U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 AM

484 posts, read 1,058,044 times

Advertisements

In southern NH many speed limits are absurdly low for the design of the roads.

While crawling along at 35mph Continental Blvd in Merrimack the other day, I imagined the state offering a "Speedy Pass". For $xxxx.xx and maybe an advanced driving class, the state gives me a pass I display on the my car. I am immune to speeding tickets. In return, the state tracks and logs my speed and whereabouts. If they find me driving recklessly, they send me a fine and revoke my Speedy Pass. This doesn't to allow racing or Autobahn stuff, just allows speeds safe for the car and the road. We should be able to go 50MPH on Continental and 40MPH on 101A without getting a fine and blemished record. I'd pay good $ for this.

Last summer we visited the Catskills where all the posted speed limits seemed to be 55. It was pretty surprising considering how twisty those roads were. I don't think I broke the posted speed limit at all even though I'm usually 5-10mph over the limits here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,746,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post

While crawling along at 35mph Continental Blvd in Merrimack the other day, I imagined the state offering a "Speedy Pass". For $xxxx.xx and maybe an advanced driving class, the state gives me a pass I display on the my car. I am immune to speeding tickets. In return, the state tracks and logs my speed and whereabouts. If they find me driving recklessly, they send me a fine and revoke my Speedy Pass. This doesn't to allow racing or Autobahn stuff, just allows speeds safe for the car and the road. We should be able to go 50MPH on Continental and 40MPH on 101A without getting a fine and blemished record. I'd pay good $ for this.

Last summer we visited the Catskills where all the posted speed limits seemed to be 55. It was pretty surprising considering how twisty those roads were. I don't think I broke the posted speed limit at all even though I'm usually 5-10mph over the limits here.

Thats funny because i have too thought of having something similiar (an advanced driving license that gives you a little more flexibility)

I have also noticed speed limits on similar roads are higher in different states, even states surrounding NH such as VT and MA definitely have higher limits on very similar type roads, the kicker here is that people actually drive below the speed limit on roads in NH that I feel already have lower speed limits then I think is necessary

(the wife thinks Iím nuts, but at least Iím not alone!)
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM

485 posts, read 686,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
What I love about the area we live is how often the speed limit changes. If I leave my house on Bradford Road, get on 103 up to the 11 intersection and bear right towards Sunapee, and then take 11 all the way to Hannaford's in New London, I will have traveled 12 miles. During those 12 miles, the speed limit switches between 25, 30, 35, 40, and 50 13 different times. So awesome.

edit *just a hint of sarcasm*.

-Mike

Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,746,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
What I love about the area we live is how often the speed limit changes. If I leave my house on Bradford Road, get on 103 up to the 11 intersection and bear right towards Sunapee, and then take 11 all the way to Hannaford's in New London, I will have traveled 12 miles. During those 12 miles, the speed limit switches between 25, 30, 35, 40, and 50 13 different times. So awesome.

edit *just a hint of sarcasm*.

-Mike
The only thing good about that is its obvious where your going to find a cop sitting, when the speed limit drops from 50 to 25, 9/10 times there is a cop sitting there with a radar gun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire