Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Hampshire: retiring to Florida, affordable property, condominium development, realtors, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:48 AM

117 posts, read 485,709 times

Advertisements

rmcewan--no not suggesting it at all please bring your children. Just saying that for us we are not bringing any new burdens to our area ourselves just want to live and absorb the beauty. It absolutely is a beautiful area to bring children to as mine grew up here. I just don't want people to demand strip malls and 2 minute convenience things in every community they move into. I don't like Salem and Nashua for that reason. Nashua is like a parking lot during commuting time and weekends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 05:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I don't know of anyone that has demanded strip malls or big box stores but they show up anyway. I think it is called economic progress. If I did not take a job in Mass for fairly low pay because I wanted to get out of NYC and that pay did not support buying a house in Mass I probably would not have moved to NH. I would have bought a place in Massachusetts if I could have afforded one. I have been puzzled by the differences in real estate prices between the states. If Mass is such a tax burdened place to live why are prices so much higher than “tax free” New Hampshire. I think it is simply that the Mass taxes actually buy the population and the businesses services like good schools they find valuable and the house prices reflect this by being higher than NH.

As I said in a previous post a small town low tax environment is ideal for the people that have an outside source of income like annuity hippies and retired folks. It is not ideal if you are trying to make your living there. Indeed things are cheaper in NH but so are wages, schools, state roads and any and all the services that prosperity brings. Most of the people complaining about “progress” (including myself on occasion) do not have to work in this state to make their living.

I plan on taking advantage of the same situation by moving to an even poorer state because the profit I’ll make from selling the condo will cover the move and buy a nicer house. In addition my pension will go a lot further because things are generally cheaper in an impoverished place than in a prosperous one.

As far as implementing more government spending and the higher taxes to support the spending a growing portion the population is willing to vote to make it happen. This may annoy the cheapskate libertarians and republicans. If they don’t like it they can move to Nevada and put up with the lack of water and really corrupt politics.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIMU View Post
rmcewan--no not suggesting it at all please bring your children. Just saying that for us we are not bringing any new burdens to our area ourselves just want to live and absorb the beauty. It absolutely is a beautiful area to bring children to as mine grew up here. I just don't want people to demand strip malls and 2 minute convenience things in every community they move into. I don't like Salem and Nashua for that reason. Nashua is like a parking lot during commuting time and weekends
I know it's a tax term, but burden is not a way I usually refer to the kids. We're moving into Madbury, just north of Durham. Madbury has almost no commercial areas. Durham has only a few chain stores, but no big box stuff. However, it's important to remember that the smaller strip malls are the home of America's small businesses. Also, Nashua is a town of 80,000 - the smaller towns in NH just don't have the population base - and won't unless the army moves to town - to support huge growth in strip malls.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I don't know of anyone that has demanded strip malls or big box stores but they show up anyway. I think it is called economic progress. If I did not take a job in Mass for fairly low pay because I wanted to get out of NYC and that pay did not support buying a house in Mass I probably would not have moved to NH. I would have bought a place in Massachusetts if I could have afforded one. I have been puzzled by the differences in real estate prices between the states. If Mass is such a tax burdened place to live why are prices so much higher than “tax free” New Hampshire. I think it is simply that the Mass taxes actually buy the population and the businesses services like good schools they find valuable and the house prices reflect this by being higher than NH.

As I said in a previous post a small town low tax environment is ideal for the people that have an outside source of income like annuity hippies and retired folks. It is not ideal if you are trying to make your living there. Indeed things are cheaper in NH but so are wages, schools, state roads and any and all the services that prosperity brings. Most of the people complaining about “progress” (including myself on occasion) do not have to work in this state to make their living.

I plan on taking advantage of the same situation by moving to an even poorer state because the profit I’ll make from selling the condo will cover the move and buy a nicer house. In addition my pension will go a lot further because things are generally cheaper in an impoverished place than in a prosperous one.

As far as implementing more government spending and the higher taxes to support the spending a growing portion the population is willing to vote to make it happen. This may annoy the cheapskate libertarians and republicans. If they don’t like it they can move to Nevada and put up with the lack of water and really corrupt politics.

So people are "cheapskates" because they want the greedy governnent to have less of their $$? Government will never be satiated. The more $$ you give them, the more $$ they have to spend. Haven't you complained in the past that you get nothing for your property taxes? Taking your argument, how are you not a "cheapskate"?

Mass is a tax burdened place. It is a fact. If you think higher taxes are needed in NH, you can pay my portion.

A few years ago, when Mass had their roll back on income tax rates a lot of people were against the tax decrease. On your tax form that year, there was an option to pay the "higher rate". I think like 200 people chose it. I at least have respect for those people-at least they were not hypocrytes. People were so much against the tax decrease but they took it anyway. Even Mr. John-I love taxes Kerry-chose to pay the lower rate. Hypocryte. If these people thought keeping the tax rate the same was so vital, why did they not pay the higher rate? Are they "cheapskates"?

Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 AM

147 posts, read 268,622 times
Default Taxes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

If you are for a wasteful and inefficient government taking your money and spending it on your behalf.....then so be it. Granted...states are more efficient at spending revenues.....normally, but not always. Look at the BIG DIG....

Our federal tax system is so skewed it is sick. I have said...and will say it again...it has become about getting money out of the taxpayer's pockets and into big business' pockets or using it to benefit big business'. Our federal system is becoming a syphon....

In this instance there is a difference between the two states...I think the differences are small scale efficiencies. The bigger the project the worse the graft, corruption, and waste. New Hamsphire is about small scale and local government much more than Mass.

I would say that wanting to raise taxes to support a population that is growing is understandable, but I think it sounds that there is a specific program that you want support for "growing portion of population". Which portion would this be?

It isnt that Republicans are cheapskates.....this is evident at the current budget and appropriations.....LARGEST EVER. The libertarians are against taxes period since they arent specifically given express consent in the constitution.

It sounds like people come here and do want to change things or have more provided for them though....normally something that will benefit them.

I absolutely will go for the vote....but I dont need much....so

Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,504 times
Ah yes...cheapskate governments...Toll collectors don't make $50 grand in NH and police don't rake in $51 OT pay for that baloney "traffic detail" that goes on in every state to begin with. The Big Ripoff (Dig)? Only in Massachusetts of course. Since when is "cheapskate" a synonym for sound fiscal discipline?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 AM

To be fair, we can thank many-a-long term NH residents for the change in NH as well. The Carol-Shea-Porters of the world are in large thanks to the dopey anti-Iraq "protest vote" by many who wouldn't now a dam thing about the world we live in beyond the fact that war is bad and people get killed. Alot of good that vote has done in both changing the status quo in Iraq and maintaining sound politics in New Hampshire, hey? Some should stay far from a voting booth...go join your granola comrades in downtown Portsmouth and enjoy a latte right across the street at Starbucks on Market Street if you want your voice heard. Some of us still live in the real world and understand state elections have more consequences in regards to New Hampshire, not DC politics.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
To be fair, we can thank many-a-long term NH residents for the change in NH as well. The Carol-Shea-Porters of the world are in large thanks to the dopey anti-Iraq "protest vote" by many who wouldn't now a dam thing about the world we live in beyond the fact that war is bad and people get killed. Alot of good that vote has done in both changing the status quo in Iraq and maintaining sound politics in New Hampshire, hey? Some should stay far from a voting booth...go join your granola comrades in downtown Portsmouth and enjoy a latte right across the street at Starbucks on Market Street if you want your voice heard. Some of us still live in the real world and understand state elections have more consequences in regards to New Hampshire, not DC politics.
True-very true.

It is so sad that NH state reps were voted out of office because of the war. What do they have to do with Iraq? Now we have higher taxes, smoking ban, and other things like seat belt law and sanctuary state laws have been proposed. Even though we did not get an income or sales tax-taxes were raised-enormously. Home sales, car registration, etc.

Also, everyone that voted to get rid of Jeb Bradley for Carol Shea-Porter-did that bring our troops home? NO! This Shea Porter has no business being in office-she is a joke and a disgrace. I hope that people think before they vote in 2008.

I still do not understand this lovefest with our governor photo-op either. What has he done that is so great? He runs around in helocopters after floods and everyone loves him?

What has he done besides sign in the largest budget in NH history? Enlighten me please. Why do you all vote for him? He got 80% of the vote some of you had to vote for him.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
True-very true.

It is so sad that NH state reps were voted out of office because of the war. What do they have to do with Iraq? Now we have higher taxes, smoking ban, and other things like seat belt law and sanctuary state laws have been proposed. Even though we did not get an income or sales tax-taxes were raised-enormously. Home sales, car registration, etc.

Also, everyone that voted to get rid of Jeb Bradley for Carol Shea-Porter-did that bring our troops home? NO! This Shea Porter has no business being in office-she is a joke and a disgrace. I hope that people think before they vote in 2008.

I still do not understand this lovefest with our governor photo-op either. What has he done that is so great? He runs around in helocopters after floods and everyone loves him?

What has he done besides sign in the largest budget in NH history? Enlighten me please. Why do you all vote for him? He got 80% of the vote some of you had to vote for him.

Alot of the issue with Lynch is simply again people not paying closer attention. Lynch carries a small stick and is slinky as to determining for example, that the issue of civil unions is not an issue to be determined by voters, as well as the toll increases that go into effect next week. I take small solace in the fact however that thankfully at least Lynch is no Deval Patrick or Baldacci.
As for good old Carol-Shea, only the moonbats seem to be in her corner at this point. She is a dope, pure and simple. This isn't an argument about whether we should be in Iraq. But when you answer a question about crises involving radical Islam in the Middle East with a simple statement that "these things have a way of settling out on their own", boy oh boy, I some times think we'd be better suited having Barney Rubble and Pauly Shore represent NH's constituents. Let's not even start on her disgraceful votes regarding amnesty and the border, helping push that despicable pork-spending bill loaded w/ earmarks attached to a troops-funding bill, and her declining to disclose her official stances publicly last pre-election period, something at least Lynch had the cajones to do.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am not in a good mood so my usual restraint is somewhat limited. As far as the “old time politics” in New Hampshire are concerned I am working as hard as I can to make certain that you folks are the dinosaurs and we are the mammals. The collapsing economy and doomed adventure in Iraq is the asteroid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire