U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2012, 06:55 PM
 
8 posts, read 53,215 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Was pulled over because, unbeknownst to me, the registration had expired three weeks ago. Car is in my husband's name and he handles this chore. Police officer told me that I would need to get the car towed as he was not allowed to let me either drive home or to the town hall to get it registered. He then provided me with names of local towing companies to choose from, whom he would call. I told him to choose the closest. And I was towed to town hall. He gave me a warning. Is this in fact true, that by law I could no longer drive my car? Or does this smack of collusion between the local police and local towing companies? I am trying to find any NH law that would apply. Also, my son has been pulled over for same more than once and was never told he had to be towed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2012, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Texas
203 posts, read 391,109 times
Reputation: 460
I work for a City in the water department and was told that if a customer ever asks anyone who they should call for a plumber if they have an issue with their lines (water) that we are not allowed to give any names at all.

I find it very odd he would have a list of names of towing companies for you to call. I would consult with the mayor or city manager of your town/city if they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 PM
 
3,034 posts, read 7,423,394 times
Reputation: 1703
unfortunately it's true - you CAN NOT drive an unregistered car at any time, anywhere - the statute indicates the car must be immediately immobilized - it's a two point offense on your driving record and points stay on your driving record for 3 years
New Hampshire DMV Point System - Guide to NH DMV Points & Suspensions at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

in most cases, the car is impounded and you pay fees by the day until you get it registered and put back on the road

usually, there is a hefty fine as well as the impound fees


I think it was kind of the officer to tow you to town hall so you could register your car. It could have been much worse and certainly more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
6,204 posts, read 10,437,373 times
Reputation: 16768
Wow, I am stunned by this. I've lived in New Hampshire for the past 10-1/2 years and a couple of times I registered my car late (within a few weeks). I seem to recall getting pulled over a couple of times but being let off with a warning (and of course I registered pronto after that!!). When I first read the OP I wondered about collusion between the police department and the towing companies too. I can see getting fined for not having it registered AND having to prove registration soon afterward (e.g. within 24 hours), but to have to have the car towed when there is nothing wrong with it?! That seems asinine to me.

My birthday is a holiday so I can never register it the day it expires ... I think I will go in BEFORE instead of AFTER from now on.

OP, sorry this happened to you, but I guess it's a lesson for all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Mass
22,138 posts, read 10,633,811 times
Reputation: 6703
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieg View Post
Was pulled over because, unbeknownst to me, the registration had expired three weeks ago. Car is in my husband's name and he handles this chore. Police officer told me that I would need to get the car towed as he was not allowed to let me either drive home or to the town hall to get it registered. He then provided me with names of local towing companies to choose from, whom he would call. I told him to choose the closest. And I was towed to town hall. He gave me a warning. Is this in fact true, that by law I could no longer drive my car? Or does this smack of collusion between the local police and local towing companies? I am trying to find any NH law that would apply. Also, my son has been pulled over for same more than once and was never told he had to be towed.
Consider your self lucky that he only gave you a warning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,243,672 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieg View Post
Was pulled over because, unbeknownst to me, the registration had expired three weeks ago. ... Also, my son has been pulled over for same more than once and was never told he had to be towed.
I am sorry you were pulled over. I think the officer was kind to just let you off with a warning, and he was right in not letting you drive further without a registration (as much a hardship as it might have caused you). I assume the officer suggested specific towing services because you did not know of any you could call on the spot.

I understand you were unaware your car was unregistered at the time of this incident, but, if your son has been pulled over before for the same reason (more than once), you are likely aware that only registered cars may be operated.

Again, I am sorry about your experience. I am glad you were able to safely get to the town hall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 AM
 
Location: North
740 posts, read 1,120,498 times
Reputation: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
...
I can see getting fined for not having it registered AND having to prove registration soon afterward (e.g. within 24 hours), but to have to have the car towed when there is nothing wrong with it?! That seems asinine to me.

My birthday is a holiday so I can never register it the day it expires ... I think I will go in BEFORE instead of AFTER from now on.

OP, sorry this happened to you, but I guess it's a lesson for all of us.
I agree. I see no reason to have the car towed just because the registration is expired. A fine, a requirement to register it immediately, being sent to court are all alternatives that address the issue.

And, AFAIK, the registration doesn't expire on the exact day of your birthday, you have the whole month of your birthday to get to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 AM
 
10,605 posts, read 15,797,927 times
Reputation: 9992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
I agree. I see no reason to have the car towed just because the registration is expired. A fine, a requirement to register it immediately, being sent to court are all alternatives that address the issue.

And, AFAIK, the registration doesn't expire on the exact day of your birthday, you have the whole month of your birthday to get to it.
Except that NH law states you cannot drive an unregistered vehicle on public roads. Whether you agree with it or not, that is the perfect reason for it to be towed.

The curious thing, in NH AFAIK you can't get your vehicle inspected until after it's registered, so I would imagine that was expired as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Monadnock region
3,712 posts, read 8,831,162 times
Reputation: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The curious thing, in NH AFAIK you can't get your vehicle inspected until after it's registered, so I would imagine that was expired as well?
you are given a 10 day window of exemption to get it registered. after that.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 01:14 PM
 
8 posts, read 53,215 times
Reputation: 11
I only learned that my adult son had been pulled over during this incident, as he was in the car with me, and that is when he told me. So, I was not aware that you can not drive a vehicle with an expired registration. And why can't you, if you have every intention of getting the car registered. What really got me thinking about the necessity of towing is what the tow driver said to me, " He could have just followed you to town hall, instead of having you towed." It was only two miles.

I did take the car for inspection, so we were up to date on that. These statutes seem like overkill for a simple oversight. I am not a criminal simply for driving a car with an expired registration. Oops, the state didn't get our money by the deadline? We believe the renewal notice must have been lost in the mail, as my husband is very diligent about these matters.

Last edited by maggieg; 09-23-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top