U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM

33 posts, read 17,564 times
Default Snow - Is it really that bad??

So I have been posting questions that you folks have been more than generous with responses.
Here is another one. I keep hearing snow.
Pertaining to the Monondock region and your personal observations.
How much snow accumulates generally. Does it stay on the ground all winter or does it snow, melt, then snow again. When does it start, when does it stop. Does it generally disrupt life. Is it any worse than western Mass. Is there snow on the ground right now
My family and I are moving irregardless to be near my wife's family. But - Honestly I don't like the snow
Been checking data and asking questions - Just wondering if it is that bad

Thanks

Last edited by Move on; 12-13-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,887,359 times
it varies, and winters these last few years have been unusual - so everything is kinda speculation. historically speaking, Monadnock is in the 'snow belt' which covers NH on a diagonal (concord is sorta the top edge, Milford is sorta the west edge, and everything south and east in that circle gets a different weather pattern - usually).

No, it probably isn't much different than western Mass. yes, it can pile up, but again it all depends on the weather patterns and whether there are unusual warm spells. Last year, from what I heard, the south got more snow than northern NH! go figure. I remember about 5 years ago, there was tons of snow, just piling up every coupla days before christmas - and then since then snow hasn't really been starting until jan or feb.

probably won't disrupt life too much - although it sounds like things have gotten sissier than when I went to school (we just had chains on the bus tires and still went to school even if it snowed, now they may actually cancel!). but people still have to get in to work anyway. now.. ice storms - that can disrupt things for a while if it knocks the power out for over a week again. that's why so many people now have generators!

so, 'that bad' depends on your frame of reference. compared to FL or CA: you betcha! and worse. compared to western mass, or MI or midwest... nah, you'll be fine.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM

2,660 posts, read 2,278,066 times
Some years you wonder if there will be any room to put it.... Not often. Other years you
don't worry and just live thru it. If your a skier it's great. If your'e a shoveler, not so much.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM

442 posts, read 481,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move on View Post
But - Honestly I don't like the snow
If you don't like snow, move to a city. The driveways are shorter and the roads are plowed/sanded promptly. If you go off the road you end up in someone's yard, not in a lonely ditch where you freeze to death.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM

968 posts, read 1,154,310 times
The city as stated above is your best bet.

If you move to more rural areas you will usually end up paying someone to plow your driveway and probably end up purchasing a snow blower.

I have two snow blowers as one usually breaks as soon as I begin to clear the snow.

Younger and heartier souls will just use the snow blower. And a couple of good shovels.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,330,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move on View Post
So I have been posting questions that you folks have been more than generous with responses.
Here is another one. I keep hearing snow.
Pertaining to the Monondock region and your personal observations.
How much snow accumulates generally. Does it stay on the ground all winter or does it snow, melt, then snow again. When does it start, when does it stop. Does it generally disrupt life. Is it any worse than western Mass. Is there snow on the ground right now
My family and I are moving irregardless to be near my wife's family. But - Honestly I don't like the snow
Been checking data and asking questions - Just wondering if it is that bad

Thanks
Depends on where you're coming from. I lived in the Monadnock region for 11 months and couldn't take it anymore and moved back to Florida.. The snow (that year) started a few days after Halloween and we moved back the second week in May and it snowed the night we left. Temps dipped below freezing frequently and our pipes froze a lot and we lost power once or twice...

For people who lived in that area it might have seemed like a normal winter but when the rubber on my tires and boots freeze solid that wasnt normal to me!!

These are my pics from Keene take between Dec and Jan

This one is my favorite this a bench in Robin Hood Park .. The second picture is the same bench and what's left after a few snow storms.. Simply the top corner..you can see where I had to walk through the snow tonged to it. By the end of winter kinds were riding sleds over where the bench used to exist it was buried under a few feet of snow ...

Old 12-13-2012, 05:06 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,330,919 times
Sorry for all the typos my IPad has remembered my 3 year olds gibberish so I hope you can under stand the post lo. Anyways I think it really depends on what you consider too cold and too much snow.. The monadnock region is the snow belt sooooooooo.....it's gonna snow..... A lot

Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 PM

but wasn't that the same winter about 5 years ago that I referred to (that hasn't been the same since)? and your house didn't have insulation, as I recall.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 AM

33,377 posts, read 28,007,444 times
Default Monadnock snow

I would drive over to Mason/Greenfield/New Ipswich after a snow storm just to find some roads covered with packed snow so I could practice slippery road driving. That area would retain snow after it had been plowed and salted away most other places. There is very pretty scenery after a snow. The Peterborough Diner is a great place for breakfast or lunch any time of year.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 AM

Greg, check your maps: Greenfield is NOT Greenville. and Mason/NI/Greenville are not in those blasted Delorme maps!

yes, there are some class VI roads that only get snow-packed, but the main roads through town (Rts 123 & 124) will be plowed just fine.

BTW, if you are going through that area, I'd suggest Nenni's Cafe in the NeWest 'Mall' in New Ipswich. truly home cooking at fair prices (don't see prices like that often). Only open breakfast & lunch though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire