Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:11 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times

Advertisements

4% on what? Where did you get the 6% number? NH has a a 5% tax on interest and dividend income of more than $2,400 annually ($4,800 for joint filers).

My problem is that I would also be free of income if I lived in Wyoming. I recently convinced my (technology) employer to open an office in New Hampshire; there is no way I could have convinced them to open an office in Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:42 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
While I generally agree with the free staters libertarian philosophy it drives me up a wall when they refer to NH as "the shire." Really, it makes me want to punch them in the face.
Ha ha ha...

Oh, and their currency is something like "Shire Silver."

Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM

324 posts, read 714,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
My problem is that I would also be free of income if I lived in Wyoming. I recently convinced my (technology) employer to open an office in New Hampshire; there is no way I could have convinced them to open an office in Wyoming.
Your company would have saved millions by opening an office in Wyoming:
- No income tax,
- No corp tax,
- Lower cost of living - electricity cost one of the lowest in the western US - hydro power
- Property taxes figured at 9.5% of assessment x millage rate (ie $1000 on a 110k home or land)
- Skilled local workforce (many from oilfield to retail workers)
- Low workmen's comp rates
- High quality of education
- Over 300 days of sunshine - few homes have need of a/c
- High elevation for 80% of the state
- Five grades of gasoline - produced in Wyoming
- Low, but not the lowest, auto insurance rates

But they chose New Hampshire. How's that high cost of living working out for you? When was the last time you saw the sun for more than 8 hours?

I lived and worked there for 12 years in the oil patch. Everyday was a great one. We only moved north because of better (inside) jobs, but we will be back in Wyoming next year to retire.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 AM

37 posts, read 77,999 times
I am a Conservative (the less government, the better) and I don't really care what other people do on their side of the stone wall, as long as they don't force it on me. I became interested in the FSP a few years ago because at surface level, we share many of the same views. After a while, I decided that they weren't worth my time. It is a group that largely lives for civil disobedience, and takes things to an extreme. I am a big 2nd amendment supporter, but I don't feel the need to walk down the street with an AR-15 slung across my back, just because I can. I found the group to be primarily interested in Marijuana legalization, which I could care less about. They do cause a stir in the Keene area from time to time, but to be fair, they do make some valid points. I do think that they have a streak of intolerance. If you disagree with them on most anything, you are villified in short order. There is a guy on youtube that is pretty funny, Ridley is his name I think, that is a Free-stater. All in all, I don't think they make much of an impact, unless you live in Keene, or happen to be around the Capitol when they are protesting something.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
As I said, I would also be free of income if I lived in Wyoming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Your company would have saved millions by opening an office in Wyoming...
Millions? You overestimate my business; nationwide our gross revenue is under $100 million.

In Wyoming, we would have no customers and no experienced technology experts to hire. Sounds great.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
As I said, I would also be free of income if I lived in Wyoming. Millions? You overestimate my business; nationwide our gross revenue is under $100 million. In Wyoming, we would have no customers and no experienced technology experts to hire. Sounds great.
Didn't you say your company was technology? Everything is done on high speed dsl or fibre optics these days. One click - over your voip is Sweden and another click - with your supplier in Japan or Taiwan. This is the high tech corridor. The Univ of Wyoming excels in this field.

http://www.manta.com/mb_43_G4_51/inf...nology/wyoming

WTBC | Wyoming Technology Business Center | University of Wyoming | Home

Old 10-17-2013, 05:01 PM

61 posts, read 88,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J D Grayman View Post
.... After a while, I decided that they weren't worth my time. It is a group that largely lives for civil disobedience, ... primarily interested in Marijuana legalization, which I could care less about. ....
+1

After some interaction with them I came to the conclusion that although the mission statement sounds good they seemed to have a preoccupation with chalking sidewalks, taunting police officers, and other adolescent nonsense that would prevent them from ever becoming a creditable force.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 PM

276 posts, read 448,415 times
Quote:
Didn't you say your company was technology? Everything is done on high speed dsl or fibre optics these days. One click - over your voip is Sweden and another click - with your supplier in Japan or Taiwan. This is the high tech corridor. The Univ of Wyoming excels in this field.

http://www.manta.com/mb_43_G4_51/inf...nology/wyoming

WTBC | Wyoming Technology Business Center | University of Wyoming | Home
Wyoming sounds like a great place for you then - I'm glad you like it so much

Old 10-18-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
Wyoming sounds like a great place for you then - I'm glad you like it so much
It really is - and we are retiring there next year. Already have lined up our building for on flow tech unit.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Wyoming ... Wyoming ... Wyoming
How does this work itself into a New Hampshire forum?
Wyoming: least populous state, on merit; 75% of whom live in its small statistical areas, living off taxes paid by the rest of Americans.
Enjoy your retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire