Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:12 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,541,494 times

Advertisements

I envision the look in SE NH as being very Ethel Kennedy. Wrong? Right?
Not like Texas where they slap it on from an early age (and look so fabulous that Yankee men go crazy!), but more like Chicago where being "natural" is more highly prized. True? Not true?
Also, what are your better women's clothing stores in the Portsmouth area?
The Boston area?
Or do I just get an L.L. Bean catalog and start charging?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 PM

951 posts, read 1,642,041 times
I'm not an expert in this field by any means, but most women don't gob it on up here. As a gentleman, I prefer the natural look with just a hint. Judging from what I have seen, I don't think women go for the doll look all that much. Yes, there are some, but most don't.

Love the Bean!! They have the best stuff. You pay more, but it lasts for years. They have outlet stores up here, so sometimes you can get stuff for a lot less.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,301,065 times
NH really doesn't have women's better clothing stores-at least I have not found any. You need to go to one of the malls in Boston that have Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, etc. Chestnut Hill Mall, Burlington Mall, etc.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:10 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,535,630 times
North Conway - Outlet Mall... remember no sales tax Ok, it's a drive, but a really nice one at that!

Then my cheap-O self prefers Penney's & I like the Mall of NH in Manchester.

List of malls:
New Hampshire (NH) Malls and Shopping Centers

I think the look is more "natural" in NH, & more on the classic conservative side (if that makes sense)... There's not the carbon copy bling like Cali or the "laid back" look, which some people take too far...ok did you just roll out of bed & throw on the flip flops?

Hope this helps.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,909,818 times
In agreement here Tootsie... the look is pretty casual for the most part. Maybe not SoCal flipflop casual, but jeans, khakis, capris, etc. Even in real estate, I tend to be fairly casual, sometimes nice jeans and a good blazer works. Makeup and hair, definitely not that "overdone" look that seems to be the stereotype for Texan and Southern women.

Recomendations I agree with posters above: LL Bean, lasts for years, when it breaks or wears out, RETURN IT no questions asked. NOBODY stands behind products like that. Tons of outlet stores just over the Maine border, Kittery has all the shopping you could want: The Kittery Outlets Someone mentioned heading to North Conway bonus there is that the shopping is tax-free

Fox Run mall in Newington is probably the closest to both Exeter and Portsmouth: Welcome to Fox Run Mall (http://www.shopfoxrunmall.com/go/dirlisting.cfm?fl=all - broken link) and has all the typical mall stores... Lots of private boutique-type stores in Portsmouth and Newburyport MA (you would love Newburyport!!) where you can spend more on one outfit than I make in one commission not completely kidding... I'll get you some names of stores later on.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,942,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
In agreement here Tootsie... the look is pretty casual for the most part. Maybe not SoCal flipflop casual, but jeans, khakis, capris, etc. Even in real estate, I tend to be fairly casual, sometimes nice jeans and a good blazer works. Makeup and hair, definitely not that "overdone" look that seems to be the stereotype for Texan and Southern women.

Recomendations I agree with posters above: LL Bean, lasts for years, when it breaks or wears out, RETURN IT no questions asked. NOBODY stands behind products like that. Tons of outlet stores just over the Maine border, Kittery has all the shopping you could want: The Kittery Outlets Someone mentioned heading to North Conway bonus there is that the shopping is tax-free

Fox Run mall in Newington is probably the closest to both Exeter and Portsmouth: Welcome to Fox Run Mall (http://www.shopfoxrunmall.com/go/dirlisting.cfm?fl=all - broken link) and has all the typical mall stores... Lots of private boutique-type stores in Portsmouth and Newburyport MA (you would love Newburyport!!) where you can spend more on one outfit than I make in one commission not completely kidding... I'll get you some names of stores later on.
Both of those malls look really nice. When I showed my daughter the Fox Run Mall, she was all excited, they have almost all her stores she shops at out here in Cali, me too for that matter. Now I dont have to worry about shopping, just the driving to get to them..lol. How far is Newington from Keene? Isnt there a Mall in Keene too?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 AM

639 posts, read 3,521,803 times
The Colony Mill stores are in Keene:

Stores located at The Colony Mill Marketplace: Keene, NH (http://www.colonymill.com/stores.html - broken link)

The Mall of NH is a Simon Mall, located in Manchester, GO there if you get the chance, it's a good Mall.

Simon Malls | More Choices — Mall of New Hampshire Information, Mall of New Hampshire Gift Cards

ANY time you see "Simon Mall" in New England GO there because they're usually extremely good Malls. Also I mean that they have a lot of the "good" trendy stores you could ever imagine and the beauty of the Simon Malls? Theyre all under one roof. No having to jump in to the car or walk a mile to the next store or wherever you needed to go or wanted to go. They're all also under one huge complex, and when you see a Simon Mall any where else around New England GO there because they know what they're doing with Malls and for the consumers, like us! The "Simon Malls" are everywhere except on the seacoast of NH unfortunately, some day may be, but not right now, which is a shame. The Foxrun Mall is independantly owned and NOT like the Simon Malls at all. Close, but sorry no cigar in my book!!

For a good pizza while you're busy shopping! They have a Bertucci's at the Mall of NH, it's a really great pizza bistro/cafe for lunch or dinner (actually any time!). They have the most fantastic pizza here, so stop in some day when you're at that Mall of NH and have lunch or dinner here to see what I mean about it. We're meeting my niece there this weekend, as a matter of fact. That is, IF she can tear herself away from studying!

NH women are casual, but nice casual! Okay, to be honest with you? Not that much make up if you know what I mean? They don't need to pile it on and usually won't at ALL. Yes, there's a lot of a la naturals living up through here and very all American looking and extremely healthy & outdoorsy because they're busy being outdoors! Which is a good thing; don't you think?? I myself can't deal with a lot of that makeup nonsense either, it can get a little out of hand! The makeup professionals at the make up counters in the department stores go RIGHT out of their minds with a lot of us because we do our own thing I guess when it comes to makeup and they want us to buy this and buy that because they probably work on commission or something! NH women don't listen to one word they say, a lot of times! They definitely do their own thing when it comes to this important matter on THEIR hand, see that? It's NOT one of our top 10 things to worry about!!! One thing that I DO like about living here? There's no need to have the latest designer pocketbooks or anything like that, you're going to probably notice that right away! When I lived in Boston, we all HAD to have the latest bags, the latest winter coats and the latest boots. Well, that's NOT going to happen up through here! Get used to L.L. Bean and all that! They would rather not deal with that other nonsense at all, to tell you the truth and when you move here? You'll see what I'm talking about! A lot of women will use their pockets in their jeans instead of a purse, a lot of times, OR you'll see them with this little tiny tiny thing of a purse that you can hardly see and they throw it over their shoulder or just carry it. They're definitely not in to anything too "ostentasious", if you know what I mean! I think you're going to really like it here quite a lot, once you get used to it!

Living on the seacoast we can either go to Foxrun Mall in Newington, NH. or we run up to any one of the TJ Maxx's or Marshall's for a lot of bargains! Lately we've been going to the Kittery Outlets in Kittery, ME. to the Coldwater Creek Outlet and the Liz for petites and also the Liz for Women shops. There sales have been amazing in the last several months at all of these stores!

Some day soon when you get settled in Keene, get yourself over to Bedford, NH., because they have a HOME GOODS there, that's JUST awesome. We love that one, it's definitely a "good one!" There's also a Marshall's at the Bedford Mall, I'm telling you, LOOK for it, because it's one of the biggest ones in the state; it's another fabulous store to shop in; quite a lot of name brands and good quality clothes for every one in your family including yourself at pretty reasonable prices. You'd like this Mall, well it's basically good for the Marshall's & Linens & Things, that's about it, GO there some day though, you'll like them! Also, there's a HOME GOODS which isn't far from this Bedford Mall Here's the address for the HOME GOODS in Bedford:
9 Kilton Rd
Bedford, NH 03110
(603) 622-3397

Here's directions from Keene for this whole area of stores!

From the Western NH area (Keene/Milford)
Head East on Route 101 until you reach the lights at
the junction of 101 and 114. Turn right at this intersection
(highway sign reads, "101E/3/293/Everett Turnpike/Manchester Airport").
Take the next right - the exit ramp marked "Rte 3."
At the end of the ramp, turn left onto Meetinghouse Road,
then left again at lights, onto South River Road.
Pass through the lights at Macy's (on your right).
At the next set of lights take a right into the Bedford Mall.

We will have you completely and totally ALL New Hampshire'd out around here, in no time! You'll be looking like one of 'em yet!

In through Portsmouth, NH's downtown area they have quite a lot of unique upscale boutiques and shops. They can be expensive, but SO different and especially good if you have to go somewhere really important or a special event, for a wedding or anything like that? Check out Madeline's Daughter! WHAT a store for events such as weddings, proms or anything like that. It's got some stunning, different outfits:

Madeleine's Daughter Bridal Shop

Another good place to shop is in Newburyport, MA. too. Same thing, quite a lot of unique upscale boutiques. Lots of beautiful higher quality type clothes at either city to tell you the truth.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask us, I'm sure I've missed a few; these are just some of the places we like and where we hit when we want to do some serious shopping!

YES to L.L. Bean of course! Talbot's too is wonderful. Go online and you'll see all their locations around the state!

One last place that I think you'll really like. Finally, finally the state of New Hampshire got a CHICO's! I go to the one in Andover and the North Shore Mall all the time and have been shopping there for the last 4 years. If you go to Concord at all, look for this wonderful store, it's a gem, believe me:
Welcome to Chico's - Home
270 Loudon Rd
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 224-4421

Good luck shopping!

I forgot, if you sew? GO to the Exeter Hankerchief Shop over in Exeter, NH. What fabulous material for clothes, for your chairs, couches or anything you wanted to cover. The most beautiful material you ever saw:

Exeter Handkerchief Company - Exeter, NH - Home

North Conway has the outlets and so doesn't Kittery, Maine. North Conway is tax free shopping. Kittery isn't, but it's convenient when you are near there to stop by! It's fun having the best of all these options. You'll find the Keene area will be quite nice for shopping I bet. There's a lot of unique shops like Newburyport, MA and Portsmouth, NH has, so investigate through there when you get settled and let us know what you find!

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:45 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,942,860 times
Wow, thank you CityGirl!!! I appreciate all the info. That will be one of the fun things for sure when we move there. To find all the places to shop ;~). As far as the make-up, I dont really wear much at all. I dont like all that stuff on my face...Although being 45, lol, I could probably use some . I am telling you, the more and more I read and hear about NH, I know we are going to be very happy there. My family is soo excited to be moving there. I will for sure let you all know what wonderful stores we find.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:54 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,541,494 times
Sounds like Chicago conservative when it comes to the makeup. They often wear so little, I am not sure if they have any on. Big difference from Texas where you are expected to slap on a couple coats and look beautiful just running to the store...ewwww...I was just too lazy for that, I admit.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,613,550 times
Too much make up just freezes and flakes off during the winter cold and melts and drips during the summer. In the spring and fall the make up stays in place but weather is so wonderful nobody notices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire