Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 PM

174 posts, read 501,877 times

Advertisements

I used to be very interested in politics though less than I am now. I became an active libertarian around '05 and was pretty active through the '08 and '10 elections. In the past 2-3 years I've basically gotten more moderate. I still consider myself to be fiscally conservative, socially liberal overall but I've backed off the libertarian label, usually I just call myself an independent. I was once 100% on all the issues, now I'm maybe 80%.

Anyway I remember around the 2008 elections with Ron Paul and all that I started listening to Free Talk Live and got very interested in the Free State Project. I no longer care about the FSP and if I moved to NH it would be for the economy but I recall a lot of people did not like it or support it. It seemed to be dividing some NH communities. From what I saw it seemed the most were in Keene followed by Manchester and Nashua. A lot of them seemed to avoid the Seacoast because supposedly this was the most die-hard liberal part of NH. I wouldn't know because all my info came through internet and radio. As I've focused more on career and become more apolitical I have lost track of it.

Is the FSP still active in NH or has interest waned?

Is it still as controversial as it once was, or has it gotten more or less controversial?

What are your personal thoughts on it? Has it affected the state or is it just a small group with no major impact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 PM

6,548 posts, read 6,705,022 times
Small group of potheads & cranks from what I have seen. Not too impressed. I'm sure some of them have an understanding of the troubles we face, but in general they seem unfocused. Aside from making a splash off & on in the Keene area they are a nonfactor here in NH.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,212,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Small group of potheads & cranks from what I have seen. Not too impressed. I'm sure some of them have an understanding of the troubles we face, but in general they seem unfocused. Aside from making a splash off & on in the Keene area they are a nonfactor here in NH.
I wouldn't make Keene your measuring stick for freestaters. All the freestaters I know are professionals who don't use drugs but also don't think the government should dictate you ingest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP
What are your personal thoughts on it? Has it affected the state or is it just a small group with no major impact?
Most people who complain about the FSP are big.gov liberals and big.gov RINOs.

I moved to NH not because of the FSP but because I'm a libertarian who thinks NH is the best option in New England for the least amount of .gov extortion and freedom stealing.

I have encouraged others in New England who dislike the .gov states of MA and CT to do the same and they have. This last wave of CT firearms b.s. has also accelerated other freedom lovers in that state to make their move to NH sooner than originally planned.

I'm no fan of a small portion of libertarians protesting in Keene, however I think the majority of true libertarians have much better ways to spend their weekends.

Bottom line is who cares what others think, do what is best for you. If you're a libertarian and want to live in New England, in my opinion NH is the best choice.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 AM

276 posts, read 447,398 times
I consider myself a Free Stater who is planning to move to NH. Im sure there are some dopey ones who only care about being able to smoke marijuana, in general it seems like a pretty upstanding group.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:08 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,939,089 times
They were obnoxious and out to make police and their families lives hell in Keene. Posted our address, video taped in officers faces in dangerous situations, sat outside officers homes and video taped their kids and then put their addresses online encouraging others to stand outside their homes and harasses their wives, children etc. They purposely broke the law then cried when they were arrested. Smoked pot outside schools, women went topless in front of children and screamed injustice when they were charged. Just take a look at their awesome videos on youtube. Hell you can even see anything about Keene without the freestaters plastered all over it. I don't know how they are in the rest of the state but I lived in the hub of it and they were out to make peoples lives miserable. I agree with Brave Stranger.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,487,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
They were obnoxious and out to make police and their families lives hell in Keene. Posted our address, video taped in officers faces in dangerous situations, sat outside officers homes and video taped their kids and then put their addresses online encouraging others to stand outside their homes and harasses their wives, children etc. They purposely broke the law then cried when they were arrested. Smoked pot outside schools, women went topless in front of children and screamed injustice when they were charged. Just take a look at their awesome videos on youtube. Hell you can even see anything about Keene without the freestaters plastered all over it. I don't know how they are in the rest of the state but I lived in the hub of it and they were out to make peoples lives miserable. I agree with Brave Stranger.
They cant be that bad if they scared you back to florida...

Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,678,566 times
Have the free staters done anything good?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
They cant be that bad if they scared you back to florida...
They didn't scare me back to florida they were annoying and obnoxious. You couldn't go a day without a rally or protest or demonstration in central square. They've ruined a pretty town with their nonsense. Even the residence of Keene didn't want them there, they filtered in from around the country simply to create chaos in a quiet town, it was sad to watch

Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Have the free staters done anything good?
If they did it was overshadowed by all the other b.s. they pulled

Old 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,212,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
They didn't scare me back to florida they were annoying and obnoxious. You couldn't go a day without a rally or protest or demonstration in central square. They've ruined a pretty town with their nonsense. Even the residence of Keene didn't want them there, they filtered in from around the country simply to create chaos in a quiet town, it was sad to watch
Maybe they gave up? I'm in Keene about every other weekend and my better half works there, neither of us have seen any shirtless FSP protesters. There is the occasional anti-war/bush/obama hippy in central square but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire