U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,615 times

Advertisements

Hi MelPel
My husband and I are also considering a move to the littleton area. We just got back from visiting the area a few days ago. It is beautiful. We are from California so the differences are incredible to say the least.
We talked to alot of the locals about weather, heating costs, schools, etc..
forgot to ask about the bugs though.
Winter weather - was told rarely snows in october but does sometimes and quickly melts away. Starts really snowing in November thru beginning of March and gone by end of March.
Heating costs - was told by one local that he prepaid for oil and spent $2000.00 last winter in oil. Another local said don't prepay because alot of times the oil prices drop and you do not get a refund.
Getting around in the winter - Talked to one man that has lived there 20 years and he said he has never had the need for off road type of vehicles just all terrain tires. Also said that in those 20 years he can recall that only once was the weather so bad that church services were cancelled.
It's really a neat town. In California I've gotten used to seeing freeway signs that show Amber Alerts for missing children, in New Hampshire (especially northern) the freeway signs show active moose for next 5 miles. It's great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 07:43 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,270,856 times
Hi Boysmom,

Glad you liked the town! My husband and I are recent "transplants" having moved here in April from New York. We really enjoy the town and the people. I love the "moose crossing" signs, although I have yet to see a moose . Everyone up here has been very helpful to us and more than willing to answer any questions we have.

Again, glad you liked the area!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:29 PM

28 posts, read 95,465 times
Good Evening Boysmom-
I am so envious that you got to visit at this time of year-I can only imagine how beautiful it was. My family and I are hoping to visit at the end of the year, after Xmas, most likely.
Did you find anything out about the schools? What about real estate? It seems that the home prices are somewaht comparable to here in Western North Carolina. Of course, property taxes are higher there but then again we have a state income tax as well as sales taxes.
Any other areas that you visited that you might consider. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
Have a great night.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 PM

Hi Boysmom-
I was wondering if you got any info on your visit to Littleton that you might be willing to share.
Thanks.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:40 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,147,600 times
Default Snow

When i went down to tn the state shuts down over 1/4 inch of snow up there in Littleton 2 1/2/ ft of snow you will be going to school. (lol) N.H. don't close for snow and we don't stay home due to it either. we still work and play tell the girls snow mobiles they don't know fun till you race one across the fields at 70 mph. but you need snow for those. and the concord mall is small go to manchester mall of nh or nashua phesant lane mall. both within 1.5 hrs of littleton and much larger. and still tax free. we have no sales or income tax but watch out for that property tax that can go as high as 4 or 5 thousand a year depending on your town. id suggest Monroe if your lucky you will find a place in monroe nh but they are hard to find. good luck

Old 10-23-2006, 06:34 PM

Thank you nhyrnut. NC shuts down as well. My youngest daughter would LOVE to go on snowmobile-the faster the better for her!!
Did you recommend Monroe because of the taxes or are there other factors you like? We had chosen Littleton because of the "small"town atmosphere yet not too small. Do you know much about Littleton?
Thanks-have a good night. We are expecting a few flurries-hopefully the won't cancel school tomorrow!! Just kidding!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 07:46 PM

17 posts, read 91,361 times
Hi MelPel,

I lived in NH for 24 years before moving to PA, I have been trying to get back ever since. We are in the process of doing just that. We bought land in Haverhill NH, which is about 15 miles south of Littleton, but having been a route salesman, during my time in NH, I got to know the area very well.
My girlfriend has applied for a couple jobs, I have a job waiting for me. Once she gets a job, we will start construction. Life in NH, is totally different than anywhere else in the states, it is the best.
I have 4 wheel drive now, but during all 24 years I lived in Laconia NH, I had two wheel drive cars, and never had a problem, the road crews are awesome.
Winters can be long and cold, but you do get used to it, and if you like the outdoors, there is always something to do, the only thing we saw different about the winters, besides the weather, is there were less tourists. We never got stopped by weather.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 AM

3,710 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Default NH, PA, etc.

We lived down south for a long time, NH for two years, PA near Philly which we hated for six months, now in ID. We're looking to return to New England, probably NH or VT, in the next year or two. Maine supposedly has the highest tax burden in the USA.
I was born in NH, but the people seemed a bit distant when we moved there in 03.
We're interested in a smaller town. I appreciate all the comments here, Idaho is nice, but roots are in New England.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:58 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,614,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmom View Post
Hi MelPel
My husband and I are also considering a move to the littleton area. We just got back from visiting the area a few days ago. It is beautiful. We are from California so the differences are incredible to say the least.
We talked to alot of the locals about weather, heating costs, schools, etc..
forgot to ask about the bugs though.
Winter weather - was told rarely snows in october but does sometimes and quickly melts away. Starts really snowing in November thru beginning of March and gone by end of March.
Heating costs - was told by one local that he prepaid for oil and spent $2000.00 last winter in oil. Another local said don't prepay because alot of times the oil prices drop and you do not get a refund.
Getting around in the winter - Talked to one man that has lived there 20 years and he said he has never had the need for off road type of vehicles just all terrain tires. Also said that in those 20 years he can recall that only once was the weather so bad that church services were cancelled.
It's really a neat town. In California I've gotten used to seeing freeway signs that show Amber Alerts for missing children, in New Hampshire (especially northern) the freeway signs show active moose for next 5 miles. It's great!
It's pretty much a flip the coin on the prepay/don't prepay. On average it's better to prepay in the summer as prices generally do go up. However this is an election year so prices concidentally are down so those who prepayed probably will be paying a little more. Although calling around to a few oil companies before I left New England (I'm in NC now), many of them hadn't adjusted their pricing to reflect the lower cost of oil. They said they bought it when it was high...so there's no savings to pass on.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,147,600 times
I recomend Monroe Due to the very good school sysyem the kids go to St. Johnbsbury Acadamy for free this is a 20k a year private school normaly. the property taxes are one of the lowestb in the state. it is right next to littleton but not crowded or so messed up with the politics of littleton rt now it would not be a town i would move to they are haveing alot of in town bickering and fireing and sueing ect.. but the surrounding towns are close and nicer for the family life. dalton whitefield monroe all nice towns stay clear of bethlahem as well very high propert taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire