U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 03:15 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,702,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca0083 View Post
Which section of the chapter is the rule located? Is this strictly for a 2 lane road in which the person in front of you is waiting to turn left? I'll be moving up there next month and would like to know what the rule says...I don't want to be the person everyone is honking at!
Yes, Becca, that is what it is for. You will find that most roads and highways, with the exception of what I still think of as "freeways" (93, 95, 89, eastern part of 101), are all two lanes. Many of these have paved shoulders that are wide enough to let a car pass on the right. This is a video taken of a loop around Londonderry and Derry:

A Trip Around Town - YouTube

The first 35 seconds or so are from Mammoth Road south where you can see the wide shoulder - this is where people are likely to pass on the right, more so than in some of the streets later in the video. At 1:43, our camera person decides to stop behind the car turning left, but most people would pass them on the right, although not in winter when there are snowbanks like in this video.

I also found this confusing when I first moved here but do it all the time now. Although I think it is safer than a whole line of cars stopping on a highway, I also find it dangerous in a lot of situations. Some people wait until the last possible instant to pass, so that cars following closely behind don't see the car stopped in the roadway until nearly too late to swerve over. If there is a line of cars behind them, as there very often is, and many of them are traveling at high rates of speed and not leaving much stopping distance between them and other cars, it can be terrifying for the person stopped waiting to turn left. I personally have gotten to the point where I will actually drive out of my way to avoid making left turns on roads where I have had this occur too often, and had way too many close calls. This is true especially on Rt. 102 in Londonderry, where the speed limit is 55 and in the late afternoon you are driving right into the sun - people go a lot faster than 55 and are generally in a "pack" after having been stopped at an intersection at Mammoth Road - very scary.

Here is the pertinent language in the link that was provided:

"265:19 When Overtaking on the Right is Permitted. – The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
I. When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
II. Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for 2 or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle;
III. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,029,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Warning! If you are stopped and signaling for a left turn TURN LEFT! Deciding to go straight could result in a collision.
The second part of this rule of thumb, if you aren't paying attention and end up stopped behind a left turning car, do not pull right to go around if cars are coming up behind you, you will likely get hit. Can't count how many times idiots do this, or they are making a left turn along with the guy in front of them but don't use a turn signal, so you have no idea what their plans are

Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 AM

39 posts, read 63,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
What is dangerous about going around someone stopped?
Seriously? Have you ever noticed that rate of speed most people are running when goining around someone turning? Never mind the fact that most of them wait until the last second to move over to go around.......leaves very little reaction time for the person behind them.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca0083 View Post
Which section of the chapter is the rule located? Is this strictly for a 2 lane road in which the person in front of you is waiting to turn left? I'll be moving up there next month and would like to know what the rule says...I don't want to be the person everyone is honking at!

265:19

Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
How is this dangerous? i do this ALL THE TIME. Clearly I look to see if there are people in the shoulder and check to make sure I can fit my entire car on the pavement when doing this, I donít see how this is an issue, why should I sit there and wait for this guy to get an opening in traffic when I can safely go around him?

What I find to be more dangerous is the over courteous drivers who stop to let people in to moving traffic forcing everyone behind them to jack up their breaks unexpectedly because someone decided to be nice and let someone in, meanwhile being inconsiderate to all the people behind them who actually have the right away...

You must be originally from Mass

Old 04-26-2013, 07:59 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,812,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
No but I lived there for 4 years while going to college and a few years afterwards. picked up some aggresive driving habits that wont go away!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,844,129 times

No, Mass people will pass you on the right shoulder on the interstate when you are driving the speed limit. Have had this happen just south of WRJ on I-91(in Vermont). It was a pickup with Mass plates. Go to Mass and you will see posted on their highways (or used to be posted) "No Driving On Shoulder". They have to be told not to do what is common sense to the rest of us. (I know that you are just joking by the way)

Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,812,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post

No, Mass people will pass you on the right shoulder on the interstate when you are driving the speed limit. Have had this happen just south of WRJ on I-91(in Vermont). It was a pickup with Mass plates. Go to Mass and you will see posted on their highways (or used to be posted) "No Driving On Shoulder". They have to be told not to do what is common sense to the rest of us. (I know that you are just joking by the way)

I too have had this happen to me on 93 south in NH, Mass plates bombs around traffic in the shoulder....

The reason they need those signs in Mass, is because it actually IS LEGAL to drive in the shoulders on 93 north of boston during rush hour..

Old 04-26-2013, 02:26 PM

31 posts, read 45,026 times
Yes, this was -- and still is -- very confusing to us, too. We've been here almost 6 years now, and I'm starting to get used to it, but there's a huge danger when I'm trying to make a left turn at an intersection (especially when this intersection doesn't have a traffic signal) when the driver in the oncoming lane is also trying to make a left! It's not always possible to clearly see the cars who are passing the oncoming-turning car on its right. To avoid this, I try to wave the oncoming driver/turner to position himself behind me in the oncoming lane, so that he makes his left behind me. The other driver doesn't always comply, and it creates a tense, white-knuckle situation.

OT: Before we moved to the great state of NH, I received tremendous help from the wonderful people on this board. (I've since changed my user name.) Thanks again to you all. My family and I love it here, and you helped make our transition much easier.

But I still can't bring myself to pass on the shoulder.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM

101 posts, read 165,333 times
Another dangerous situation: two cars coming in opposite directions both turning left but each waiting for the other to slow down and actually MAKE that left turn -- suddenly someone passes one of the cars on the shoulder because they don't see the other car planning to turn = the turning car is hit broadside. A friend of mine almost died in that accident, in Michigan, where it IS illegal to pass on the shoulder - likely to prevent this type of death. Slow down NH - what is your hurry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire