Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,861,818 times

Advertisements

My wife changed her cell plan from a less expensive plan to a more expensive plan and is now getting less signal power than before. Basically useless.

As if Feburary 5th I will no longer support Verizon since it seems they don't care a bit about 7 year long customers. We see others in NH on Face Book are also leaving Verizon.

We left the phone itself with a branch office and they say the item is working correctly. We just live 4 miles and 1/10th from the closest tower and are roaming.

At this point we have to drive to with in 1 mile of the tower to answer any calls. To me this is unacceptable and so Verizon will be no more...

I am just curious about other people and their service..

At this point Verizon could give me a free phone and 5 years service and I would turn it down.

Dealing with them since Dec 6th and not having a working phone has cost me plenty..

We suspect they have cut power since we had bars we no longer get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,863,078 times
Verizon seems fine here.
Used Verizon for many years.

On a hunch. If all worked properly with old phone. Now does not work properly with new phone.
It sounds like the phone may have an issue.
Have to gone to the one (and only one) Verizon company store in NH in Nashua?
The rest of the stores are a franchise type stores.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,889,979 times
Mac, did she upgrade from a 3G to a 4G (smartphone) Droid or iphone? I have verizon and usually have coverage even when folks I am out with have none. If you have no service in areas that you previously did, it's likely that the antenna in the phone isn't as strong. I'm sure that there are folks here who will know MUCH more about this than I.....

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM

We are on a pre pay plan but this time it was for more money and unlimited service... The phone itself cost 300 bucks and is the type that slides to a side to expose a key board .... The old phone was traded in and is gone...

If i had a clue as to what would happen by moving up????? I would never have done so.

If I were to climb a tall pine tree in the yard i would be able to see the tower. We are to the north west and i have the idea these towers are a directional beam and it has been changed to go up or down Rt 16.

Still my GPS shows we are closer to the tower here where the phone is useless even out doors than it is from the store at Indian Mound in Ossipee where it works fine...... 4 bars there... 4.1 miles should be a easy 4 bars....

0 here. maybe 1 in the door yard.

The store people had the phone and were told to go use it for 3 days..... If i fix it it will be with a 6 pound sledge hammer on my 150 pound anvil! it will be fixed for sure if i do that.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,981,214 times
if you weren't on a pre-pay plan before, that might be the problem. the coverage maps are different for full plan vs pre-pay. I found that out last year when my pre-paid verizon couldn't make any calls. I checked into it and they said I was in 'borderline coverage area' and I'd have to go a mile or so up the road to get any bars. Once I ponied up and got a full plan, I can now make calls from my house. Only US Cellular has coverage out here, so I don't have tremendous choice.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
if you weren't on a pre-pay plan before, that might be the problem. the coverage maps are different for full plan vs pre-pay. I found that out last year when my pre-paid verizon couldn't make any calls. I checked into it and they said I was in 'borderline coverage area' and I'd have to go a mile or so up the road to get any bars. Once I ponied up and got a full plan, I can now make calls from my house. Only US Cellular has coverage out here, so I don't have tremendous choice.
No we had a 30 bucks a month pre pay and went to a 50 bucks plan...

It seems we are getting a run around which will end on or before Feb 5th. I'l just get a trac phone and use any old towers. Buy minutes and forget about the rest..

My wife is seeing other NH people on her face book getting done with Verizon too, so they must have done something.

I am not the brand loyal type for anything... I just do what works and when it won't, I cut the tie and move on.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,651,566 times
I have no problem with Verizon.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,981,214 times
Mac, check around with neighbors and see if anyone has a trac-phone that works in your area. My friend who drove up with me has a trac-phone that works fine in suburban MD... no bars around here until we got to Milford (well... maybe Wilton just barely). If you're in a marginal area, trac-phone won't get anything. If you want to leave Verizon, stop in a US Cellular store and see if they cover your area. seriously: the companies have different coverage maps for pre-pay and full plan. and just because someone has a tower doesn't mean you'll connect! been through all that myself.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM

There is 4 towers here 2 Verizon 2 US Cellular I think. I can't understand why I am in a straight line and can see the tower 4 miles off on Mt Nickerson, and not get a signal, since with a lesser phone and a lesser plan we did.

I know someone with the same phone but getting time to get them over here isn't working. If that phone doesn't work here then it's just the miserable phone.. If that phone does then it's our phone.

I wish my wife didn't trade in the old one, but it was and I would have done the same thing too.

There is just no sense paying when you get zip.. I am not about to drive 3 miles to just see if a robot called to see if we want to go on a vacation.

My wife was interested in contacting some companies about art she does. No sense trying if she can't take a call back.

I don't know anyone who has a trac phone... I know 'straight talk' phones work here.

My sons verizon works here too....

I don't want to have to be the service tech for something I know nothing about... This is why we left the damnned thing back in the store and told the manager to use it..

My fix is a 6 pound sledge hammer on a 150 pound anvil serious... If not for my wife i would have no phone at all.

I have never once used a cell phone that i could finish any conversation on one time yet...

Everyone sounds like a guppy in a fish bowl and all I ever hear is 'Can you hear me now?" And No I never can....

My wife has have a Verizon phone since the USA MC Tour back in 05 and that one never worked either all the way from NH to Cal and Back, so I am used to spending for a phone that won't do anything, but my patience is wearing thin.

Maybe i can use it to stir a Latte'

Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM

93 posts, read 166,562 times
Have you tried getting a replacement phone? It could be that you have a bad phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire