Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 12,436 times

Advertisements

I'm a Comcast bundler, meaning I have cable tv, internet and phone with Comcast. That also means I'm paying them around $200 a month. I've decided I don't want to do that anymore. I'm planning on getting rid of the phone and cable tv. I know we can get all of the local channels with an antenna and can watch movies with Hulu or Amazon Prime or whatever. My wife wants Fox News and I want ESPN and maybe The Walking Dead.

How is everyone else doing it? By the way I'm on the seacoast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I think something it up.....

We had a working verizon phone until we updated the plan which became more expensive and got a supposed better phone. That worked well for 2 days and quit. 6 weeks later we have no phone at all, and verzon has a 55 dollar credit we will never see back.

Later this week I might look into some other phone... Don't much care.

Then on the day we turned the phone in, hotmail would not load, the next day CD went down for 24 hours i guess, and now DISH tv won't work.

And there is a dispute abut whether or not the zipcode for Tamworth is in NH or maine and we want WMUR.

If Tamworth is in maine then that's another thing..... And i will move back into NH..

I wonder what the new governor will think when I tell her and the town they are not getting any taxes sonce Maine will have them instead if we don't get NH news.

Mostly i want the weather, and I can look out the window to see what Maine will have in one more hour....

BTW in maine today it will be mostly cloudy with 3 turkey in the doha'yad.Ahya'

Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
I've used an antenna in my attic(s) for the last 15 years. I never had cable in my adult life. I get all the Boston stations and WMUR in HD for free. My kids watch PBS and (mostly) stream Netflix.

It works great for us, but we're "quirky" people that we don't watch a lot of TV. We hate commercials and don't care about being up to date on the latest reality show. We aren't sports nuts either (all the Pats games are broadcast though). When we do watch TV, we mostly stream TV series on Netflix or the kids are watching a kids movie.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 AM

238 posts, read 315,326 times
"Cutting the cord" is something that more and more people are doing but it's typically not trivial and for some people who really like their sports it's not always feasible.

Some resources that might help:
Cut the cord News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip - Lifehacker
r/cordcutters

Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
We have Comcast and HATE it but it is about the only game in town for us.

We used to have cable but dumped it the day the kids moved out and now have only the unreliable internet and email. They keep trying to sell us their phone services but the last thing we want is to have unreliable internet AND telephone. They did try to sneak their cable back in when we made a change to our services despite us telling them we don't want their cable. I put a stop to that as soon as I caught their antics in the bill. Aside from their internet being catch as catch can with frequent problems I have learned that thay have unreliable spam filters which send your incoming mail into THEIR trash can so you are unaware of people trying to contact you via email. Comcast is as bad as a oh hell with their faulty algorithms. And when you call customer service to ask for help, they tell you that you as a customer cannot whitelist anyone. THEY decide what they will withhold from you for "your protection." And then they try to upsell you to a better grade of service so maybe if you pay more they might deliver reliable service. I DON'T THINK SO. If you can't do the basic stuff right I ain't gonna pay you more to do the harder stuff wrong too.

We have an antenna which lets us get a few channels but like avlis13013 we are not big TV watchers. We do get a lot of our entertainment from Netflix. We get local and regional news from TV but national and wolrd from the internet. Landline phone is Fairpoint and we are too far from civilization to get cell phone coverage at the house.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM

221 posts, read 484,144 times
Comcast but better than Fair Point (a complete joke...ADSL? Wow...hello 90's). We use them for our business too.

Yes it's expensive but no choice but as soon as Sprint gets the 4G in the area I'm out. At least we can tether and stream all we want. At least for now in theory.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Antena in the attic sounds good to me. All of these outfits are total rip offs.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Comcast but better than Fair Point (a complete joke...ADSL? Wow...hello 90's). We use them for our business too.

Yes it's expensive but no choice but as soon as Sprint gets the 4G in the area I'm out. At least we can tether and stream all we want. At least for now in theory.
I have Fairpoint DSL and get 2.47Mbps down and .73Mbps up for $35/mo. Not blazing fast but not severely limiting for us either. Importantly, it's always been up after storms take out neighbor's Comcast.

I like your 4G comment. I'll keep my eye on that.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
For the home phone I have lingo.com which costs $200 for the entire year. Will dump that soon as it is not used often... Stuck with Comcast for cable TV and internet. $136 per month. Would love to kill CATV as well...

Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Wow, I didn't think you could pick up anything with an antenna anymore since everything went digital. I'll have to give that a try. I haven't had cable tv in a long time and the only things I miss are live football and the local news.
We usually stream Netflix, watch youtube streamed from the bluray player or go to stream-tv.me for all our other shows. We have been able to pick up Game of Thrones, Dexter, Walking Dead, etc. from their site. Of course I probably have just jinxed myself by putting that in print!
Had bundled service with Comcast in Washington state and always had issues with my phone. Phone would ring for a week but I wouldn't notice because most people use my cell phone. Then I would go to check messages and find I had no dial tone. Happened all the time and I don't really know why. Now I just use cell phone even though reception at home is spotty. It's annoying but not half as annoying as Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire