Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Is there a school district between Campton and Concord that is exceedingly better than the others or is one to stay away from?
Canterbury is known as having particularly strong schools, but that's 45 minutes to Campton and a very small town (although quite close to Concord).

I would probably stay away from Franklin and the towns in the Newfound school district (New Hampton, Bristol, Bridgewater, Hebron, Groton, Alexandria, Danbury).

For schools I would focus on Holderness, Ashland, or Meredith. Meredith is the farthest from Campton but there is arguably the most for kids to do in a short radius (including playing hockey on the lakes). Ashland has a nice little downtown area and is close to Plymouth. Holderness is basically a small village with lots of retirees and second homeowners living on the lakes, but the elementary school is said to be strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default MT to NH

I suggest visiting the area as well as getting a copy of the DeLorme Road ATLAS and the New England MAP (for the map critics out there) that has fairly detailed maps of the area. I drove up to that region a week or so ago in the first light snow. The place was a pretty as always even in the grey clouds and blowing snow. I think you will like NH.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Thanks for the info Mac_Muz.

My husband works for the Forest Service.

We're used to long drives because if you can imagine (unless you've been here and know) EVERYTHING is far away in MT. The local joke is to tell out-of-staters is that "it's about an hour away". That's the standard response to everything when it could take several hours. It's normal for people to drive 2 hours to the next big town to do a little shopping then come home.

My husband is interested in hunting opportunities. As long as he can take his gun for a walk for something he will be happy. Moose tags are a lottery system here too. How's the bird hunting? I'm guessing not great.

What kind of fish do you catch? I'm hoping the answer is bass, walleye, perch etc. I'm not a huge fan of trout.

Hubby isn't hesitant about NH in particular, he's just bummed at the thought of moving away from Calgary because the Flames are his favorite team and we go up for games every year.

I'm starting to eye Meredith as well. How's that commute to both Campton and Concord? Google earth says about 40 minutes to Concord and about half hour to campton but it's been known to be inaccurate.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 AM

I'd love to visit the area but it's probably not possible and we're also 'fly by the seat of our pants' kind of people. We up and sold everything we owned to raise gas money to move to Montana without ever having been here. We didn't know anyone here and we didn't have jobs lined up. I've done way more research about NH than I ever did on Montana.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Canterbury is known as having particularly strong schools, but that's 45 minutes to Campton and a very small town (although quite close to Concord).

I would probably stay away from Franklin and the towns in the Newfound school district (New Hampton, Bristol, Bridgewater, Hebron, Groton, Alexandria, Danbury).

For schools I would focus on Holderness, Ashland, or Meredith. Meredith is the farthest from Campton but there is arguably the most for kids to do in a short radius (including playing hockey on the lakes). Ashland has a nice little downtown area and is close to Plymouth. Holderness is basically a small village with lots of retirees and second homeowners living on the lakes, but the elementary school is said to be strong.

Thanks for the info. Schools are one of my major concerns but like I said before, MT schools are atrocious so anything would be an improvement. I keep hearing wonderful things about Meredith. I'm beginning to research it more.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:

We're used to long drives because if you can imagine (unless you've been here and know) EVERYTHING is far away in MT. The local joke is to tell out-of-staters is that "it's about an hour away". That's the standard response to everything when it could take several hours. It's normal for people to drive 2 hours to the next big town to do a little shopping then come home.

My husband is interested in hunting opportunities. As long as he can take his gun for a walk for something he will be happy. Moose tags are a lottery system here too. How's the bird hunting? I'm guessing not great.

What kind of fish do you catch? I'm hoping the answer is bass, walleye, perch etc. I'm not a huge fan of trout.

Hubby isn't hesitant about NH in particular, he's just bummed at the thought of moving away from Calgary because the Flames are his favorite team and we go up for games every year.

I'm starting to eye Meredith as well. How's that commute to both Campton and Concord? Google earth says about 40 minutes to Concord and about half hour to campton but it's been known to be inaccurate.

Meredith could be good, and the kids play hockey right on the lake there. See this please. The first images of the town are looking west. The long shot is looking south down the lake.

Pond Hockey in Meredith,NH / 2010 - YouTube

We have upland birds called ruffed grouse formally. We have a cousin to it called Spruce grouse not legal to hunt, because they are just too stupid. You can't hunt something that won't run or fly away

We have woodcock too, but we don't hunt dove. I don't hunt pheasant or turkey, but the turkey is making a come back. Pheasants are imported and seem to sort of have a claw hanging in to live here, but i don't see very many.

All I hunt anymore is the Ruffed Grouse, and I call them the Great Nor' Eastern Man Eatin' Patridge

Evidently they have a primitive means of communication, and can pass death notice to others in the general area, and that date is processed thru eggs and so these Killer birds know I am the dreaded enemy, and have been trying to kill me for many years now.

Oh sure I know our laughing at me and rolling your eyes towards the ceiling about now too. Everyone does.

But I have witnesses as 2 hiking friends where we were not hunting, my wife another time and were not hunting, 2 more friends in another location, my now x bro in law who tried to shoot the one that attacked me, and last a local garage man who was eyeing the ceiling in his shop because he didn't believe a word coming out of my mouth and was trying hard to not insult me, when of a sudden the sound of shattering glass brought him back to the harsh reality that yet once more another one of these killer bird had broken his windon and crash landed at my feet, and was in a little state of shock for the breaking thru the window, but otherwise was fine and still trying to kill me.

The last attempt was here a few weeks ago when another came thru the screen on the porch.... Now i gotta get that screen fixed too......

If this were a joke i would have put green faces all over the place, but I am dead serious.

We have Bass fishing in warm water ponds. Yoyu can catch punkin seeds, blue gills sun fish and crappies too. I won't eat any of these dirt fist as I am spoiled rotten and eat trout

We have northern pike (a fish that is no more than bone and teeth), perch, and cat fish.

Also in lakes there is land locked salmon....

Now about these warm water ponds: You do not want to go swimming in any back water warm water ponds, unless you really like black blood suckers a lot.

I put my black WW-1 canoe in Red Eagle Pond to see pitcher plants and floating bog life, and when I put the boat back on my car it had a odd look like a afro hair cut and seemed heavier than normal too.

Then I noticed the canoe was moving as if it were alive and at the water line it became inches wider in a sharp line.

OMG it was loaded with blood sucks by the millions I would have to say..... never saw anything like that before and i don't paddle on that pond anymore.. but i would if i had a partner. I am past the point of dealing with the lifting and carry of that boat.

Me I don't care a whit about most sports..... I like solo sports hiking, canoeing (2 people is ok)

I shoot and so the only ball I use in sports are a lead round balls for flintlocks.

Driving: Yup that's about it if you live here.

Meredith is minutes away from the Interstate North/South.... I am 1 hour from the same exit east.

More or less if you move to Campton and the towns all mentioned in this thread we would be neighbors.. I would be on the eastern limit Jct of Rt 25 and Rt 16.

Local jokes are giving directions including land marks that no longer exist.

Like this.....

Warl...., lemme think a minute......., Ayha you go down thataway O' bout 14 miles and turn left, wheya' the red school burnt down in 1946, and go on out another 23 miles to the intersection, and make right.

Ohh uhh No, that won't do it... (Lots more tawkin) Always ends as Warl' come ta' think of it, you can't git theya' from heya'!

I do speak yanqueeze

This place is midway for me to the town of Meredith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY2aryptJ8k

Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM

432 posts, read 414,072 times
Quote:

The new forest service building in Campton is beautiful and right off the highway. NH is over 80% forest so I imagine if you work with trees it is where to be.
Those commutes seem about right although you could give or take 10 minutes according to weather or tourist traffic. Keep in mind that east-west travel in NH sucks, but north-south on 93 is easy.
Not sure about the schools in Meredith, but the town does seem to have some money. There is a new police station, a community center, skateboard park, etc. My wife and I used to drive down from Campton quite a bit to eat out, shop, and just walk along the lake. It's definitely more lively than Campton. I believe the pond hockey championships are held there? There is a year-round rink in Waterville Valley, and maybe PSU's is also?
Center Harbor is right next door and considered a "low tax" town. If you are buying property definitely look into property tax rates. My uncle moved a mile down the road from Plymouth to Bridgewater and cut his taxes in half.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the videos Mac_Muz. That's better hockey than I've seen in the eight years I've been in Montana.

Brk330, I've noticed the wide range in property taxes. That's going to hurt a bit. We pay about 1% here. We also don't have a sales tax but we do have income tax.

How is the real estate market there? I've looked at what's available but it's hard to gauge what that represents as a healthy market. Also, I know it's a historic area but I noticed there aren't many new houses there. Don't get me wrong, I'd be looking for an older home, I was just surprised because it seems like everywhere else I look has a supply of new builds. Are new houses frowned upon there?

I'm anxious to get back to some deciduous trees. There aren't many in Montana. I used to love the fall colors in southern Ohio but I'm sure they don't hold a candle to NH.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Vegabern, I don't play or follow hockey a bit.... So maybe there is a lot more local hockey games around that I just have no idea exist. I see what the video is because I live that close to it, that I can't not see it...

That area is something more than 17 miles west and closer than 25 miles west.. From where I am, no matter which of 3 possible ways to go, all food shopping is 17 miles or more one way. The very closest being Center Harbor at 17 miles west.

However most often from here we go more than that south, and 2nd most often we go more than that north where N Conway is the larger shopping areas for anything made in China

If I live in Meredith It is likely I would do most food shopping in Tilton or Laconia, maybe Plymouth.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:26 AM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
Meredith is a well run town with a large tax base. Values are everything there bu they have made investments in infrastructure, like mentioned. Traffic is terrible in the summer as it is a major choke point for a couple of busy state roads, however not as bad as North Conway.

BTW, what does your husband do for the USFS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire