Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:31 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times

Advertisements

What's the best place you can think of to share with the group. Best seafood, Chinese, burgers or what have you? Someone asked about burger places, and while I can't think of one in NH (but would love a recommendation!) the only one that pops into mind is Skip's Hamburgers in nearby Merrimac MA. It's maybe 20 minutes from the NH border, so it almost counts

It's a great place to go, casual "come as you are" place. You can eat inside or out on one of the many picnic tables, under the trees. A hamburg or cheeseburg special and SuzyQ fries (spiral and yummy!!) They're open April or May thru end of September. They have "cruise nights" where almost the entire parking lot is full of antique or classic cars, then the cars all cruise together down to Salisbury Beach, or Lee Speedway. If you're driving along Rte 110 in Merrimac, and you see this sign:

pull in for a great hamburg and fries!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 05:53 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,962 times
It been a number of years since I've been there but, I think everyone should try the Red Arrow in Manchester. The food is homemade, it has an old dinner atmosphere, the conversation can be stimulating, especially with the politics in town. And, for your convenience, it's open 24 hours a day, last time I remember.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:19 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times
When I was a kid in Boston, my parents would order Chinese food from Chinatown's "China Pearl" restaurant (it's still there and it's still quite good), a cab driver would drop it off at our house for us, that's how close we were to Boston's Chinatown, growing up! Now, years later living on NH's seacoast, we finally found a wonderful chinese restaurant (like the ones we had in Chinatown.) We didn't even know about this one up here, until my cousin that lived in Vermont came down to visit a few times, he actually told us there was an article in the Boston Globe about this wonderful place in Hampton Beach and it was called the Ocean Wok! Well, we were SO shocked because it was there for a while before we started going to it and now we're there all the time and we're regulars with them!

The OCEAN WOK's located at 7 Ocean Boulevard at Hampton Beach. It's extremely good too! We love it so much that we get it "to go" quite a bit. I would say it's the best chinese cuisine for this whole area, and we won't go any where else now, it's just so good. If you have lunch or dinner here, we like it because it's got the white linen table cloths, it's extremely clean, their waitstaff are SO friendly and couldn't do enough for you. There menu isn't expensive, they have great luncheon specials and it's fun to go for dinner at night too. This is the time of year when we get it "to go" because usually in the summer months, we can't get near it due to the summer madness at the beach!

I can't think of our best seafood place around here. We really like Brown's in Seabrook, MA on Rte 286. Chauncey Creek up at Kittery Point, ME. is another spot we'll hit from time to time over the summer. We think nothing of driving to Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery a lot, or to the Village Restaurant in Essex, MA. or to Woodman's for their clams. We're all pretty lucky to live in this area, we have tons of seafood choices and really they're all fantastic, in my book, I don't have a favorite any more.

I'm fussy when it comes to Italian cuisine though too. We really like Ronaldo's in No. Hampton, but I don't love it any more the way every one else does. I'm extremely fussy due to going to Boston's North End quite a bit. It's very good at Ronaldo's but we don't go there all the time any more the way we used to! It's another place we hit "to go" more and more now because it's always so darn crowded with lines out the door.

We really like The Ristorante Molise in Amesbury, MA. a lot, that's another place, we got it "to go" before and it was extremely good, we have to go here in the winter months, it's a tradition! There's another restaurant up in Portsmouth, NH that we absolutely love, for italian cuisine. We'll only go there for special, special occasions, like anniversaries or birthdays, due to their lovely atmosphere. It's got a new name these days, it's now called the Ristorante Massimo. It was formerly named; for years "Anthony Alberto's". It's a definite gem and like I said, we're pretty fussy, but this one is extremely good.

Other than that, the rest of the places are chains that I can think of. For instance, we go down to this place in Wakefield, MA called Brothers Deli specifically for their corned beef, it's awesome and we always thought it was the only one around, we've been taking jaunts down there a couple of times a year, that's how good it is! From what we understand there's more Brothers around AND Hampton is building a "Brothers North" Plaza right now as I write this. It's being built right across the road on Rte 1 from Lena's Sandwich Shop. We're keeping our fingers crossed that it's like the Wakefield, MA. Brothers Deli because if it is? They have the best corned beef around, now all we need to do is get a really good bakery with the dark brown pumpernickel bread instead of having to go to the varous supermarkets for it! THEN, we'll really be in heaven living up here!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 10-07-2007 at 06:40 AM..

Old 10-07-2007, 07:51 AM

39 posts, read 176,271 times
Prime rib= There's a place off of NH 101 and Bypass 28 at the traffic circle that is great. I can't remember the name, been a couple of years since I've been up there.

Itallian...two places come to mind...again don't remember the names. one is in Londonderry off of 102? (Exit 4, go west). It's in a little strip mall with a butcher and the restaurant on the south side of the road. Very small place but always seems to be packed. Have eaten there, and the food is excellent.

Another is in Candia on the backroad leading from Candia to Raymond (33? or old 101?). It is in a little strip mall on the south side of the road. The gentleman who owns it is certainly italian, and the lobster ravioli is to die for.

If you like typical Diner fair..then the place on main street in Derry is great. A lot of locals eat there and the place is usually busy...parking lot in the rear. I never ate anything but breakfast (banana stuffed french toast with strawberries and whipped cream...yum...and eggs benedict is good too) there so can't comment on their other stuff.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 AM

951 posts, read 1,655,407 times
My vote for pizza is Vinnie's Pizzaria, 200 South Main Street, Concord. The place has been there for 50 years and they know how to make a pie! Place is a classic old time pizza parlor! Oddly enough, the building is in a fork in the road so it's shape is actually a giant "V", like a big slice of pizza!!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 AM

39 posts, read 176,271 times
WOW!...Vinnies is still there! Nice to see some things don't change. Tood bad they're so far away (about 12-1300 miles) and too bad they're right across the street from that bad chain..MD..but yes..pizza parlor. Another pizza place in Londonderry, off of exit 5 to the west...they have excellent subs. Never tried their pizza though..fell in love with their teriaki chicken sub with feta and house dressing (and lots of veggies)! Is Hermanos still around in the old jailhouse? At least I think it was called Hermanos...great Mex food anyway.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:32 AM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times
Breakfast: Friendly Toast in Portsmouth. Best breakfast I've had in the USA in 14 years (except my own home-cooked cheddar eggs and smoked pork chops as my wife kindly tells me). Casual, eclectic retro atmosphere.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM

Here I am at a very quiet open house, so plenty of time to read city data

MommyG... You gotta be thinking of SPATS They DO have the best prime rib around, mmmmm

And the Italian place you're thinking of is Cafe' Theresa's ALWAYS busy, wonder what's going to happen there now that Mr. Steer is moving across the street in a couple of months.

The place in Derry can only be MaryAnn's Diner - Restaurant Only open for breakfast, or maybe lunch now too.

A great place for Italian is Dante's Spagetti House on Rte 125 in Barrington, just over the line from Lee. EXCELLENT food, the lobster ravioli is the best I've had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2g View Post
Prime rib= There's a place off of NH 101 and Bypass 28 at the traffic circle that is great. I can't remember the name, been a couple of years since I've been up there.

Itallian...two places come to mind...again don't remember the names. one is in Londonderry off of 102? (Exit 4, go west). It's in a little strip mall with a butcher and the restaurant on the south side of the road. Very small place but always seems to be packed. Have eaten there, and the food is excellent.

Another is in Candia on the backroad leading from Candia to Raymond (33? or old 101?). It is in a little strip mall on the south side of the road. The gentleman who owns it is certainly italian, and the lobster ravioli is to die for.

If you like typical Diner fair..then the place on main street in Derry is great. A lot of locals eat there and the place is usually busy...parking lot in the rear. I never ate anything but breakfast (banana stuffed french toast with strawberries and whipped cream...yum...and eggs benedict is good too) there so can't comment on their other stuff.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Best Pizza-Elvio's in Lincoln NH.
Best Breakfast-I agree with what others said-Friendly Toast in Portsmouth NH

Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 AM

Yes yes yes! Forgot about The Friendly Toast!! All day breakfast and what a great menu! Thanks

Another good place is Mojito's in Dover... more of a bar than restaurant, but if you get there between 5-7 PM you can get a great meal. Not your typical "bar food" by any means....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire