Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The primary shopping done by people to avoid their own state taxes is for alcohol containing products. For instance a fifth of JD cost about $25 in NH and near $30-35 in MA, CT, RI and VT. Those states would like to have their citizens pay that tax and would be very happy to have NH collect it for them. In fact flatlanders that do not pay their state excise tax are legally smugglers and can be prosecuted in their home state. Most New England States ignore individual smuggling of small amounts of booze but do investigate large amounts that bypass both the local taxes and monopoly distributer arrangements.

As a Frugal Yankee I do not see any reason we should help either other state’s revenuers or monopoly distributers. If people are willing to drive to New Hampshire and take the risk of smuggling booze and fireworks back to the rest of New England that is their decision. All we should do is thank them for their money and encourage them to return for more.

Well written.
It is not NH's issue if those from other states do not pay their 'use tax'. For example, it is on the MA resident income tax form that these taxes (by MA residents) must be paid. They ended up putting it on the form, so the residents there can be cited for tax fraud:

Use Tax Due on Out-of-State Purchases Worksheet Example

Alcohol (actually the federally-regulated stuff i.e. ATF... Alcohol/Tobacco/Firearms) are all ultimately controlled by the federal government for inter-state transport.

Actually, since I am not even a resident of New England, it doesn't really matter to me at all, but I have no love lost for seeing MA get the big end of the stick.... (And if you turn in those that don't pay the tax, you get a percentage of the take....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
I will not support any bill that helps the .gov collect any tax.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]The primary shopping done by people to avoid their own state taxes is for alcohol containing products.
I doubt alcohol is primary. Look at the dearth of malls north of Rt. 128 in MA. None are built as consumers head north for any significant purchase due to the 6.25% sales tax in MA. The same lack of malls does not exist south of 128 towards RI. I don't know how much is saved at the NH liquor stores annually but the malls on the border do incredible business with MA residents...

Old 10-26-2012, 05:04 PM

147 posts, read 268,762 times
My question is who is going to enforce it? Being in NH and another state wanting their sales tax just how are they going to collect it? A state cant just call NH and say we want our sales tax......there is no way to enforce this that I see. It would completely change how I do business myself......I moved to NH partially to not have to play this tax game. And it is NOT just alcohol.....tons of secondhand goods, and large ticket items definitely change hands to avoid state taxes. Also, cash and check would then become king.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
The "use" tax makes no sense. All of the activity happened in NH. Bought from a NH store, using NH roads, NH employees, bought in NH and another states wants money from this transaction?

Its bull.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
That's why it's called "use tax". The end user makes use of the product in a taxing state (MA).

Old 10-28-2012, 10:09 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Use tax is taxation without representation. Its the reason we started america.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Use tax is a taxation by in the state where you are a resident -- Massachusetts has the right to levy a use tax on Massachusetts residents on items they bought outside of Massachusetts, because the people being taxed are Massachusetts residents. It's very much taxation *with* representation.

What would be objectionable would be if MA tried to get a cut of revenues from retailers located on the NH side of the border because they might be selling to some MA residents, that would be a problem. Or ask Amazon to collect MA sales tax on shipments to Nashua "Mailboxes, Etc." addresses even when the Amazon order doesn't come from a credit card with an MA billing address.

If MA were to try to collect a tax where the activity/item being taxed had no nexus in MA, that would be "taxation without representation...the reason we started america.".

Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Mass is always trying to annex NH....... At this point there are so many taxes only a fool would want anymore. Unless of course that fool was standing in the way to get a gain of them.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozintime View Post
My question is who is going to enforce it? Being in NH and another state wanting their sales tax just how are they going to collect it? A state cant just call NH and say we want our sales tax......there is no way to enforce this that I see. It would completely change how I do business myself......I moved to NH partially to not have to play this tax game. And it is NOT just alcohol.....tons of secondhand goods, and large ticket items definitely change hands to avoid state taxes. Also, cash and check would then become king.
Not even worth a response, due to lack of comprehension (and the slightest bit of state law knowledge). In MA it is on the state tax return..
Ok, I'll bite.. it is not NH's law for sales tax... it is the recipients who make such purchases that owe it...
(No comment, but 'frozintime' means many millenia ago?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire