for or look for proof. "Soup to nuts" and "great car" are subjective and mean nothing. Do your own research.
2. An independent mechanic could have easily spotted brakes, CV, and exhaust problems 3 months before failure.
3. Test every function of the car before buying it. Turn the AC on even if its February. A non-working AC could have easily been found during a test drive.
4. If buying a car with 80,000 or more miles, the timing belt will need replacement soon if not ASAP. Call a garage and ask how much the job costs and factor that into your buying decision.
5. When trading in a car, find out it's trade-in value on KBB.com before visiting a dealer. At the same time, note the retail value. This is what the dealer could sell your car for.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 AM

19,025 posts, read 22,230,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
I was under the impression that every car is always taxed, but it is good to know that registration is not required if the car isn't driven. (This is the case in other states I have lived in, but didn't think it would also be the case in NH.)

Given this new information, I might consider that car with no registration, but am not sure how I will test drive it and take it to a mechanic if it has no registration.
Not in NH. I have a 4x4 plow truck that never leaves the place and hasn't had tags in years, I have a mint motorcycle that hasn't had tags since 03, and my car will not get registered this Nov either.

Of course I am no city dweller and all but the bike will be out in the field. What i own is none of the states bee's wax, nor should it be.

Don't even THINK like that! And if you insist, get OUT of NH now!

I used to do the very thing you want for hire too.... Test drive cars for people, check out for hidden rust/damage, and do compression tests, over and above every thing done in a state inspection, at regular shop rates.

At the time i had made up a list of ever function and feature that was checked and there wasn't much over looked either. One thing I never knew was who the seller really was though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire