Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM

24 posts, read 120,310 times

Advertisements

I have begun shopping for a second home in NH and have been using this web site for info:
http://www.myzoom.com/spencerhughes/4166237&getRef=tr

I am looking for a small house/cabin in these Lakes Region towns:
Alton
Barnstead
Center Harbor
New Durham
Freedom
Gilford
Laconia
Milton
Meredith
Moultonborough
Ossipee
Tuftonboro
Wakefield
Wolfeboro

Of these towns, which are considered the most prestigious or desirable? Which are the least prestigious or desirable? Any of them in the middle?

Are there any areas/lakes that I should steer clear from? Any lakes/areas that are considered especially desirable? I want to get "the inside scoop" on these towns/areas. Any/all feedback appreciated - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Alton Nice town a bit crowed in summer and you may find water ft property
Barnstead i wouldn't call this town a lakes region town really.. tad horsey though
Center Harbor Smack on the lake a quiet place with good access to other busy places
New Durham another town sort of in the lakes region with smaller lakes inside it's borders. This could be ok, and maybe good if things east entertain you.
Freedom Borders Ossipee lake. Ossipee Lake is a glacial depression that is rising, and so the lake is shallow, and has no trout.
Gilford i don't know enough about Gilford to say anything but I like the antique looking houses there.
Laconia Is a city and kinda rough around the edges. I like it far better than some other NH cities which are closer to Mass.
Milton Is nice but in a dead beat kind of way, but Rochester is a good place to shop but like laconia a city kinda rough around the edges.
Meredith I like this smaller city a lot, and it has good access to the interstate and all sorts of other things.
Moultonborough Has a good public and or private school system last i heard. Not a lot going on there IMO.
Ossipee is nice but has a bad rep, which i don't think it deserves.
Tuftonboro You better have a spare 5 million bucks to build anything in that town,. but it is beautiful .
Wakefield Another basic none entitiy sort of town, it has nothing to say other than they have a pub and it isn't for the poor man either.
Wolfeboro The most stuffy town in the state IMO, and while they have a few things like the academy the place is deader than dead in winter time and so crowed in summer you have no elbow room at all.

You left out Brookfield. it has nothing but it is very scenic.

I live in Tamworth, so you don't think I am picking things for unknown reasons.

I have no idea about what and who you are, so i won't tell you my favorite either, because I might be wrong.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:24 PM

Oh there is Holderness and other towns in the lakes region over on Squam lake you didn't even mention. These lakes also have mountain views.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Alton Nice town a bit crowed in summer and you may find water ft property
Barnstead i wouldn't call this town a lakes region town really.. tad horsey though
Center Harbor Smack on the lake a quiet place with good access to other busy places
New Durham another town sort of in the lakes region with smaller lakes inside it's borders. This could be ok, and maybe good if things east entertain you.
Freedom Borders Ossipee lake. Ossipee Lake is a glacial depression that is rising, and so the lake is shallow, and has no trout.
Gilford i don't know enough about Gilford to say anything but I like the antique looking houses there.
Laconia Is a city and kinda rough around the edges. I like it far better than some other NH cities which are closer to Mass.
Milton Is nice but in a dead beat kind of way, but Rochester is a good place to shop but like laconia a city kinda rough around the edges.
Meredith I like this smaller city a lot, and it has good access to the interstate and all sorts of other things.
Moultonborough Has a good public and or private school system last i heard. Not a lot going on there IMO.
Ossipee is nice but has a bad rep, which i don't think it deserves.
Tuftonboro You better have a spare 5 million bucks to build anything in that town,. but it is beautiful .
Wakefield Another basic none entitiy sort of town, it has nothing to say other than they have a pub and it isn't for the poor man either.
Wolfeboro The most stuffy town in the state IMO, and while they have a few things like the academy the place is deader than dead in winter time and so crowed in summer you have no elbow room at all.

You left out Brookfield. it has nothing but it is very scenic.

I live in Tamworth, so you don't think I am picking things for unknown reasons.

I have no idea about what and who you are, so i won't tell you my favorite either, because I might be wrong.

This is very helpful - thanks! So if I understand you, Ossipee and Laconia are considered less desirable addresses, while Wolfeboro and Wakefield are generally though to be posh. I ask all this because I am a LOCATION buyer, first and foremost. I'm more inclined to a buy a small, beat up fixer-upper in a desirable area than a nicer place in a less prized area. I envision buying a modest place, fixing it up and enjoying it a little bit, and then selling a few years down the road with the goal of (hopefully) making a little profit.

So what place is your favorite and/or would you recommend? Why is it your fave?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning Everyday View Post
This is very helpful - thanks! So if I understand you, Ossipee and Laconia are considered less desirable addresses, while Wolfeboro and Wakefield are generally though to be posh. I ask all this because I am a LOCATION buyer, first and foremost. I'm more inclined to a buy a small, beat up fixer-upper in a desirable area than a nicer place in a less prized area. I envision buying a modest place, fixing it up and enjoying it a little bit, and then selling a few years down the road with the goal of (hopefully) making a little profit.

So what place is your favorite and/or would you recommend? Why is it your fave?
I would say you don't understand me that well...... Wakefield is a no where kinda place and it has a pub. That isn't posh to me....

Wolfboro considers its self as posh but isn't to me.

My favorite as i can see you are now asking is Meredith as a small city near Laconia as a larger city but roughish, and perhaps widening the scope to include out towards Ashland another city. Between is a little town called Holderness which i find quaint. Also along Rt 113 east from Holderness is the Sandwiches, all of em North, South, East, and ctr. There is a lot of that around here.

Be hind Squam lake aka Golden Pond, you ever hear of that? Is Rt 113 where you just might find close to what your are looking for. That area is up and coming but not mint and all pristine, yet.

I like Ossipee but it hasn't much of anything and hasn't been since wooden window shutters went out of style...

May I ask where you lived or maybe better where you grew up? If you never knew real winter there is a lot to learn and know.

I am not a real estate agent but we have a very nice friendly one in here. I am sure she will be willing to help too.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
May I ask where you lived or maybe better where you grew up? If you never knew real winter there is a lot to learn and know.

I am not a real estate agent but we have a very nice friendly one in here. I am sure she will be willing to help too.
I live near Boston. I am looking for a place to hang out in the summer (fishing, boating, relaxing) that is also within an hour of a ski hill or two so I can hit the slopes in the winter. I want to focus my efforts on a town/location that is generally considered desirable -- this will (ceteris paribus) present better chance of investment opportunity and greater likelihood of return on investment.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,136,895 times
take a look at Gilford. Residents have their own town beach on Lake Winnipesaukee. In addition, the town owns Gunstock ski area, so residents get a discount on lift tickets as well. Gunstock is also open for night skiing.

The ski area is minutes away with a great view of the lake.

If you want bigger mountains, they are within an hour's drive. I recommend Cannon, Loon and Wildcat for additional fun.

You will find a number of listings available at reasonable rates.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Holderness is with in a hour of Loon and Cannon.

Meredith would add a slight bit of time to that, but also be closer to east west roads to Cranmore, Attitash and Wildcat. That Rt 113 I mentioned is more or less the trail to the bed room so far as a road goes.

From my town of Tamworth if I am just wasting time for a motorcycle ride i will ride it to Holderness, but not if i want to get to Ashland fast and maybe head north on the interstate. I still have to pass thru Holderness but on other roads I can legally go faster.

I am begining to think the Meredith area is what will suit you. You can be there faster from Boston than most any other place.

Which town ends up as the bed room is all up to you. You almost have to be a wealthy to afford water front property that isn't a bug haven swamp.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 AM

73 posts, read 118,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning Everyday View Post
So if I understand you, Ossipee and Laconia are considered less desirable addresses, while Wolfeboro and Wakefield are generally though to be posh.
I just want to reiterate that Wakefield is definitely NOT "posh" in any sense of the word. Very opposite of that.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,136,895 times
Wolfeboro isn't really posh either, but it's home to Romney and General Petraeus. There are a LOT of extremely wealthy people (1%'ers) in Wolfeboro. That's the extent of posh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire