Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug1980 View Post
Amen, is it mostly in the Portsmouth/Seacoast area or is it more widespread than that? What's it like outside of Manchester/Concord?
I shoot and blow stuff up in my yard, my neighbors and my local PD have no issues. They even want to shoot my stuff.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
Some people "get it'

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/opini...round-law.html

Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
This is the wrong argument.
Banning AK-47's or AR-15's makes no difference in the overall argument.

The real discussion should be about a national registry of all purchases.

This will or can be the beginning of the confiscation if it ever comes.

It is the national registry that all should be upset about. Not the bannning of certain rifles.

The national registry will not affect those who own any M16 or AK47 civilian version. BUT when it comes time to sell or transfer to a family member - those will enter a database - for confiscation later on.

When you purchase any legal firearm from a dealer - or transfer firearm to a friend - a background check is proposed for all. Right now the feds cannot by law keep this information. If the new law allows the feds to keep this information - that is - in effect - a national registry. It is this proposed national registry that all should be concerned about. Not the banning of some civilian/military style rifles.
No to both........ If what I own now I simply refuse to register... Just will ignore the law if it becomes law. And if there is any ban or confiscation later on, I will ignore that too.

Not only that but since the NH CONS of which I happen to have 2 copies of mimics the federal Cons almost exactly I will in fact work towards taking my Govt Back..

I will be demanding the arrest and trials of the Traitors.. I will demand they have their day in a court of law...

I will demand they receive capitol punishment which is death by hanging if convicted.

The Govt did not give us these Rights, a higher power called the creator did. Just what is it these people don't understand about Shall Not Be Infringed?

They may try to take my rights... But someone will die trying...... That is WHY we have the 2nd....

Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Sadly, I don't think it will even matter what NH voters think as the Feds are going to try to push in new federal laws. There is a lot of support in other areas of the country to do away with anything that doesn't look like an early century hunting rifle and clips that hold more than 7 rounds. Most do not understand the resistance to registration. Anyone who questions the government's need to have this info or feels the need for an assault rifle (although I am not sure that they really know what this is) is considered an extremist. I have angered many a friend from the west coast by debating any of this with them - and Washington is a lot more gun friendly than California and Oregon. When any Big Brother type concerns come up I am told that I have been watching too many conspiracy theory movies. Sgthoskins brought up 1938 Germany, but if I remember correctly even some parts of Australia used registration data to confiscate guns that had been previously bought legally and that has been within the past 10 years.

I know people just want to keep their children safe and anytime something horrible like this happens we want to run out and do something. I think most legislation at this point would be a kneejerk reaction and unlikely to make any sort of difference. Crazy is still going to be crazy. Gun or no gun. Frankly I would rather have the duty of keeping my family safe. Maybe the government can spend a little more time worrying about what I have no control over, like the national deficit.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
I have this incredible urge now to go and buy some 30-round magazines. I'm sure British Customs would confiscate them though. I hope I can still get some in a couple years when I'm back in NH for good.

Heck, I hope I can get an AR-15 in a couple of years.

Can't get anything now in the de-armed state of England. I believe where I live now is what the "progressives" want for us in the states.

When that zombie apocalypse hits, the Brits are going to be in big trouble. They'll be swatting broomsticks at them...

Old 01-25-2013, 02:08 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I have no problem with people owning guns for hunting, personal protection, etc. (e.g. I honestly have no problem at all with someone shooting a burglar who broke into their home -- my academic colleagues would be appalled at me!), but I still don't see the need for anyone to own assault rifles as I understand the term. I don't mean to start a debate, but could someone give me their reasoning on that?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have no problem with people owning guns for hunting, personal protection, etc. (e.g. I honestly have no problem at all with someone shooting a burglar who broke into their home -- my academic colleagues would be appalled at me!), but I still don't see the need for anyone to own assault rifles as I understand the term. I don't mean to start a debate, but could someone give me their reasoning on that?
My question to you would be, how do you understand the term "assault rifle"?
It is already illegal for a US citizen to own an actual assault rifle (using it's definition and not what people think it is).

If the below picture is your definition you have some research to do

Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
My understanding is that an "assault rifle" is an automatic weapon, e.g. many many many shots right after the other (like what I think used to be called a machine gun?). Of course I could be wrong about this -- I've seen different definitions.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
My understanding is that an "assault rifle" is an automatic weapon, e.g. many many many shots right after the other (like what I think used to be called a machine gun?). Of course I could be wrong about this -- I've seen different definitions.
That's one of it's main defining characteristics, fully automatic, you pull and hold the trigger and it fires until the magazine is empty. Civilians in the US can't legally own one, so it's curious that everyone wants to ban something no one can own to begin with.

The clueless folk will take one look at the pic I posted and demand it be banned on looks alone, it's a scary assault rifle! Yet no one in their right mind would select it to go on a killing spree as the chances that you'll kill anyone with it are pretty slim as it's a .22, and there lies the problem, everyone crying for a ban on assault weapons doesn't actually have a clue what an assault weapon is.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
ok, think of it like this: some people admire the engineering involved and consider them 'cool' things to own and fun to target shoot or hunt with (as appropriate). 'Need' has nothing to do with anything. Why do people 'need' expensive, fancy, fast cars when you can't legally drive faster than 55/70mph anyway? Why collect tiny little spoons that have no use? why have big fabric/craft stashes of stuff you likely won't use but want to have anyway "just in case"? why punish people who have done nothing wrong and legally purchased whatever gun for their collection because some wacko did something horrible? we don't ban cars or alcohol because some people drive drunk (which is illegal).

the wackos will find a way to get what they want whether it's legal or not. legalities have never stopped a criminal. it doesn't even make it that much more difficult (hence drug & prostitution crimes in spite of both being illegal).

2 new voters in the state for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire