Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 12,298 times

Advertisements

Hi al, i'm an International student here in NH and i have an Q regarding car registration and license. i have been driving for a year with my international license. i got pulled over a month after my registration expired the cop give me a ticket for driving unregistered car. anyway i paid online for the renewal but didnt get the tags and when i called city hall days later they asked me to get a NH license coz they cant issue the tags without the license. i went to the DMV and they said they cant issue me a license coz my I-20 will expired in less than 6 months. so my car and international license too is revoked now. i cant renew my registration and i cant get a license, cant drive my car too. so plz if there is anyone who can help , advice, suggestions.. anything ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Did you explain your situation to the DMV and ask them exactly what you should do? If a clerk can't answer you, ask for a supervisor. SOMEONE must know, although it seems more likely that you'd get an answer from a local person in front of you than on an Internet forum.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,932 times
You should read this: International Students - Driving in New Hampshire | SNHU

and this: http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/dmv_factsheet.pdf

From the SNHU site: "Can I drive in New Hampshire?
If you have both an international driving permit and a valid driver's license from your home country; you may drive in New Hampshire for your first sixty days."

You've been driving on an expired license for 10 months or so - this likely adds to your problems.

From the Ice link, bottom of page 2:

"Several states require that a nonimmigrant have at least six months left on the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status," . . . to be eligible for a driver’s license. Either consult with the state or territory’s DMV or visit its website to see if this is a requirement."

Since New Hampshire is one of those states, and you have already contacted the DMV and gotten their answer, you probably need to do this:

From the Ice link, bottom of page 9:

"Problem Resolution Requests

If an F, M or J nonimmigrant applies for a driver’s license or ID and officials at the DMV are unable to issue a product, the DSO or RO should e-mail SEVP (dmvssa.sevp@ice.dhs.gov) for assistance."
("DSOs" are "designated school officials" and "ROs" are "responsible officers.") Instructions of how to proceed then follow.

This seems to be your best bet at the moment.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,039 times
Did you go to the DMV in Concord? That's the only one that can help you.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 AM

well first i didnt know that the registration expired on date of my birth. plus it took me 2 months to get my new financial guarantee for my scholarship and i had to have so i can renew my I-20 but i got it late and made issuing a license kind of tough. Very helpful advice thu, really appreciated yall.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 AM

I actually went to the DMV and city hall. the DMV told me that they only can issue a license with an i-20 less than 6 months for people who have F2 or B1 visa bu i have an F1. so they advised me to contact city hall and i did. they told me that they can not do anything for me it is the law of the state. i finally asked the international service office at my school they told me they cant do anything. So i thought of selling the car to my friend so he can register it under his name and then i can buy it from him once the car is registered. but im worried that city hall will refuse to register my car again once i buy it back. and im also worry that this wont be legal. So again if anyone knows about the law regarding this matter plz share , much appreciated )

Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikellengo View Post
...So i thought of selling the car to my friend so he can register it under his name and then i can buy it from him once the car is registered. but im worried that city hall will refuse to register my car again once i buy it back. and im also worry that this wont be legal. So again if anyone knows about the law regarding this matter plz share , much appreciated )
Three things:

* Your situation won't be different if you sell the car to a friend and buy it back again, but you make no other change to your circumstance.

* You don't need a DMV id or license to register a car: A car registration pertains to owing a car. You only need proof of residence to register the car in your town. A lease agreement showing you reside in the town suffices. Maybe take a utility bill or a bank statement in your name (and showing your address) to bolster your case. Don't complicate things by discussing your license issues at the town hall.

* You might own and register a car, but obviously, without a driver license, you won't be able drive that/any car. Visit the Concord DMV to sort out your license issue. Don't waste time at any other DMV or any town hall.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:53 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,039 times
All the instructions are here: DMV Non-US Citizen Licensing. I didn't see that the I-20 needed to have more than 6 mo. left on it, but you can call and ask.

Again, only the Concord DMV can help you.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 PM

I went to city hall ask them to renew my registration they asked me for my name i gave it to them and they asked me if i get NH license and asked me for the number of the license. she said i cant renew ur registration unless i got my NH license and the lady said that i had to get it 60 days after registering the car and i didnt know that. in the other hand, i got pulled over twice and both times when i gave them my international or home country license they were ok with it , they never told me to get a NH license. both incidents happend 4 months or more after i register my car, so i dont think that the 60 days to get my NH license is something i have to do to drive but its only for registering purposes im guessing. coz i can rent a car i can drive my friends car but not mine coz of the expired registration, and that sux honestly. and i went to the DMV they told me that they cant do anything for me coz my i-20 will expire in less than 6 months and my visa type is not in the exception list, my visa have to be an F2 or B1 so they can exempt me from the 6 months rule for F1 type visa.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post

* You don't need a DMV id or license to register a car: A car registration pertains to owing a car. You only need proof of residence to register the car in your town. A lease agreement showing you reside in the town suffices. Maybe take a utility bill or a bank statement in your name (and showing your address) to bolster your case. Don't complicate things by discussing your license issues at the town hall.

* You might own and register a car, but obviously, without a driver license, you won't be able drive that/any car. Visit the Concord DMV to sort out your license issue. Don't waste time at any other DMV or any town hall.
it is a registration renwel, not first time registration.first time, city hall asked me for my international license and prove of residency .but when i want to renew it like im trying right now, i have to get NH license..at least that what the lady told me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire